Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#634593 30/10/17 09:55 AM
OP Offline
Acid status resisted by phys armor? So what's the point? Especialy on some weapons like daggers... Seems useless. Am i wrong?

Sergey Butsenov #634597 30/10/17 10:09 AM
Is it..? As a surface it's applied anyway. I know it's countered by fortify.

What's the spell?

Trap Strats: DOS1:EE? Cheese - DOS2? Mashed potatoes - Proper nutrition is key to dungeon delving.
CatR #634608 30/10/17 11:16 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by CatR
Is it..? As a surface it's applied anyway. I know it's countered by fortify.

What's the spell?

What surface? There is no acid surface.
Corrosive spray is the skill. But i'm worry most about weapons because it could be useful, but the status is blocked by armor. I'd say it's useless to apply status that reducing armor only when there is no armor left.

Sergey Butsenov #634637 30/10/17 02:48 PM
K
apprentice
apprentice
K
It's not blocked by armor, it destroys phys armor each turn. And cursed poison = acid

Kawall #634645 30/10/17 04:04 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Kawall
It's not blocked by armor, it destroys phys armor each turn. And cursed poison = acid

Ok, didn't know about cursed poison. But why i always see something like "unable to apply acid" on hits? It was applied couple of times after armor is already gone think

Last edited by Sergey Butsenov; 30/10/17 04:04 PM.
Sergey Butsenov #634664 30/10/17 05:46 PM
veteran
veteran
Ye, I agree, having Acid blocked by it is completely pointless. Just like Taunt - why is that still a thing?

Sergey Butsenov #634689 30/10/17 08:03 PM
I'm using a mod that allows minor effects to apply regardless of armor, it's pretty good. If you run through a massive inferno, you should probably be lit on fire.

Alexstrasza #634705 30/10/17 09:42 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Alexstrasza
I'm using a mod that allows minor effects to apply regardless of armor, it's pretty good. If you run through a massive inferno, you should probably be lit on fire.

I like that my Magic Armor do its magic thing, don't ask me how... I'll just answer magic and to me that works.

Stabbey #634718 30/10/17 10:25 PM
E
apprentice
apprentice
E
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Ye, I agree, having Acid blocked by it is completely pointless. Just like Taunt - why is that still a thing?

Probably because otherwise it would be completly broken. It would basically be an unblockable aoe dominate. Dominate costs 3 AP to cast, so what should taunt be cost? 5 AP? So a normal character can't even cast it with a rounds worth of AP. You could make it single target, but that would still make it incredible, even with a bump to 3 AP like dominate is, and making dominate obsolete in the proces

At least now it feels like it's own thing that can be useful in niche situations, not just a superior dominate.

Elidan #634742 31/10/17 12:30 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Elidan
Originally Posted by Stabbey

Probably because otherwise it would be completly broken. It would basically be an unblockable aoe dominate. Dominate costs 3 AP to cast, so what should taunt be cost? 5 AP? So a normal character can't even cast it with a rounds worth of AP. You could make it single target, but that would still make it incredible, even with a bump to 3 AP like dominate is, and making dominate obsolete in the proces

At least now it feels like it's own thing that can be useful in niche situations, not just a superior dominate.

Unfortunately, that niche is also occupied by every other PA-blocked skill which includes a hard CC and Atrophy. Provoke is just plain bad.

It's definitely NOT the same thing as Dominate. Dominate converts an enemy to an ally, usually for more than one turn. Provoke works for a single turn and doesn't change the target's affiliation.

Sergey Butsenov #634752 31/10/17 02:28 AM
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
It's still pretty much hard CC and incredibly annoying when used by mobs since you lose control of your characters and they start doing dumb shit. Having it ignore armor would be really OP.

Sergey Butsenov #634783 31/10/17 09:46 AM
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Pretty sure that acid works regardless of physical armor or not, and that this is just a case of the weapon attribute (i.e 10% chance to set acid) simply failed due to statistics, not physical armor.

Any chance that I'm right?

MadDemiurg #634785 31/10/17 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by MadDemiurg
It's still pretty much hard CC and incredibly annoying when used by mobs since you lose control of your characters and they start doing dumb shit. Having it ignore armor would be really OP.

Just make the range smaller.

This is why percentage based resists are so good. I currently use a mod that gives you a chance to resist based off of your armour values. It's pretty great.

Sergey Butsenov #634809 31/10/17 11:30 AM
veteran
veteran
I see the points people are making about why simply having Taunt ignore Physical armor might cause other problems, and they are valid. Still, there has to be something which can be done to tweak Provoke/Taunt.

I am not a fan of armor-percentage-based status ailment resistances. But perhaps Taunt should have a 50% chance to land (armor doesn't matter), or a chance to land where higher STR increases the chances of Taunt landing?

Originally Posted by Kalrakh
If taunted you can only do basic attacks?

Sure, that could be a thing.

Last edited by Stabbey; 31/10/17 01:22 PM.
Sergey Butsenov #634813 31/10/17 11:33 AM
veteran
veteran
If taunted you can only do basic attacks?

Alexstrasza #634863 31/10/17 04:12 PM
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by Alexstrasza
Originally Posted by MadDemiurg

Just make the range smaller.

This is why percentage based resists are so good. I currently use a mod that gives you a chance to resist based off of your armour values. It's pretty great.

Got a link for that?

Cavemandiary #634954 01/11/17 02:49 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Cavemandiary
Pretty sure that acid works regardless of physical armor or not, and that this is just a case of the weapon attribute (i.e 10% chance to set acid) simply failed due to statistics, not physical armor.

Any chance that I'm right?

Yes. Looks like it is. I thought that when it's not a chance the thing like "error applying" shouldn't appear

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard