Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Originally Posted by Eliof Astora
I really have no problems with the Doctor getting 2x stronger without snuffing out the candles. If that was so, everyone would refuse to do that. In exchange of not snuffing them out is taking Lhose's soul for good. I know it was possible to defeat him in his full power, it was difficult not because Adrahmahlikh was twice stronger... but you have limited time and you have to kill him before he takes Lhose. I'd use the Anathema on him the next time I see him in full power.

You can also use skills like clear minded and enrage I think to buy time.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Originally Posted by Zoranus
If you add redundant vendors, then there's no visible consequence.

i don't agree with this

the entire point of this side quest before the doctor fight is that in order to secure lohse not being possessed you had to snuff out tons and tons of lives

how is that not a consequence? just because it's a moral one and not a practical one doesn't mean it doesn't hold any water

i didn't miss out on any skillbooks when i did this with lohse in my party, but i still had to decide to compromise the souls of a lot of people (some of whom i actually did recognize by name) in order to do it, and i felt legitimately bad about it. wouldn't you? if the answer is no and moral decisions in games don't yield any consequences for you then that's fine, but from my understanding that was the caveat to saving lohse, and the tone of the quest certainly reflects this

It's a fair trade off for a very difficult fight where if you took the high ground and don't defeat the demon quickly enough, or protect her mind, you permanently lose Lohse.

fair enough, but you could potentially make this argument for any kind of content lockout as a consequence for this quest and it still wouldn't make said lockout any less unnecessary

Simple fix, move the vendor somewhere you're bound to see them before the boss fight. I think it was said the vendor also drops skill books (And you can make some out of scrolls you find as well). Or name the Vendor as one of the recognized people, pending you've spoken to him. Some people rushing through things might still miss it, but that's on them. A third fix is just to add a couple of skill books. To be honest, you're -really- not missing out on any skill books at this point you couldn't acquisition on the nameless isle from memory, or make on your own even.

this is all well and good for future reference, but for somebody who is playing this game for the first time and is thus not privy to this consequence, none of this is helpful, and it is perfectly understandable for somebody to be highly annoyed that they no longer have access to spells they wanted to use as some invisible consequence of a decision they've made that wasn't outlined at all

should this consequence be noted beforehand? perhaps not, since that would be immersion breaking, and this game is punishing by nature. but i think the idea that killing the only vendor that sells certain spells when tons of other people in the game at that point could have bitten the bullet is an unnecessary consequence is not an unfair point

Anyway, I highly disagree with your choice of diction later on in this post, and it's rather arrogant and poor mannered to call people idiots if they disagree with you. You can be critical, but you would find that you would be more successful and taken more receptively if you did not insult the makers, and more importantly, fellow forum members.

agreed, no need for mud slinging

Originally Posted by miaasma

agreed, no need for mud slinging

Justified.

But what do I know, I'm a savage myself. smile

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
As I said, I thought the ethical choice worked well even without the death of the merchant. My objection is the deletion of the sole merchant for half the skill schools.

If a visual consequence is important, here's an idea: There are fifteen Pilgrims at the entrance to the cathedral worshipping around the statue. If you snuff out the candles, the next time you pass through there - which you MUST do for the main quest, they're dead. ALL FIFTEEN OF THEM.

I know you might think that doesn't make sense, but it has to be all of them for the visual impact, and to make it clear what the cause was. Then have a conversation between party members:

[Non-Lhose Party Member]: What the? They're all dead... no signs of violence... it's just like they're puppets who had their strings cut.
Lhose: Is... is this because I snuffed out those candle? I... I did this?

That would be a powerful moment, and it's one the player would be almost guaranteed to see unless for some reason, they have a teleporter pyramid or Crypt waypoint and just zap right there, but that's unlikely.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I think that would work for me: I much prefer poignant moments like that (as much as they kinda pained me in Divinity 2) over punishing the player in some way, which if anything I think tends to undermine the effect of what I've inadvertently done. Even if I never use the skill merchant, I think the impact of seeing all those people suddenly dead would be much more powerful.

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
The writing in Divinity Original Sin 2 is absolutly fantastic,I have not played anything that well written in years.

Last edited by Hawke; 05/11/17 09:06 PM.
C
stranger
stranger
C
it's not much of a choice if there aren't any consequences. it would basically be larping, where all the choices don't matter and the consequences are imaginary.

also, this discussion is moot. the doctor is not that hard to kill if you had decided to snuff the candles and killed the vendor. the final boss is not that hard to kill, especially since all your source skills are free; in fact, i killed him in less than two rounds. i'm guessing not one single person failed to beat the game solely due to some crucial skill they needed from the dead vendor; this hypothetical newbie gamer just doesn't exist. if you made it through the arduous early fights in fort joy, then you can beat the game.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
So much depth about this doctor fellow..

So much buildup on how badass he is...

I just turned him into a chicken before he could transform and killed him in 1 turn.

"Was this adrama-whatever?" - Sebille

Fighting him after transforming is absurd though, lol. I also never got the candle snuffing option.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard