Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Oct 2017
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Joined: Oct 2017
Pretty disgusted with this writing and animal cruelty at times. I just had to leave an undead cat that was guarding her owner (which I teleported back to the ship). I can't even tell the cat where her owner has gone? I can't bring the cat with me? A few other things.
-Why can't we save source hound Emmie?
-What's the purpose of even putting that orphaned bear cub in the game?
-Why would a sadistic sociopath like Rhyker have pets? Which invariably you can't do a thing to help once you slay the man.

Why is this game like this? In every other regard I will give DOS2 a 9 or 10 out of 10. The first Divinity Original Sin wasn't like this. That game was incredibly charming. I never got the impression that there were glaring disconnects between story elements regarding animals or just quests in general. Sure it was really dark in areas, as this game is, which is necessary, which we love and respect you for. Please don't take this as objection to grimness in games. Thing is these story omissions and useless inclusions involving animals aren't grim, they are uncomfortable, juvenile and lazy. DOS2 for all of it's amazing writing, has a myriad of these glaring omissions. It doesn't feel good leaving an undead cat, which has been standing watch over it's owner for god knows how long, and when you rescue it's owner, you are WITHOUT the ability to EVEN inform the bloody thing as to what has occurred. Is this just negligence or is one of your writers some kind of deviant personality? Don't !@!# up Dos3 like this. I love you guys, I really do. I love this game. I want some of these story elements patched and I definitely don't want stuff like this in DOS 3.

Joined: Feb 2016
B
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
B
Joined: Feb 2016
People dies and gets tortured like there's no tomorrow in the game, but you're worried about undead cats.
Seems like cherrypicking to me.

Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
Duchess of Gorgombert
Offline
Duchess of Gorgombert
Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
A number of people have commented that there aren't too many happy endings for the animals. I did feel particularly sorry for the very loyal and long-dead cat, though I also felt sad for Buddy and Emmie. There were a few other examples, too. Although I understand that OS2 is a bit darker than previous Divinity games, I'd still like a few more happy endings.


J'aime le fromage.
Joined: Oct 2017
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Joined: Oct 2017
Seems to me you don't understand the fact animal suffering isn't conducive to enjoyment in video games. Fairly straight forward to most. You haven't picked up on the trend of resentment? Seems like a you issue "BowFunes".

Last edited by Cynical Liberal; 28/12/17 05:36 PM.
Joined: Oct 2017
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Joined: Oct 2017
I sincerely enjoy the darkness of this game. I understand it as you play this from the perspective of a Sourcerer as opposed to a Source Hunter. It's the quantity of "feel bad" story elements pet pal has to offer. The bear cub is pointless, there is absolutely no reason to take pet pal in Fort Joy, unless you want to feel like sh*t; well I guess you can save Birdie, but Emmie and Buddy, that just sucks. I can tell the bear cub was originally part of a larger quest that they just decided to scrap. But they decided to keep the cub orphan in because I dunno? Are they trying to be edgy? I cough up the undead cat and her owner as just lazy writing. The fact you can't bring the cat with you or even inform it as to what happened is foolish. I played DOS1 4 times and I enjoyed every second of it. If I give DOS2 another go, it will be without pet pal. I can get the same feeling pet pal has to offer from watching those animal charity videos. Thank you for your contribution to my thread Vometia.

Last edited by Cynical Liberal; 28/12/17 05:47 PM.
Joined: Feb 2016
B
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
B
Joined: Feb 2016
Originally Posted by Cynical Liberal
Seems to me you don't understand the fact animal suffering isn't conducive to enjoyment in video games. Fairly straight forward to most. You haven't picked up on the trend of resentment? Seems like a you issue "BowFunes".


But you see, you're just picking the parts convenient for your argument. What about the flaming pigs? Those can be saved from their torment, even when they're people transformed, the same with the cows in Driftwood, but you chose to ignore them. You can help the rat with the "truthful" curse and she's grateful for it. You can save Birdie from a terrible fate. You can save the chicken's egg...

I've encountered hundreds of dead bodies, most of them killed by voidwoken, but they don't seem to bother you (not even the Shriekers, which are basically infinite torture).
It's natural for an evil force of destruction to leave a wave of death behind it - in fact, the turtles in the beach actually tells you that they're being corrupted from the inside, just like many people out there. You just want to be offended by the logical outcome of it.

It's a darker game than before, even when the story is beyond stupid with the CHOSENONE!!! theme, and I like it.


Joined: Oct 2017
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Joined: Oct 2017
Originally Posted by BowieFunes
Originally Posted by Cynical Liberal
Seems to me you don't understand the fact animal suffering isn't conducive to enjoyment in video games. Fairly straight forward to most. You haven't picked up on the trend of resentment? Seems like a you issue "BowFunes".


But you see, you're just picking the parts convenient for your argument. What about the flaming pigs? Those can be saved from their torment, even when they're people transformed, the same with the cows in Driftwood, but you chose to ignore them. You can help the rat with the "truthful" curse and she's grateful for it. You can save Birdie from a terrible fate. You can save the chicken's egg...

I've encountered hundreds of dead bodies, most of them killed by voidwoken, but they don't seem to bother you (not even the Shriekers, which are basically infinite torture).
It's natural for an evil force of destruction to leave a wave of death behind it - in fact, the turtles in the beach actually tells you that they're being corrupted from the inside, just like many people out there. You just want to be offended by the logical outcome of it.

It's a darker game than before, even when the story is beyond stupid with the CHOSENONE!!! theme, and I like it.



Yes, and I can reciprocal your pointless post. You have cherry picked the small amount of times there can be a happy ending for helpless creatures. Not effectively either, as those flaming pigs and cows were polymorphed humans. The 3 or so incidences of favorable conclusions (for animals) due to pet pal, are vastly overshadowed. I also presented the concern that this is due to dysfunctional story elements. Do you think it's practical or realistic for some weird stray cat to attach itself to your toon at the beginning of the game? And of course these professional soldiers will kill it on site for...reasons? If you can have this weird cat as a pet, what's the logical barrier to having a bear cub as one? Are you justifying the inability to INFORM a cursed cat that her owner she has been guarding over, has been saved? What's the purpose of that unreasonably high attribute check for this dead cat anyway? Thx to Larian writers all you can do is leave the thing wondering and crying in the dark even after successful completion of the attribute check; and don't bother saying for the privilege of speaking to the bound girl, my ranger can 1 shot this poor thing for that privilege (might as well!). Are you justifying the fact Emmie's quest can be bugged if you kill that Kniles guy first, meaning the fact you do have that red ball gets glitched, you will have to just kill her anyway? Do you think giving some Source Hounds a red ball to play with is a satisfying conclusion (when it doesn't bug)? Do you think it's reasonable a dog who has been companions with Buddy for years, gets so utterly brainwashed within the span of a few days or weeks? What's the point of introducing the orphaned bear cub if you can only say "screw you bear, just go eat berries". Is that satisfying to you? This is a game right, do you get enjoyment from that? What's the actual concern over what I'm saying Bowfunes? I reiterate, your "cherry picking" assertion is weak. And don't get me started on your dead bodies statement. Why would I or anybody else have an issue with dead bodies in a video game predicated on war and dark magic? Why did you bring up shriekers? I kill the shriekers, it's a story element with a logical basis that can be concluded in an appropriate manner. I free them from their torment, I kill them because they try to kill me, and I kill the magisters responsible for commissioning such a disgusting piece of ordinance. The shrieker story element is functional and satisfying, I enjoy it immensely.

"It's natural for an evil force of destruction to leave a wave of death behind it - in fact, the turtles in the beach actually tells you that they're being corrupted from the inside, just like many people out there. You just want to be offended by the logical outcome of it." I don't care if you're fine with it, I don't like it and pet pal is in no way shape or form as satisfying as it's first iteration in the previous game. This is my opinion and I've seen it echoed A LOT in forums. The story elements surrounding pet pal are depressing, dysfunctional and regularly pointless. That is the problem I'm illustrating Bowfunes; stop trying to conflate my position with a sensitivity to grimness or dark story elements. The "CHOOSE NO ONE" (<----corrected), story arch that you characterize as stupid, I find great. This is a dark game and you are meant to make tough choices, I think the fact ur god latches on to you and acts petty in many ways, and can be defied by you, is extremely interesting. How is that stupid? This game does so much right, it makes the story elements and dysfunction surrounding Pet Pal a real shame.

Last edited by Cynical Liberal; 28/12/17 07:18 PM.
Joined: Oct 2017
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2017
This needs to become sticky


"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
Joined: Oct 2017
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Joined: Oct 2017
Thank you Try2Harding. I love Larian and DOS. I want to see small change for DOS2 and I don't want anything to get in the way of our enjoyment of DOS 3 in the future.

Joined: Feb 2016
B
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
B
Joined: Feb 2016
Originally Posted by Cynical Liberal
Originally Posted by BowieFunes
Originally Posted by Cynical Liberal
Seems to me you don't understand the fact animal suffering isn't conducive to enjoyment in video games. Fairly straight forward to most. You haven't picked up on the trend of resentment? Seems like a you issue "BowFunes".


But you see, you're just picking the parts convenient for your argument. What about the flaming pigs? Those can be saved from their torment, even when they're people transformed, the same with the cows in Driftwood, but you chose to ignore them. You can help the rat with the "truthful" curse and she's grateful for it. You can save Birdie from a terrible fate. You can save the chicken's egg...

I've encountered hundreds of dead bodies, most of them killed by voidwoken, but they don't seem to bother you (not even the Shriekers, which are basically infinite torture).
It's natural for an evil force of destruction to leave a wave of death behind it - in fact, the turtles in the beach actually tells you that they're being corrupted from the inside, just like many people out there. You just want to be offended by the logical outcome of it.

It's a darker game than before, even when the story is beyond stupid with the CHOSENONE!!! theme, and I like it.



Yes, and I can reciprocal your pointless post. You have cherry picked the small amount of times there can be a happy ending for helpless creatures. Not effectively either, as those flaming pigs and cows were polymorphed humans. The 3 or so incidences of favorable conclusions (for animals) due to pet pal, are vastly overshadowed. I also presented the concern that this is due to dysfunctional story elements. Do you think it's practical or realistic for some weird stray cat to attach itself to your toon at the beginning of the game? And of course these professional soldiers will kill it on site for...reasons? If you can have this weird cat as a pet, what's the logical barrier to having a bear cub as one? Are you justifying the inability to INFORM a cursed cat that her owner she has been guarding over, has been saved? What's the purpose of that unreasonably high attribute check for this dead cat anyway? Thx to Larian writers all you can do is leave the thing wondering and crying in the dark even after successful completion of the attribute check; and don't bother saying for the privilege of speaking to the bound girl, my ranger can 1 shot this poor thing for that privilege (might as well!). Are you justifying the fact Emmie's quest can be bugged if you kill that Kniles guy first, meaning the fact you do have that red ball gets glitched, you will have to just kill her anyway? Do you think giving some Source Hounds a red ball to play with is a satisfying conclusion (when it doesn't bug)? Do you think it's reasonable a dog who has been companions with Buddy for years, gets so utterly brainwashed within the span of a few days or weeks? What's the point of introducing the orphaned bear cub if you can only say "screw you bear, just go eat berries". Is that satisfying to you? This is a game right, do you get enjoyment from that? What's the actual concern over what I'm saying Bowfunes? I reiterate, your "cherry picking" assertion is weak. And don't get me started on your dead bodies statement. Why would I or anybody else have an issue with dead bodies in a video game predicated on war and dark magic? Why did you bring up shriekers? I kill the shriekers, it's a story element with a logical basis that can be concluded in an appropriate manner. I free them from their torment, I kill them because they try to kill me, and I kill the magisters responsible for commissioning such a disgusting piece of ordinance. The shrieker story element is functional and satisfying, I enjoy it immensely.

"It's natural for an evil force of destruction to leave a wave of death behind it - in fact, the turtles in the beach actually tells you that they're being corrupted from the inside, just like many people out there. You just want to be offended by the logical outcome of it." I don't care if you're fine with it, I don't like it and pet pal is in no way shape or form as satisfying as it's first iteration in the previous game. This is my opinion and I've seen it echoed A LOT in forums. The story elements surrounding pet pal are depressing, dysfunctional and regularly pointless. That is the problem I'm illustrating Bowfunes; stop trying to conflate my position with a sensitivity to grimness or dark story elements. The "CHOOSE NO ONE" (<----corrected), story arch that you characterize as stupid, I find great. This is a dark game and you are meant to make tough choices, I think the fact ur god latches on to you and acts petty in many ways, and can be defied by you, is extremely interesting. How is that stupid? This game does so much right, it makes the story elements and dysfunction surrounding Pet Pal a real shame.


First of all, please try to separate that wall of text becase it's imposible to read.

Now, on to the subject: you say my cherry picking assertion is weak, yet I came up with more examples of happy endings than you of gruesome ones. Not to mention, you conveniently ignored the fact that the cruelty against people is everywhere yet it doesn't seem to bother you, justifying it with "it's part of the storyline". Well, the deaths of animals is too, why is that wrong and the other not? I found tons of examples of people who I had no choice but to put them out of their misery, either because they were near death, or they were cursed somehow. Hey, but they're not animals so it's ok, right?
Does this means I'm ok with animal cruelty? Of course not. What I'm saying is that the tone of game is grim, in every ocassion, and it wouldn't be consistent if everyone's dying but the animals. Even the kids are dying, sometimes in horrible ways - but that doesn't bother you either.

And yes, at times some quests seem to be unfinished, but again, it happens with many different situations. You, of course, only complained about the ones involving animals. Not a single word of doubt about the fate of Migo or what happened with Mona, to give some quick examples.

And I did meant "CHOSEN ONE", I put it all together because I heard it so many times in fiction by now that it's just ridiculous. It's so vastly present in every game nowadays, and it's obviously catering to the modern playerbase that needs to feel special. World of Warcraft is the classic example of this, and I wouldn't be surprised if Larian actually took that model to compete in the market.
Funny enough, DOS1 had a similar story, but at least your characters could react in non cooperative ways about it, instead of the nose dragging that is DOS2. It seems that, regardless of what I do, I always end up right n the main NPC doorsteps and have no other choice but to obey them.

I like the game, even when I consider it a huge stepback from the first Original Sin. I pointed many flawys in a thread of my own, but this one is just the typical crying for attention from "sensible" people. And I put that on quotes because that sensibility seems to be reserved for specific living beings. In fact, the darker tone of the game is one of the strong points, and removing it will make a half finished game even more crappy.

Have a nice day.

Joined: Oct 2016
Location: Germany
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Oct 2016
Location: Germany
This concept of the chosen one kind of kills what probably most hoped about this game: playing with friends to achieve the same goal. In the first game both were chosen, now only one?

Also in the first game you could revisit old places, now every act makes a huge cut, wich also kind inforces the need to cut ropes from old quests.

Joined: Oct 2017
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Joined: Oct 2017
"First of all, please try to separate that wall of text becase it's imposible to read."
-Lol. Others seem to be just fine reading what I wrote. What are you complaining about? The fact I elected not to use paragraph/essay format for a post on a game forum? What's more concerning is your grammar, spelling and sentence structure. Just look at the very first sentence of your response. Try high school again.

"Now, on to the subject: you say my cherry picking assertion is weak, yet I came up with more examples of happy endings than you of gruesome ones. "
-No you didn't you mentioned chicken eggs and a rat that had a truth telling problem. You are absurd. Every few quests there is a new incidence of animal suffering. Which is fine. If you care to notice I am not complaining about the option to sacrifice all the animals of the forest for 1 source point from Hannag. It makes sense, it's a functional story element, you can even elect not to. The stray cat, the undead cats, the bear cub, Buddy and Emmie; it's a common theme many have picked up on. These are glitched, unfinished, unsatisfying & nonsensical. That is the issue. I hope you finally understand.

"Not to mention, you conveniently ignored the fact that the cruelty against people is everywhere yet it doesn't seem to bother you, justifying it with "it's part of the storyline". Well, the deaths of animals is too, why is that wrong and the other not."
-Are you serious? You're doing this thing again?
-I'm talking about a trend of uncomfortable animal suffering surrounded by dysfunctional story elements and game bugs.
-I'm not talking about human suffering, again, stop conflating my point with an aversion to violence and grim story telling. Why would I or anyone else show concern at incidences of sacrifice or death in a game predicated on war and dark magic. On the other hand, what is the point of a professional soldier targeting and killing a stray cat that's following you? Which of course you can't even address in a conversation after the fact. Why are you imposing your lack of comprehension and overt pointlessness on my simple position?

"Does this means I'm ok with animal cruelty? Of course not. What I'm saying is that the tone of game is grim, in every ocassion, and it wouldn't be consistent if everyone's dying but the animals"
-I don't have to address this again, just wanted to correct you. It's "Occasion". Oh, and I guess you are also opposed to a rework of the bear cub interaction, so clearly you got some satisfaction from that useless conversation and attribute check (there was an attribute check right? I believe there was.).

"And yes, at times some quests seem to be unfinished, but again, it happens with many different situations. You, of course, only complained about the ones involving animals. Not a single word of doubt about the fate of Migo or what happened with Mona, to give some quick examples."
-This was a short quest with completely functional story elements. I killed Migo with a smile on my face, you found out that magister woman was Migo's daughter. And I'm sure if I passed the attribute check and was so inclined, I could have taken an alternate route to killing the guy. The magisters turned him into a ghoul if I remember correctly. I killed the magister daughter too for giggles. They are a corrupt military force. Again, no one in their right mind would complain about death in a game. I haven't seen one complaint about an "unfinished Migo" quest on forums...keep reaching. Isn't Mona that diseased necro vendor in Fort Joy? Why would I care about that? She's a diseased necromancer. Sure a little backstory would be fine, but all she is is a vendor. Mona has no attribute check or significant dialogue. I'm not randomly teleporting Mona's daughter away with no dialogue progression after the fact. How is that comparable to the conversation with the undead cat in Blood Island?

"And I did meant "CHOSEN ONE", I put it all together because I heard it so many times in fiction by now that it's just ridiculous. It's so vastly present in every game nowadays, and it's obviously catering to the modern playerbase that needs to feel special. World of Warcraft is the classic example of this, and I wouldn't be surprised if Larian actually took that model to compete in the market.
Funny enough, DOS1 had a similar story, but at least your characters could react in non cooperative ways about it, instead of the nose dragging that is DOS2. It seems that, regardless of what I do, I always end up right n the main NPC doorsteps and have no other choice but to obey them."
-You wrote one long misspelled word, it's not incumbent on me to decipher "Chosen one" from what you wrote.

"I like the game, even when I consider it a huge stepback from the first Original Sin. I pointed many flawys in a thread of my own, but this one is just the typical crying for attention from "sensible" people. And I put that on quotes because that sensibility seems to be reserved for specific living beings. In fact, the darker tone of the game is one of the strong points, and removing it will make a half finished game even more crappy."
-You have the nerve to call myself and all the others who have complained about the pet pal experience in this game, as wanting to remove the darkness from it? You are the one calling DOS2 a big step back from DOS1, a half finished and crappy game...and I'm the one crying for attention from "sensible" people? So is that your game? You just think DOS2 is half finished and that's that? So hopeful fans like myself who have feedback & criticism should just shut up. Because you think these half finished and weird interactions with unfortunate animals are what gives DOS a "darker tone". And this darker tone is DOS2's only strong point. Bravo dude. My girlfriend (big Final Fantasy fan) and I played DOS1 together and we had a blast. She started watching me play this, decided to stop watching; as a matter of fact she thinks I'm weird for continuing to play it. There IS a problem.

Last edited by Cynical Liberal; 29/12/17 05:32 PM.
Joined: Oct 2017
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Joined: Oct 2017
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
This concept of the chosen one kind of kills what probably most hoped about this game: playing with friends to achieve the same goal. In the first game both were chosen, now only one?

Also in the first game you could revisit old places, now every act makes a huge cut, wich also kind inforces the need to cut ropes from old quests.


I can kind of understand why they went down this route though eh? Ummm. I saw an interview one of the devs did with Angry Joe. Seemed like they wanted to create incentive for people playing co-op to troll each other and compete. I can kind of also understand it from the perspective that you can elect to play as a power hungry sourcerer, as opposed to a stalwart team player. Here is the link if u'r interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63-ws3_jhx0

As for your concern about them partitioning the land between the different acts. I totally share it dude, I really dislike the fact you can't visit old areas. It makes the game world feel less alive and more gimmicky. I could understand why you couldn't revisit Fort Joy, but I was disappointed to see the trend continue. Now that you mention it that's probably my other major concern; after of course the half-baked and uncomfortable pet pal experience. That being said this game does a lot right doesn't it? I think the spells are a lot better. The rework to summoning in relation to DOS 1 was definitely needed. I love picking new races. I think the armour system is interesting. I'm having trouble making crazy weird builds like I did the first game (I played some robe wearing Fire Knight), but so far the Death Knight I looked up is pretty fun.

Last edited by Cynical Liberal; 29/12/17 04:51 PM.
Joined: Nov 2017
1
member
Offline
member
1
Joined: Nov 2017
Originally Posted by Cynical Liberal
... It doesn't feel good leaving an undead cat, which has been standing watch over it's owner for god knows how long ... Is this just negligence or is one of your writers some kind of deviant personality? .. I definitely don't want stuff like this in DOS 3.


"Doesn't feel good" is exactly the point of a tragic story. It's supposed to make you feel sad. I don't think every storyline should have many outcomes because that takes away from the tragic nature of it. Too much choice can water down the story. I agree that there are situations where obvious dialog choices are missing. The writers should try to get to the desired outcome without omitting certain obvious things, but by other plot tools.

There is cruelty against all species in this game, not just animals btw.

Joined: Oct 2017
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Joined: Oct 2017
Originally Posted by 123xzcs
Originally Posted by Cynical Liberal
... It doesn't feel good leaving an undead cat, which has been standing watch over it's owner for god knows how long ... Is this just negligence or is one of your writers some kind of deviant personality? .. I definitely don't want stuff like this in DOS 3.


"Doesn't feel good" is exactly the point of a tragic story. It's supposed to make you feel sad. I don't think every storyline should have many outcomes because that takes away from the tragic nature of it. Too much choice can water down the story. I agree that there are situations where obvious dialog choices are missing. The writers should try to get to the desired outcome without omitting certain obvious things, but by other plot tools.

There is cruelty against all species in this game, not just animals btw.


Another "not just" argument? I'm well aware and never eluded otherwise. The issue is the missing story elements, bugs, and serial lack of favorable outcomes for animals. As you said "obvious dialog choices are missing" and it gets annoying being confronted by it every hour or two down the narrative. Are you justifying the lack of dialogue progression with the undead cat guardian after saving the girl? Are you justifying the KOS for the stray cat first thing in the game? Does that make sense to you? How about that necromancer dog (that wants to take over the world?) that you have to kill. Is all this necessary for a tragic story line? Hint: It's not. I can honestly say this is the first time in a game I had to slay an evil wizard dog, I thought it was silly and just part of a larger trend. Like I said earlier, that part with Hannag where you can sacrifice all the animals in the forest made sense, I wouldn't go down that route but I don't have an issue with it. That part of the plot didn't feel half baked, didn't feel like it had missing dialogue choices or other plot device options. The bear cub on the other hand, I can tell that was part of a larger quest they just decided to keep in there; just a real buzz kill.

Last edited by Cynical Liberal; 29/12/17 08:10 PM.
Joined: Sep 2016
L
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
L
Joined: Sep 2016
Originally Posted by Cynical Liberal
"First of all, please try to separate that wall of text becase it's imposible to read."
-Lol. Others seem to be just fine reading what I wrote. What are you complaining about?
I find your blocks of text hard to read too. Try to break your paragraphs out a bit or people will just give up.

Anyway I sort of agree - it is a shame you can do nothing with the cat. You can't do anything with the girl either though which is also a shame.

So is your point animals should be treated better than people (lets assume Humans, Elves etc are all people) or the same? If you think animals are treated worse then I disagree. They aren't.

The only difference is children being immortal because of odd legal issues about killing children in video games in some countries (apparently). Otherwise both animals and people have bad outcomes sometimes.

If you think all animals should live happily ever after then wait for the last forest tiger. That will definitely annoy you.

Joined: Oct 2017
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Joined: Oct 2017
Then you should get your eyes checked, I don't do essay format in game forums. First of all no, the story elements surrounding all human based quests are fleshed out. U randomly developed the ability to teleport ppl to ur boat for her, she's safe, the cat on the other hand u can't even inform as to what happened. I never once got the impression that they just gave up on a quest arc half way through with helpless ppl u encounter in DOS, there's an appropriate amount of choice for normative story quests I find. And just in general, my gf and I preferred killing orcs in DOS1 to dogs in DOS2...weird right? She calls this game the "prepubescent serial killer simulator". Give me an event in game that's as frustrating as the missing dialogue for the undead cat or the bear cub orphan with human based quests. Or as weird as the KOS for the stray cat. Everything to do with pet pal in this game is half baked and unsatisfying, few exceptions of course, but that's the trend.
DOS1 content surrounding pet pal was much more satisfying. Also, while u are it, give me a quote of mine that would support ur assertion I only want happy endings for animals. I'll wait.

Last edited by Cynical Liberal; 29/12/17 10:56 PM.
Joined: Sep 2017
Location: united states
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Sep 2017
Location: united states
Originally Posted by 123xzcs
"Doesn't feel good" is exactly the point of a tragic story. It's supposed to make you feel sad. I don't think every storyline should have many outcomes because that takes away from the tragic nature of it. Too much choice can water down the story. I agree that there are situations where obvious dialog choices are missing. The writers should try to get to the desired outcome without omitting certain obvious things, but by other plot tools.
There is cruelty against all species in this game, not just animals btw.


There can never be too many choices in a video game.

And really, writing is like art. Just have to respect the writers artistic vision.

I did really want to save the cat though.. I put it out of it's misery because I didn't want it to suffer in a hole alone. Am I a bad person? I feel guilty.


"Keep distant, My own demons still haunt me too closely. I cannot also bear the burden of yours."
Joined: Oct 2017
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Joined: Oct 2017
I ended up doing the same thing. And u are not alone in ur sentiment. The contrarian neck beards are coming out for me but if you google it, forums will pop up complaining about it.

Joined: Nov 2017
1
member
Offline
member
1
Joined: Nov 2017
Originally Posted by Cynical Liberal

The issue is the missing story elements, bugs, and serial lack of favorable outcomes for animals. As you said "obvious dialog choices are missing" and it gets annoying being confronted by it every hour or two down the narrative.

I agree about some missing dialog. That's a different issue from missing "favorable outcomes", which is a matter of taste. Game writers have to strike a balance between giving choices of outcomes and preserving the tone of the story line. If you always had choice for all possible outcomes for every mini story, that would dilute the dark feel of the game, which is intentional. You're probably right that it's much different from DOS1, and DOS2 may not be right for you.

Originally Posted by Cynical Liberal

Are you justifying the lack of dialogue progression with the undead cat guardian after saving the girl?

The lack of additional dialog, sure I'll give you that. But you also said you wish you could take the cute undead cat back to the ship, and cuddle it and give it all your love, etc etc. Setting aside the logistics of what you want, if we take that to an extreme, maybe we should take all undead or otherwise suffering creatures, of ANY species, from all side quests, back to the ship and take care of them. I met a group of talking fire slugs in a cave that were cursed by some bad guy and got brainwashed. Should we take them with us?

Originally Posted by Cynical Liberal

Are you justifying the KOS for the stray cat first thing in the game? Does that make sense to you?

This one is easy. Yes! Absolutely. It's justified as being part of the story. The killing of that cat by the magisters serves to show their vile nature, and it also shows that not everything is under your control. For me that was an eye-opening moment which started to set the mood and tone for the rest of the game for me. That instance served its purpose well, as a plot tool.

Now, if you're asking whether killing a cat on sight is morally justified, in a general sense, the answer is obviously not, but I don't think that's what you were asking here. You just seem to hate the fact that it's in the game, and how it made you feel, which is the whole point of having that scene in the game. The writers rely on the fact that most players are decent kitty-loving people who will feel sad when they see that. To a large extent this game is about wrongdoing, evil, feeling helpless, and that bad things happen, etc. If you can't handle these things, again, this game is clearly not for you.
Originally Posted by Cynical Liberal

How about that necromancer dog (that wants to take over the world?) that you have to kill. Is all this necessary for a tragic story line? Hint: It's not. I can honestly say this is the first time in a game I had to slay an evil wizard dog, I thought it was silly and just part of a larger trend.

And when I first watched the movie Cujo, I can honestly say that was the first time in a movie I saw a rabid dog go on a killing frenzy. Was it necessary to make a horror movie about a frenzied dog viciously killing people? I'll let you answer that yourself, but obviously that's not a movie for everyone.

Overall, I haven't really seen more violence or cruelty perpetrated on animals compared to people in the game, so I wouldn't say the game goes out of its way to make animals suffer, exclusively. It doesn't discriminate much. This is coming from someone who loves animals and who's had cats most of my life. I felt sad to see the black cat get killed, and that was the point.

Good discussion!

Last edited by 123xzcs; 29/12/17 11:05 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5