Page 1 of 2 1 2
#634753 31/10/17 02:34 AM
P
Peaches Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Battle Stomp is a strong, cheap AoE skill that applies the strongest CC in the game; knockdown. This is the status with the least immune enemies and also benefits from no prerequisite status (wet/chilled for frozen, etc).

Unlike Battering Ram, Battle Stomp has extreme ease of use, not requiring any tricky Line-of-sight or pathing to attack enemies. Stomp can even hit enemies on higher ground. Also unlike Battering Ram, Battle Stomp also deals good damage, the same as a standard melee strike, and is on a lowish 4-turn cooldown.

This is one of the starter Warfare skills, and can also be used effectively by Rogues. It is a strong, very efficient AoE knockdown skill that requires very little thought to use effectively.

It is, in short, overpowered.

Some easy fixes to this, I think, would be making Battle Stomp have friendly fire. This would force players to think a lot harder about positioning and when and when not to use this skill, with the potential risk of hard CC'ing one's allies.

W
apprentice
apprentice
W
I agree that it is a it strong but not OP.
One thing i can think of about this is that a target have to be weakened by some sort of aoe spell from warfare and then you an knock them down. Its like most spells need a pre require status in order to have a strong effect like stun.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I like it as the way it is. The game's already been way over-nerfed, so I'd really rather not see yet another ability compromised.

J'aime le fromage.
I think it's fine. I am also sure Knock Down is the most common CC immunity. I would rather Battering Ram be buffed.

Trap Strats: DOS1:EE? Cheese - DOS2? Mashed potatoes - Proper nutrition is key to dungeon delving.
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
it's not op at all it's just good

battering ram's tradeoff is that it does less damage but repositions you, so you can knock someone down and also be in melee range

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
It is OP compared to all non source elemental CCs who all need to combo with something else to actually CC, have friendly fire and usually less aoe or damage (they do have better range though).

Whether you think it's too strong or they are too weak is up to you.

Warriors also have limited utility and options in combat. Knock Down is the flavour choice they have, and them having a reliable way to cause it is fine by me. Other CC being nerfed is because a mage can toss two magic spells in one turn and do big damage on top of the guaranteed stun.
I think the argument really is that Battle Stomp is the one ability they have that is unique and works consistently. Taunt, provoke, deflect, etc all are very situational and unreliable.

Trap Strats: DOS1:EE? Cheese - DOS2? Mashed potatoes - Proper nutrition is key to dungeon delving.
P
stranger
stranger
P
I like how you can give it to a Rogue and it's better CC than any other Scoundrel skill.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by puff_ng
I like how you can give it to a Rogue and it's better CC than any other Scoundrel skill.

This argument either proves that Scoundrel skills suck or that Battle Stomp is just to strong, or even a bit of both.

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
I agree. It's a bit too strong imo.

journeyman
journeyman
Battle Stomp is by far the premier skill of the earlygame (when Magic doesn't have the damage or skill support for CC and other abilities aren't available yet), and maintains a usefulness throughout the entire game, this much is true, but overpowered it is not.

The issue here isn't Battle Stomp, it's the severe underdevelopment of abilities in D:OS2 as a whole; Battle Stomp is a well-balanced, critical early game, and foundational skill for Warfare that is further helped by ease of use (no-FF, no LoS dickery) along with early availability and a weapon-based damage scaling that allows it to be relevant as more than just CC spam later in the game. There's nothing 'wrong' with Battle Stomp, it's the epitome of what these core abilities should be: useful, easy to use, and appropriate at all points in the game.

More abilities need to be like Battle Stomp, it's the example to follow.

The Flaws of Divinity: Original Sin II: A list of observations of the game's shortcomings for the community.
Found HERE.
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
I don't think abilities need to be easy to use, there's no fun in that.

Also, battle stomp allows warriors to do more damage and CC in combat than most mages and warriors have plenty of utility. Mages do catch up later on, but earlygame it's more powerful than almost anything they can do.

Last edited by MadDemiurg; 31/10/17 01:05 PM.
H
stranger
stranger
H
It should do friendly fire to be honest. It would still be s-tier. It would still be a complete no brainer must have skill for every build that uses a melee weapon.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by vometia
I like it as the way it is. The game's already been way over-nerfed, so I'd really rather not see yet another ability compromised.

I agree. The game is balanced just fine. I'd rather see more dialogue added as I love that part.

"Keep distant, My own demons still haunt me too closely. I cannot also bear the burden of yours."
W
stranger
stranger
W
Originally Posted by GreatGuardsman
Battle Stomp is by far the premier skill of the earlygame (when Magic doesn't have the damage or skill support for CC and other abilities aren't available yet), and maintains a usefulness throughout the entire game, this much is true, but overpowered it is not.

The issue here isn't Battle Stomp, it's the severe underdevelopment of abilities in D:OS2 as a whole; Battle Stomp is a well-balanced, critical early game, and foundational skill for Warfare that is further helped by ease of use (no-FF, no LoS dickery) along with early availability and a weapon-based damage scaling that allows it to be relevant as more than just CC spam later in the game. There's nothing 'wrong' with Battle Stomp, it's the epitome of what these core abilities should be: useful, easy to use, and appropriate at all points in the game.

More abilities need to be like Battle Stomp, it's the example to follow.

Where's my upvote button mods??

What a deliciously crooked spine you have my dear, here's a shiv to help straighten it. Now isn't that better?
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
GG, GG. GG.

Y
Y
Battle Stomp and Shield Toss(or whatever the name is) is bread and butter. Every other Warfare skill is gradually more situational, but not useless, however. I remember that the second time the Doctor's demons came after me, my Incarnate's Taunt made them split in a very nice way, giving me a good win. That was probably the only time I used the skill in the whole game, lol!

L
stranger
stranger
L
So far I must say this skill is surprisingly useful. When I find myself in dire situation, stomp is usually way to go... when enemy armor is down. Since enemies have tons of it from midgame on, it's not that easy to use.

Friendly fire as way to balancing it doesn't seem that bad. Reminds me of some hardcore DnD rules for games, where all aoe skill also damaged your party. Though I must say, you already need to watch where to use that ability, so that it doesn't remove some surfaces you have placed in order to prevent enemies from getting to you etc.

Personaly I found totems, which are quite strong and can be cast every turn much more closer to something that could be called op, but I still would not want to nerf them, maybe rather fix AI pathfinding :P or buff few armors. + It's not like AI cant use those skills against you too and should, maybe even more.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Aerotheurge is the only skill discipline of which I know that has no 'entry level skills' (ones available at character creation) which I considered spiffy enough to seriously use throughout the full game. Electric Discharge is handy, but it requires a liquid surface in combination to work properly.

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
Originally Posted by Hayte
It should do friendly fire to be honest. It would still be s-tier. It would still be a complete no brainer must have skill for every build that uses a melee weapon.

This was probably play-tested and discarded. Singleplayer you can work around that, but think about multiplayer. People would constantly stay in each other ways, making the skill a no-go or even worse, player stun each other constantly (either because that is the best tactic or they don't care).
Magic spells have quite some friendly fire, but they are either single target or you can place them wherever you want.

So for short, I don't think any spell in the game is overpowered as of right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard