Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
I have not seen any information on DOS 2 Macintosh release. I am contemplating trying it on with Windows 8 via Mactinstoh Parallel.
I have MacMini with a 2.6 GHZ Inter Core I5 with an Intel Iris 1536 MB GPU.
Does this have any chance of working (the GPU is not one of the recommended GPUs)?

PS: It would be nice if Larian would publish some information on estimated Macintosh release date. There are a couple of scam websites (such as usenet.nl) which claim to have a DOS 2Mac version. The indication they are scams is that the software is offered for free.e

Support
Support

Currently there have not been any announcements about other platforms.

Unfortunately, Parallels does not have hardware support for DiretcX 11, so you would need to use Bootcamp to run Windows to be able to play the game.
Integrated graphics are not officially supported, but Iris GPUs do have hardware support for DirectX 11. In terms of performance, the best Iris models slightly exceed the minimum requirement, and the lower end (included on the PassMark benchmark list) are half or a third (so might run with usable performance at a low resolution and graphics settings).

R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Thank You.

E
E
Try vmware.

Hear ye, hear ye! Bishop Alexander was slain by seagulls! Culprits still at large!
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Its unlikely that a mac port will be made. But I have heard of people successfully running the game in Wine and Wine is available for the Mac. DOS2 currently has a silver rating on winehq which means it basically runs fine except for a minor bugs.

I dont recommend playing games using vmware or virtualbox. It will likely be annoyingly slow.

Dual booting windows is definitely the best route if Wine doesnt work to your liking. But this requires a windows license.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Marc54
But this requires a windows license.

That's always the annoying bit.

I finally decided that using two PCs and a KVM switch is the most amenable approach: a low-power one to run my day-to-day Unix desktop stuff and a bigger uglier Windows-based PC for games. Of course the expected power savings never happened as the Windows PC stays on pretty much permanently as it's so slow to boot and login. As someone who's used virtual machines a lot in the past (starting with VM on an IBM mainframe) the purist in me objects, but it's easier this way, especially as I periodically have to reach for the reset button on the Windows box.

J'aime le fromage.
R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
I have been running WIndows on my MacMini with a 2.6 GHZ Inter Core I5. DOS 2 is a little sluggish in areas with severals NPCs visible. Combat is a bit slow as monster AI takes a long time to decide what to do in a turn. This was only intolerable in Voidling fight in Blackpit area of Act II.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Just bought DOS2 from the mack app store
even with gama sert to max and brightness and contrast arso max it is to dark to see anything
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac15,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB
System Version: macOS 10.15.7 (19H2)

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian