Print Thread
#632482 20/10/17 02:11 PM
L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Hey people,
I have 2 separate playthroughs. First one is two mage characters ( cyromancer and a pyromancer ) and I'm really showing good process with them, nothing very challenging yet.
My recently started second game however, includes a witch and a wayfarer and I can't tell how struggling it is win battles with them. My witch is a dual-wield dagger + necro heavy build but I almost always have to go all physical damage ( scoundrel and wayfare abilities ) to actually be able to kill them, because destroying both physical + magical armor for every enemy is just a guaranteed lost.
I can provide more info about this issue if needed, but I don't wanna talk too much initially :)
My question is ; anyone having luck with hybrid builds? The distinction between armor types makes it so incredibly hard to play a hybrid character. Help me a little out here please?

Last edited by laidback; 20/10/17 02:11 PM.
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Depends on what you mean by hybrid - are we talking physical/magic damage hybrid? I haven't found any combination yet that seems to outperform a pure class, no.

But if we are talking about melee/spells, there are quite a number of spells available, especially in necro/geo that either does physical damage or checks for physical armor. My DW rogue is running mosquito swarm and corrosive touch and my 2h warrior is running earthquake for instance. Still kind of fits the fantasy, and works quite well.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Archer is a good "hybrid" because poison and water arrows are easy and cheap to craft.
Its great source of magic AOE surfaces and damage (Enrage skill from warfare tree, will buff this magic arrows damage even further)
And you don't need to sacrifice even 1% physical damage.

Also, any mage+necro build can use dagger+shield, with minimal stat investment and gain access to scoundrel/warfare CC abilities. Grasp of the starved + battle stomp works really great.

You can also make powerful necro build when you put all points in INT and 10 in warfare.
The main source of damage will be physical damage from necro spells, but you can still use other schools because of high int.

veteran
veteran
Generally speaking, each character should specialize in either Physical or Magical damage, because as you realized, it is usually a waste of time trying to get down two armors at once with the same character.

Hybrids in this game are generally a physical damage dealer picking buff and utility skills which don't require points into INT and using them to complement and aid them.

Originally Posted by Stabbey
Hybrids in this game are generally a physical damage dealer picking buff and utility skills which don't require points into INT and using them to complement and aid them.

Pretty much this.

Every hero should dabble in the main schools of magic, they're just so helpful for the buffs. However, you can't really afford to 'do both'.

It's funny, there's a Battle-mage class in-game, but it's not viable at all, which is disappointing. The closest 'battlemage' thing I can think of, is my Sebille rogue with poisoned blades.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Rogues could work as hybrid. They have access to 2 magic armor braking skills (Gag Order and Chloroform) scaling with finesse

Fighters classes could also work as hybrid since flay skin and medusa head scales with str.

Summoners could work as hybrid as they could switch summons/infusions based on encounters. All summons scale with summoning skills so there are no penalties.

Mages? Nope. You can't learn corrosive touch until the final chapter.

Last edited by sehnsucht; 21/10/17 03:49 AM.
L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
I really like the idea of witch and inquisitor, but seems that there is no point in playing them on tactician, which is very disappointing.. My witch is a dual-dagger who has 27 finesse and 24 intelligence. 6 points in dual-wield, 8 necromancer, 5 scoundrel, 6 warfare and 3 aerotheurge.
I really hope there will be some balancing patches regarding this damage type issue :)

Originally Posted by sehnsucht
Fighters classes could also work as hybrid since flay skin and medusa head scales with str.

Lol, why hybrid when you can Hulk smash? AKA Overpower.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by sehnsucht
Rogues could work as hybrid. They have access to 2 magic armor braking skills (Gag Order and Chloroform) scaling with finesse

Summoners could work as hybrid as they could switch summons/infusions based on encounters. All summons scale with summoning skills so there are no penalties.

Mages? Nope. You can't learn corrosive touch until the final chapter.

Sure, rogues have access to a few magic armor reducing skills, but unless you are running 3 mages, would you rather not use something else? Also, Gag Order is an unfathomable 3 AP, but doesn't do close to 3x the damage of Chloroform.

V
stranger
stranger
V
If I understand you right by hybrids you mean playing 1 elemental character and 1 physical one ?

With the lonewolf talent it just plain not work well I'd say.

Each character spend their first round deplating the same enemy protections so they don't even put a dent on its vitality or each one focus on a different target.

For a lonewolf party you must focus on 1 damage type and stick it it (wich I find boring).

For a 4 players team I'd say both strat goes well (2phy + 2 ele or either 4 character doing the same damage type).

The fun thing in a mixed setup is that you can fully utilise everyones tool.

My Red prince is a 2h user focusing on low armor target but I can use his dragon breath to assist my 2 elemental caster on focusing 1 target if I need too.

If my caster downed some magic shield on a target and I fear what this enemy could do to me on his playing turn I can use my scoundrel clhoro to finish it barrier and put him to sleep for 1 turn. And then I can use my remaining action points on downing another target with no physical armor left.

Going for 1 damage type on 4 character is really powerfull but you can't utilise all fo your tool I'd say.

Last edited by Varlak; 26/10/17 02:19 PM.
W
apprentice
apprentice
W
I havent played with the lone wolf talent and i like having a 4 man party. For that i have a warrior a rogue a hunter and red prince as a pyro. So far in normal diffuculty i can handle myself and fights are normal. Pyro has so much damage that i usually teleport a melee opponent far from the group then i slow him and within 2 turns he is dead. With just 2 characters and lone wolf i find it way too hard (at least in my mind) to be able to do both magic and physical damage so you can kill something.
As mentioned previously , in a 4 man party its easier to have 2 physical damage dealers and 2 magic ones.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard