Next Thread
Print Thread
W
Wigu Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Lately - following Stabbey's advice - I've been thinking about going 2h dps pure warfare; ranger with some geo skills for buffing; summoner with a bit of pyro and aero (mostly buffs and cc cleansing, as well as teleportation) and a sword/board necro/hydro dude (with hydro just for healing).
So mostly physical dmg.
The thing is, this comp feels a bit too OP (on classic at least, and I don't like the 'boost enemy hp/lower your dmg' school of difficulty levels)
I started murdering fort joy and with some basic tactics (like not attacking everyone at once) I breezed through it right until the torturer with the caged ghouls guy - I leveled up from 2 to 4 in the process and actually didost of it with 3 chars - (lost Lahse, my ranger - didn't have res scrolls).
It proved to be quite a breeze, compared to other parties I used.
Is the game going to get more challenging later on?
Cause tactics are what makes combat so much fun (and truth be told - just like Stabby said - I was getting a bit frustrated with one magical damage dealer as he was pretty useless on his own)

I thought about going hydro/necro tank; 2h murdersmith; hydro/aero enchanter; and a pyro/geo wizard. Will that make the game a bit more balanced? Or will the game balance itself out even with a full phys team?

Another solution I came up with was to go with just three physical dmg chars, but I need my custom guy (I can't play rpgs with premade characters - I couldn't even finish Witcher 3, even though it was an awesome game) and I've already grown attached to Fane, Lahse and the Red Prince.

Will the game stay challenging with a full phys party or should I go with 2/2?

veteran
veteran
You can still buy a Res scroll and go back to ressurect Lohse as long, as you don't finish the Act.

It is pretty unlikely to get thougher, this game is more of the kind: start difficult, finish far to easy.

W
Wigu Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
About Lahse -thanks, but that won't be needed. I scrapped the entire playthrough - I was just testing builds. Unfortunately, I'm still in the 'which builds/what party comp do I pick?' phase (50 hours in :D)

So would a 2h dps; necro tank; hydro/aero enchanter; pyro/geo wizard be more challenging? I felt like with the physical team I didn't have to employ ANY tactics apart from some common sense.

L
stranger
stranger
L
Game only gets easier as you progress. Ironically, it's like the first 5 actual fights which are the hardest in the game. Unless actively gimping yourself, even tactician is extremely easy.

So fear not my dude, and keep pumping warfare and you'll soon one hit kill everything in the game.

journeyman
journeyman
Hardest fights in the game are the one in Fort Joy : the crocodilians, the frogs, the arena, Knilles, Alexandar, Voidbeast in the woods, necro witch in the cavern.

After that point, you scale really hard, and you unlock source spells.

During Act2, the game switches from "I need to survive Fort Joy" to "I need to become GOD". If you understand the game mechanics, you will not cheese a lot anymore, you will just unleash hell.

But playing classic and saying "I don't like tactician because it's bad difficulty design" while still wanting more challenge is a bit... silly ?
I only play on tactician and I feel like it's the way the game was built around, I find it really easy already so I can't imagine the bore you feel when you play on classic.

I personally find it stupid to search for balance in this kind of game : I mean the main goal of rpg is to become fucking op by finding the perfect stromp team.

But really, don't play on classic if you really want that much to use some tactics from time to time. Classic is for discovering rpg for the first time in your life, thats it.

Last edited by CollaSama; 12/10/17 11:33 PM.
W
Wigu Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Originally Posted by CollaSama
Hardest fights in the game are the one in Fort Joy : the crocodilians, the frogs, the arena, Knilles, Alexandar, Voidbeast in the woods, necro witch in the cavern.

After that point, you scale really hard, and you unlock source spells.

During Act2, the game switches from "I need to survive Fort Joy" to "I need to become GOD". If you understand the game mechanics, you will not cheese a lot anymore, you will just unleash hell.

But playing classic and saying "I don't like tactician because it's bad difficulty design" while still wanting more challenge is a bit... silly ?
I only play on tactician and I feel like it's the way the game was built around, I find it really easy already so I can't imagine the bore you feel when you play on classic.

I personally find it stupid to search for balance in this kind of game : I mean the main goal of rpg is to become fucking op by finding the perfect stromp team.

But really, don't play on classic if you really want that much to use some tactics from time to time. Classic is for discovering rpg for the first time in your life, thats it.

Oh but I do agree about the becoming op. The key word is 'becoming', though. With a full phys party I felt I was too powerful right at the beginning. Warfare/necro/summons/ranger is just raw power that tears through enemies without much thought. And I like to think ahead in this game - actually consider the initiative order, remeber which skills are on cooldown etc.

I went with 2 phys/ 2 magic and I'm having much more fun now. Lvl 3 currently and crocodiles, frogs, griff and arena were all really fun and not too easy, but I still felt like everyone contributed (unlike a 3 phys/ 1 magic comp).

The only strange thing is that for some reason, this time enemies mostly tend to target my necro tank and my 2H dps, which is obvoiusly exactly what I want. They used to be more unpredictable in my previous 'test drives'. I'm not quite sure why that happens.

S
stranger
stranger
S
If you go pure magic or pure physical the game will be easy.

3 DPS (2hander/Rogue or Ranger) and 1 supportive Geo/Hydro is probably the best four character party there is. Its unkillable, and obliterates everything easily.

You can get a similar effect from going four mages, although iv found mages are not nearly as good at DPS until late Act 2.

This armor system makes it so having a hybrid party simply isnt as good as a pure party. So if you find it easy you should probably take a hybrid to just make it harder.

W
Wigu Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
I actually restarted the game AGAIN and went with a full physical build on tactician. True, I'm not a fan of simple stat boosting, but even with a 2/2 team, classic mode was a bit too easy. I just came up to Kniles and smacked him over the head on lvl 4, with my entire group standing there together like idiots and still won the fight without using a single rez scroll. But the fight with Griff at lvl 3 on tactician was really fun - still not super hard (probably because Waltz was out on the town) but it required much more planning than classic mode.

And it's true what people say, gear can make you MUCH more powerful even at such low levels. Skills, too. With restoration on my cleric type red prince, migo's ring on my summoner and first aid on my Lohse ranger (who also found a sweet lvl 4 crossbow that does like 12-14 dmg) and Butter helping on top of that, we were pretty much unkillable. I need to replay that fight with Waltz in the house.

And I loved it how - when I reloaded the Kniles fight and switched to tactician - he just turned my 2H into a chicken and rolled me so horribly. It was basically a 'rhino vs shopping cart' type situation.

I
journeyman
journeyman
I
You know what makes the game really easy? Knowing encounters and where you can go for easy exp and loot while also power gaming.

You know what makes it hard? Not having insight and not metagaming to win.

gambling on some rng cc affect is not a deep strategic decision. It's just a sign of gambling addiction.
W
Wigu Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Unless you're a dumb fuck, like I am. Then everything's hard. I was really liking this 'phull phys' team, was about to into the holding cells after beating Griff and the arena and how surprised I was to learn that you can have not ONE but TWO tags? Time to start THE FUCK over.

Link Copied to Clipboard