Next Thread
Print Thread
E
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
E
Greetings, all!

What damage boosts/penalties (from skills, stats, items, race, etc.) are additive? Which are multiplicative?

Thankee!

H
stranger
stranger
H
Damage = (Base Damage) x (1 + Elemental Bonus%) x (1 + Attribute Bonus% + Weapon Skill Bonus% + Misc Bonuses%) x (1 + High Ground Bonus% + Crit Bonus%)

- Base Damage can be from weapons or spells
- Warfare is the "physical" Elemental Bonus%
- Weapon Skill Bonus% = Single-Handed, Dual Wielding, Ranged. **
- Misc Bonuses% = other damage buffs, usually granted from spells such as Death Wish ***

** Two Handed is a notable exception because it gives 5% damage per point and 5% crit bonus.

*** Death Wish is probably not a good example because the math works as stated above for weapon damage. Its different for spell damage. Death Wish buff results in much, much more damage from spells than from weapons. Is this intentional? Only Larian knows.

When people talk about "additive" buffs, they mean damage buffs that are added together in one factor. So Finesse and Dual Wielding are the same class of damage buff because 1 point in Finesse is functionally the same as 1 point in Dual Wielding. You add them up and the sum is multiplied against everything else.

Damage calculation in D:OS2 is a multiplication of factors. If you have 10 points in Warfare (50% damage buff), 15 Finesse (25% damage buff) and 5 Dual Wielding (25% damage buff) then on a melee non crit you do

Base Damage x 1.5 x 1.5

You get 2 attribute points per level up but only 1 combat ability point. Over the entire game your attribute/weapon skill factor is going to be a bigger multiplier than your elemental factor because its much easier to get points in Finesse than it is to get points in Warfare. Finesse also has a much higher cap. The more Finesse you have relative to Warfare, the more valuable each point in Warfare becomes.

Lets say your attribute/weapon skill factor is x1.8 and your elemental factor is x1.2. Again, melee non crit.

1.8 x 1.2 = 2.16 times base damage
1.5 x 1.5 = 2.25 times base damage

Due to stat allocation on level up and stat distribution on gear, 1 point in Warfare is always more valuable than 1 point in Dual Wielding for damage output. The only time it makes sense to get Dual Wielding is if you get it on an item slot where Warfare cannot roll but Dual Wielding can. That or you really want the dodge% for whatever reason.

Last edited by Hayte; 27/10/17 08:06 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
It isn't just death wish, flesh sacrifice and thick of the fight also add on attacks and multiply on spells. I would display it like this:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Sharp; 27/10/17 11:13 PM.
E
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
E
Wow! Thankee!

What item modifiers can appear/generate on which item slots?

H
stranger
stranger
H
Originally Posted by Sharp
It isn't just death wish, flesh sacrifice and thick of the fight also add on attacks and multiply on spells.

Huh, thats interesting.

When I did testing with Death Wish + Fireball and fire wands, the only way I could get close to calculating the damage range of a DWed Fireball was to assume DW buff as an independent multiplier.

So it seems they all work this way? Maybe they did it to compensate for the lack of physical resistance/immunity.

Last edited by Hayte; 28/10/17 03:42 AM.
E
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
E
Hayte: This seems so spiffy that it should be a game guide on Steam!

https://steamcommunity.com/app/435150/guides/

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Hayte
Originally Posted by Sharp
It isn't just death wish, flesh sacrifice and thick of the fight also add on attacks and multiply on spells.

Huh, thats interesting.

When I did testing with Death Wish + Fireball and fire wands, the only way I could get close to calculating the damage range of a DWed Fireball was to assume DW buff as an independent multiplier.

So it seems they all work this way? Maybe they did it to compensate for the lack of physical resistance/immunity.

That was my initial thought as well except for the fact that necromancy scales with warfare and has multiplicative damage buffs, but also no phys resistance.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Hello guys smile first of all thanks for your advice and precious informations ! I just come to ask where did you get it ? Is there any officials informations or any way to find the math in the game file or maybe GM mode ? Maybe this is obvious for you but really I cant find it :s

H
stranger
stranger
H
A reddit user called asurreptitiousllama worked it out by creating a weapon in GM mode and then using trial and error to figure out how all the stats increase damage and how they interact.

Devs normally don't show their math. You just have to figure it out using a weapon with the same min/max damage (makes things easier), then hitting a bad dude over and over and recording the damage increase from each stat until you can predict the damage dealt when you just increase your stats to whatever.

In Diablo III, all of the math was figured out by users on the forum, then thrown into google doc spreadsheets.

Last edited by Hayte; 30/10/17 02:20 PM.
E
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
E
Thankee! Alleluia!

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard