Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Hello, I'm working on a mod that teleports me to a new location I've been working on as an add-on to the core game. My problem is that when I enter this area, I lose access to my previous waypoints and when I teleport back out of the level, my waypoints still have not returned. What is the cause of this?

I'm not sure what is causing the waypoints to disappear. Do I need to clasify the new level as a region or sub region? And if so how?

Thank you.

journeyman
journeyman
Same for me. Very disappointing. It basicly makes creating new addon levels useless

T
addict
addict
T
Waypoints are unfortunately the least of your problems. The levels of the core game have been completely scripted as "once you leave, you never come back": their scripts assume they get initialised only once, and many shut down after you leave the level.

You can, however, add extra terrains to the existing levels and put your add-on content there.

journeyman
journeyman
How do you create extra terrain and put a level we created in it ?

Last edited by Volsungh; 28/10/17 08:52 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Volsungh
How do you create extra terrain and put a level we created in it ?

Make a new item in root template browser, set it as a level template and under "Level name", point to the level you've made. Then drag and drop that into another map just as any other item and it'll drop your level there. Though probably have to restart the editor for the new level template to show up in the browser, at least I always have to.

old hand
old hand
You could try using a level template for that.
  • Go to the root templates panel and select the "create new" icon.
  • From the "2) Select Type" drop down menu, choose "Level Template"
  • Under "3) Properties" and the "Misc->Level Name" category, select the level you want to import from the drop down menu.
  • Under the "4) Name" property, give your level template a name. This is the name that will appear in the root template list of level templates.
  • Use the "Place New Object" Mode like you would for other objects in a level to add your new level template to the level.

The neat thing about level templates is that you can now go back and edit the original level that produced the template and your changes should be reflected back in the other levels that make use of it as a template. This can really improve design performance within big levels that are comprised of several terrains. Instead of loading the entire level with all the terrains, you can use level templates and work on the individual pieces as desired.

In the levels where you added the level template, you will notice that it appears as a single blob. You can't edit the individual pieces that comprise the template by default. You can either edit the original level or choose to 'explode' the level template in the level where it is being used. You do this by right mouse clicking the level template and choose "Explode Level". This will essentially create a full local copy of the level from which the level template was made. The consequence of doing so is that changes made in the original level file will no longer be reflected in the exploded level template. Larian's workflow was typically to do this at the end once that level was "done".

Good luck!

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
I've gone ahead and moved my assets into the master file far away from where it could (hopefully) interfere with core content. What a pain in the butt for content creators. Ugh. Oh well, lesson learned. At least I was able to migrate most of it.

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard