Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Void creatures come from the void. I like to picture them like cultists from lovecraft I guess, like the void beings from that movie The Void that came out not to long ago.

Where are the demons from? Also, why are they immune to deathfog? I dragged deathfog barrels to the evil Demon Ardamalik's house and filled his house with deathfog to kill him quick. It didn't hurt anyone in the whole place... that don't seem right to me.

veteran
veteran
Regarding the first game, demons come from a different plane, if I remember correctly.

veteran
veteran
This might have changed since lore in the Divinity universe is inconsistent, but here's the original idea:

Zizzax: Clorex zibrib. Listen now. I start from beginning. All this world made by the Gods in the time before there was death. They make trees, flowers, animals, rocks and all sorts...

Lucian: That I could have guessed. What good are the Gods if they didn't make everything to start with?

Zizzax: Ziggurunt meggrax! Shut up and listen! One of the Gods, called himself Lord of Chaos. He broke the rules and made intelligent creatures to be his slaves. He called them demons, and that succubus you killed is being an excellent example. Zix zzix!

Lucian: So demons were the first intelligent race?

Zizzax: Soodix. Yes, indeed. They the oldest and be hating the newcomers as they call all the rest like you and me. Other Gods got angry at Lord of Chaos and tried to kill the demons. But that not work so Gods made their own intelligent races to fight by them - elves, humans, orcs, imps, dwarves, trolls, lizards... all of us who not demons, in fact. Understand?

Lucian: I remember my mother telling me stories about the Gods, but I never heard this...

Zizzax: Zickoid! This long-buried history. Soon it became clear that even with little mortal helpers to fight Lord of Chaos and his demons, good Gods still going to lose. So good Gods decide to play dirty. They left this physical world forever and this sucked old Chaos Lord along with them. But he got stuck between the spirit and physical plane. There he trapped and place called Hell grew around him. Understand?

Lucian: Not exactly...

Zizzax: Hrootix! Good, at least you paying attention. Nobody really understands what happened to old Chaos. Now listen to more. Mortal races eventually kill all the demons. All demons go down to hell to play with big bad Lord of Chaos, ha ha. But sometimes demons find ways to come back to Land of the Living. Possess minds and tear-up innocent people. So good Gods, who now live only in spirit-world, choose certain mortals to become champions against evil...

https://lparchive.org/Divine-Divinity/Update%2076/

enthusiast
enthusiast
Huh. Interesting. Question is: is this still canon? Would be cool, if wen can solve this in the next game. I mean, it wouldn't be hard, the groundwork is already there and most of the holes in the Divinity Lore are gaps, that just need to be filled.

Last edited by Zelon; 15/10/17 04:02 PM.
veteran
veteran
There's no point trying to hope for consistency in the lore. Something which is canon in this game might be non-canon in the next game, but canon again two games from now.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Eh, fiction is all about lying. The question how good you can write the "no-no, this is THE REAL TRUTH" - stuff^^. And one of the recurring theme of the series is, that you have to discover the lies of your forebears, so I can still forgive them some hickups. People lie in this games, a lot.

But I agree on one complaint, that I read a lot: the timeline got very complicated in all this years, so they should conclude this storyline with the next game and then ... dunno, 10.000 years later and we have Steampunk Dragons again?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zelon
Eh, fiction is all about lying. The question how good you can write the "no-no, this is THE REAL TRUTH" - stuff^^. And one of the recurring theme of the series is, that you have to discover the lies of your forebears, so I can still forgive them some hickups. People lie in this games, a lot.

No, this is not NPC's lying, it's just the developers being more interested in whatever the latest idea the writers came up with and deciding that is the new canon, never mind whatever happened in other games.

This is not an attack on Larian or the writers. That approach gives a lot of freedom to the writers to do whatever they want, which makes them happy... but it means world-building is uneven.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Originally Posted by Zelon

No, this is not NPC's lying, it's just the developers being more interested in whatever the latest idea the writers came up with and deciding that is the new canon, never mind whatever happened in other games.

This is not an attack on Larian or the writers. That approach gives a lot of freedom to the writers to do whatever they want, which makes them happy... but it means world-building is uneven.

Or they have finally the budget to flesh out the universe as they want and the hackened state of Rivellon before was the result of lacking said budget. But compared to the Ultima series (who I swear to god, altered their universe every time), the changes were minor and little. The Demon God is a bigger detail, so when they retcon it in the next game, well than I agree to you. But to be honest, this was such a minor thing, I'm impressed you still remember it.

What was a major retcon in my book, was the endfight between the Black Ring and Lucian armys (if we can trust the source), where they told us that Damian died (of course he didn't but if you remember Beyond Divinity a few years ago, the fight between him and Lucian was very different, from what we 're told in D:OSII). That gets way more on my nerves, because you wouldn't need Damian for that. It wouldn't have cost them much effor to write "The Black Ring lost their leader, but still marched on" and that would've be it. But it still can be a devise, to fill the hole for Divinity 2, while still making it interesting for new players (because let's be honest, "I killed the whole army, while they were without the big Antichrist" isn't a very exciting read and makes the Divine look like an idiot).

Last edited by Zelon; 15/10/17 06:47 PM.
V
journeyman
journeyman
V
my only question is: Where does deathfog come from?

Undead don't get affected by deathfog, so as demon. Both of these race must come from same plane, or deathfog only kill non-eternal races.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Violet Gekko
my only question is: Where does deathfog come from?

Undead don't get affected by deathfog, so as demon. Both of these race must come from same plane, or deathfog only kill non-eternal races.

I think it gets explained at the end of the game? Maybe? Don't want to spoil it, but I guess it is just magic fog that can be crafted, since they transport it in barrels.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard