Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I say this in all seriousness. This was another "maybe" game that could be the spiritual successor to Neverwinter Nights.

Sword Coast Legends said it would be and it was terrible.

Does this GM client have "legs"? Will it last? I know when I last checked in there were some pretty big showstopper issues like a 4 player limit and the inability to add characters later, etc.

These are non-starters for a 'true' virtual tabletop type experience. Curious to here thoughts and know where we are 2 months out from anyone. I had high hopes for this one...

N
apprentice
apprentice
N
I think you are confused. This is an RPG game, with an amazing mode that no other video game has at this scale. It's not a tabletop game. I possibly don't like the same things you don't like, but that's not a reason to be disappointed, it's already more than I could ask of a video game.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Nedrapter
I think you are confused. This is an RPG game

The first line invalidates the second line. I wasn't looking for rabid fanboi responses. I wanted critically thinking people to actually look at how the GM client will be useful. It was billed as an 'RPG game' where you could use a fully realized GM client to act as a VTT type environment.

Like the dev team themselves have stated it would be They have even used the phrase VTT in some of the older interviews. Are you really going to claim to be an expert with no factual basis for your statement?

Oh and... "Registered: 10/17/17" look at my registration date. Now figure out who is confused.

Last edited by Darkwind; 31/10/17 07:01 PM.
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I think it's great, it's almost like putting together the best of both worlds (VTT and Video Game) but of course it has some limitations, some that I don't think will be solved but many more that could be implemented in a "simple" way and would make the platform perhaps better VTT available (for me Fantasy Grounds ATM).
I'm not going to go into the details but answering your question and having used it enough I can tell you that it has a lot to give and if the developers implement more things and the community continues to generate the excellent mods that are already doing I think it can become the best VTT in history without a doubt.
Obviously it will never be possible (or at least it will be very difficult) to overcome some limitations in relation to a VTT as well as a VTT will never be able to overcome some limitations in relation to a pen a paper but as it is brutal.
I imagine Larian and/or the community adding new monsters, history and playable campaigns in GM mode and it would be eternal.
I understand that Larian is working on new features for the GM mode. Between the lines I think I have understood that they are working on some aspects that are needed such as the limitation of 4 players, the fog of war among others and some "surprises" so I have very good expectations in the future.
Note, remember that one of the GM mode's main presentations was at the Wizards of The Coast offices with a WOTC adventure. I think that already says a lot about what to expect and the possibilities.
Imagine that Larian and WOTC agree to put d&d in Divinity engine....................... Wooooooowwww would be awesome I believe and I don't think it would be too far-fetched to think about it since in the video you see Sven putting figures on the blackboard in WOTC offices as if he had made some proposal beyond asking for "borrowing" the adventure ".
Greetings

Last edited by Salva; 31/10/17 08:01 PM.
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Rerolling and Player limit will have to be addressed and soon for it to be a huge success long term.

I fear the damage has already been done though and it will never get near the traction it should have.

N
apprentice
apprentice
N
I haven't played any other game of the franchise and I bought this, cause I heard of the GM mode. Not sure how you determined my "fanboi" status. If I was fanboi, wouldn't I be registered long time ago like you?
Yet, this is by far the best solution I have to give my D&D campaigns to the players in a visualized form.

enthusiast
enthusiast
This topic title shows a significant amount of bias.
NwN or SCL? NwN of course.
But you might want to bring this topic to their forums, not this one.

Originally Posted by Nedrapter

Yet, this is by far the best solution I have to give my D&D campaigns to the players in a visualized form.

I'd say RPG campaigns instead of D&D.
SCL lacked the content and a decent editor, NwN is cool if you want D&D or a mini MMO.
Looking for a VTT?
D: OS2 is your game of choice without a doubt.

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
N
apprentice
apprentice
N
We have made an relationship of the D&D stat/roll system with the D:OS2 stat system, and D&D goes very smoothly, within the engine's limitations.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Having used both NWN and Roll20 I can say I definitely prefer the GM mode for building levels and encounters. There are more free assets available, the game graphics are excellent, and the editor allows a huge amount of freedom for modding (assuming you're willing/able to put in the time).

You can play DnD 5e in Divnity right now. People want the actual game systems converted (which is understandable because that would be super neat) but its not necessary. You can roll the dice to cast a DnD 5e spell and have the GM apply dmg to your target (targets). You would still need to track spell uses and other factors on paper but that is what has to be done in apps like Roll20 anyways; so its not like Divinity is lacking in this area.

That said lots of things could be improved including fog of war, player limit, and a host of other minor quality of life changes. If Divinity 2 DLC/patches steadily improve on GM mode then I see no reason why it would not become the best VTT available.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Redunzgofasta
This topic title shows a significant amount of bias.
NwN or SCL? NwN of course.
But you might want to bring this topic to their forums, not this one.

I think you misunderstand what I was saying. I was speaking in euphemism. I.E. is the GM mode more NWN or SCL. I.E. a functional VTT / DM mode type simulation or a slapped together bunch of tools that really don't work very well at all.

I'm not interested in either of those platforms. NWN had its time and I used it to great effect. It is just painful that NOBODY has repeated that experiment in literally 15 years. It makes me sad because it seems like with the resurgence of interest in D&D since 5E arrived there is -a lot- of money to be made on this if you just want to look at bottom line reasons.

That is why I had (have?) high hopes for this aspect of DS2. Sounds like they still have some tricks up their sleeve so I'm cautiously optimistic. The game sold well but the main issue is as noted above you have a "window" that is critical to maintain interest and numbers. Once that window closes your are pretty much moving to SCL territory at that point and will end up another forgotten product.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Darkwind
I say this in all seriousness. This was another "maybe" game that could be the spiritual successor to Neverwinter Nights.

Sword Coast Legends said it would be and it was terrible.

Does this GM client have "legs"? Will it last? I know when I last checked in there were some pretty big showstopper issues like a 4 player limit and the inability to add characters later, etc.

These are non-starters for a 'true' virtual tabletop type experience. Curious to here thoughts and know where we are 2 months out from anyone. I had high hopes for this one...

I'm a believer that in this realm, a game has to be made specially for your needs, for it to have a chance to satisfy them. GM mode is a tack on module if they or anyone wants to admit it or not, a starting point. It is far from the main game and surely it will disappoint those that want to get real serious in this realm. The only thing those can hope for, that they have a solid chance to receive, is that every Larain game using this engine forward, will improve upon the last AND perhaps someday it will be enough to satisfy the GM/Tabletop type. Now is it satisfying some? Yes. The most discriminate, no. I could be wrong.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Its good but not great. It's missing a few key features and gm mods it to tied to the editor to be great. It very good just not great.

There is some hope since they added character reroll maybe they'll address the party size and other big points soon. That along with a little more power in the gm mode itself so you didnt have to use the editor for everything is what would make it go from good to great.

I do think we will see party size addressed but I think we will see simple editing features added to gm mode meaning you will still have to learn the editor for example to make a sword that does slashing and fire damage. That is the main hold back from taking it over the top i believe.

Many gms don't want to learn the editor we just want to add fire damage to a sword or tell an npc to walk back and forth from point a to point b.

Luckily there have been some great modders keeping it interesting.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard