Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
stranger
stranger
E
Originally Posted by Aryah
What I've read on Divine Divinity implies that the leader of the Black Ring is in fact a demon? Did they just incorrectly think the God King is a demon? Are all demons actually eternals? Is the void simultaneously inhabited by demons and eternals? Are there different factions within the void..?

They actually explain this one. After Lucian bombed both the elves and the Black Ring with Deathfog they lost a lot of manpower and all of their leaders (it seems Lucian killled Damian, the Damned one and the avatar for Chaos Lord, the head of all demons). So when they were thinking what to do next, the God King proposed his Covenant to them. So Black Ring actually betrayed the demons in favor of the Void.

Everything else I agree with, there are major issues with the lore smile

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Where did they explain that, because from what I found they never really go into enough detail to explain why Lucian thought it would be a good idea to use chemical/magical weapons to commit genocide on the elves even if the Black Ring were there as well. (And why were the Black Ring in the middle of the Elf lands?)

I was wondering that myself, actually. How exactly were the elves ravaged by death fog? It looked like a naval battle in the paintings with Lucian fighting the Black Ring. How did the fog get from there to the Elven lands and do so much damage? Unless I'm getting confused with other events... Either way, it doesn't really make sense.

Even if you seal the veil at the end of the game, the Black Ring ARE STILL being evil. Somehow. It doesn't make sense. They disbanded after Lucian kicked their asses, but (basically) a literal god bailed them out. They kicked their asses kicked again, lose the God-King's patronage, and yet are still trying to be edgelords? Lol.

Also, if you seal the veil, can demons still be brats? Or are they gone? Is that explained?

Last edited by Alexstrasza; 06/11/17 11:40 PM.
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
In Divine Divinity, there were the Seven Good Gods, but there was an Eighth god, the Lord of Chaos. He created a race of sentient beings to be his slaves. Those beings were demons. That made the Good Gods unhappy and they tried to banish him. That didn't work so they created their own races to help battle the demons, and eventually they tried to banish the Lord of Chaos from reality to another plane. But he got stuck partway through there, and a place formed around him. That's what Hell is and that's where most of the demons got banished to.

That's how it was, at least.

But whoops this game completely retcons this by saying that before all that there were the Eternals, which something something something something - I didn't have Fane and I didn't even bother trying to understand any of that Eternals stuff. Apparently there were seven Lords of the Eternals (forgetting about the Eighth) who stole source to open a hole in the void and then they threw all the other eternals into that hole somehow?

I dunno, whatever...

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Where did they explain that, because from what I found they never really go into enough detail to explain why Lucian thought it would be a good idea to use chemical/magical weapons to commit genocide on the elves even if the Black Ring were there as well. (And why were the Black Ring in the middle of the Elf lands?)

The Shadow Prince explains this one on the Nameless Isle.

The elves actually had a plot using the mother tree and the memories of all their druids to spawn dryads which had all the memories of their race to take over the world. The lizards, back when they were dragons, opposed the elves for this very reason.

Some time ago, the Shadow Prince posed a conundrum to the Red Prince under the guise of curiosity and academia. The Red Prince thought it was just some lizard noble and wasn't aware of the true identity. The problem was how to deal with both the elf problem as well as the Black Ring problem. The Red Prince's reply was considered to be genius and the Shadow Prince conveyed the answer to Lucian who, aware of the problem with the elves as well, acted on the Red Prince's answer.

Last edited by Aryah; 07/11/17 06:57 AM.
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I talked to the Shadow Prince('s spirit), and heard something like that (not in that much detail), but Red Prince was only a party member, not my avatar, and Sebille killed the Shadow Prince before Red Prince could speak to him when alive. Plus this is a game FULL to the brim with one unreliable narrator after another, so it's really difficult to just take the word of someone who's been trying to kill you all game at face value. I kinda just dismissed what he said for that reason.

It's also another one of the game's issues where we're supposed to understand all the geopolitics of the world and understand which factions are powerful and which factions are weak and which factions want to kill the other factions (apparently all factions want to kill all other factions), but the game is so focused on things specific to the local region that it never makes the geopolitics clear enough for players to form an informed opinion.

But assuming that it's true... so now the elves, in addition to being completely different in addition to being completely different from any previous depiction, were also evil? And, apparently allies of the Black Ring because they just let the Black Ring forces gather in their forest?

Continuity is just a mess.

Last edited by Stabbey; 07/11/17 03:53 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard