Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Unique items are great, but the fairly rapid scaling means that they quickly start to feel underpowered just like random equipment.

Another, unrelated issue is that players can be drowning in runes towards the end of the game.

But what if there was a way to alleviate both those issues at once?

Three crafting recipes:

• Unique Item + 4 Small Runes (any type) = Unique Item scaled to your level.
  • Unique Item + 3 Medium Runes (any type) = Unique Item scaled to your level.
  • Unique Item + 2 Large Runes (any type) = Unique Item scaled to your level.

By "scaled to your level", I mean that its armor or damage is brought up to match the armor or damage of a high-quality item of the same level as the player. EDIT: Rings and Amulets have armor values, so they can also be scaled up.

This allows players to spend some of their Runes to bring a favorite Unique Item or two up to their level. And this is repeatable for the same item, of course.

It probably won't be easy to do this for every unique item - at least not until late in the game (depending on how many runes will be available) - so players won't lose the thrill of finding a new piece of random gear.

Being able to use runes of any type (Source Orbs count as Large) means that it can clean up some of the odd runes which can be left over littering the inventory.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Stabbey; 13/10/17 04:02 PM. Reason: its not it's
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Good idea. It needs a cost and using runes seems not a bad way of providing that.

Rings and amulets to get armour upgraded as well? Would be nice to upgrade amulet of the void to your level (for the stun immunity) for example.

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by lx07
Good idea. It needs a cost and using runes seems not a bad way of providing that.

Rings and amulets to get armour upgraded as well? Would be nice to upgrade amulet of the void to your level (for the stun immunity) for example.

They have an armor value, so yes, rings and amulets could get upgraded as well.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
This is definitely a nice way of doing it. I don't know if it really fits in with your idea, but I figure it'd be nice to extend this to all armour and kill two birds with one rune, as a number of people (myself included) would like to be able to continue to have the appearance of the starting armour later in the game.

J'aime le fromage.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by vometia
I figure it'd be nice to extend this to all armour
That is what I understood - you could upgrade anything (boots, armor, hats, rings, pendants) and the armour would increase. Or you could upgrade any weapon and it would too - presumably updating magical/physical to be in line with your level.

So you could (with a *lot* of runes obviously) upgrade the entire braccus set, the amulet from the deepdweller and the sword you get for killing Slane (shame on me) or Dallis' Hammer.

Scaling pure damage crossbow? Oh mercy...

Trap Strats: DOS1:EE? Cheese - DOS2? Mashed potatoes - Proper nutrition is key to dungeon delving.
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by vometia
This is definitely a nice way of doing it. I don't know if it really fits in with your idea, but I figure it'd be nice to extend this to all armour and kill two birds with one rune, as a number of people (myself included) would like to be able to continue to have the appearance of the starting armour later in the game.

I suppose that I don't really see any reason why this could not apply to all equipment and not just uniques.

Seems like an easy solution, but a bit boring if the aim is more ambitious than only making use of the sea of runes and useless unique items.

I think it would be more interesting if we could craft any combination of attributes we please (up to the limit of maximum number of attributes and maximum values for each attribute), with some really prohibitive but not entirely brutal recipe requirements.

Example:

I want a lvl 20 Air staff with the skill Thunderstorm, 10% crit chance, +5 Int and 2 rune slots.

Recipe: Basic lvl 20 Air Staff + Thunderstorm Skill book + 3 source orb + Whisperwood + 2 unique rings of any level/type.

The example is arbitrary, but that's the idea. Anyway, this is something that could be implemented through mods with some work.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard