Next Thread
Print Thread
V
Varlak Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
V
Hi I'm a total noob to Divinity and even after reading various guide and wiki skill I'm still completly lost.

I'd like to make a rogue focused around control and magic using if possible. Anyone know a good build for that ? Is going 1h + barehand for sucker punch worth it ?

By control I mean a rogue who will focus on CC and Debuffing rather then insane burst.

I've heard its bether to have 2 physical and 2 magical dmg user to deal with shielding so here is the team composition I plan to play:

Physical tank
Rogue (either physical or ele)
Mage like user (healer + elemental dmg)
Then depending on rogue dmg type I'll either make another mage or an archer.

Its my first time so I'll just play on normal difficulty.

Any help will be apreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Varlak; 13/10/17 04:17 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Sucker punch is fairly useful, but it doesn't outweigh the benefit of dual-wielding. Your physical tank should be the one knocking people down anyways.

A CC and debuff rogue is a bit counterintuitive, since most (if not all) scoundrel skills are designed for up close burst damage. You'd basically have a mage with relatively useless melee skills.

Scoundrel+necromancer is a great combo since you get healed for the damage you deal and you can add some useful skills, like bone cage and decaying touch. Necromancers get a lot of debuff skills as well, so it might be up your alley. You should also pick up some skills in pyromancy, like haste and clear mind.

apprentice
apprentice
That being said, battlemages are feasible. I built Beast around aerothurge, hydrosophy, and warfare, as an example. He mostly CC's and heals at range, but with battering ram and battlestomp I could get him to knock enemies down after they were weakened by my 2-h warrior and ranger.

Once I got phoenix dive, blitz attack, and whirlwind he became even more useful. He never replaced my physical damage dealers, but it was nice to have an extra shot at downing enemies that I couldn't finish off with a previous character.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Expand upon Shadowblade preset if you want go sucker punch route ->leave poly at 1 and go warfare+scoundrel for a balance between cc and burst damage (your memory slots will get filled up very fast)

Otherwise for a controler I would go Poly+Warfare if you want to focus on executing and manipulating opponents.

Also fun fact, sword and board is the worst choice for a tank,but the best choice for a battle-healer type build. I would recomend you make a magical tank by geting 2 wands or wand & shield+ strenght gear and go Scoundrel(2)+Summoning(10) route over a physical tank.As far as I know you don't need Salvage Sortilage to make those wands crit because wand attacks don't count as spells.

Last edited by Draco359; 13/10/17 05:13 PM.
veteran
veteran
If you want a control rogue focused around debuffs, start with the Shadowblade preset. You can pick up a second knife if you wish before trouble starts on the boat. If you later find that the damage loss from going single-handed does not outweigh the benefit from sucker punch you can always switch to dual-wielding later.

For control you want at least the Rogue skills Chloroform, Gag Order, Rupture Tendons, Cloak and Dagger, Sawtooth Blade, and there are others as well. You probably also want to take Polymorpher 2 for Chameleon Cloak, Chicken Claw, Medusa Head, Spider Legs, and Spread your Wings.

In terms of Elemental Schools, Aero offers a few things, like Netherswap, Teleport, and Blinding Radiance, and maybe even Evasive Aura for dodging. You want high mobility to get around the battlefield, so I would take Huntsman 1 for Duck Duck Goose so you don't have to burn precious Movement skills to get close to enemies, and it also lets you take First Aid to help clear statuses which land on you.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard