Larian, in the years of lootbox drama you managed to pull a smart and soulful game. I can only admire how much attention have you been paying to your little gem of a game since the release, stitching bugs and rebalancing mechanichs. I want to offer you a small idea of improving your cool game even more, because the devil is indeed in the details.
I want to talk mainly about attributes and their equality. It seems to me that an rpg is that kind of a game that rewards you for choosing your own path, your own way to play. And as I can understand as devs you care the most about rewarding players for their choices in [b][u]EQUAL[/u][/b] measures.
Lets say that I choose to play my elegant elfish girl as a fierce two-handed warrior (sounds like a terrible mix, I know). So I look into the game mechanichs and realise that I'd better be putting some attribute points into strength, because:
1. I will be able to carry a lot of weight.
2. I will be able to move heavier objects further.
3. I will gain a moderate damage boost for my weapon attacks and warfare skills with each point spent.
I mean, I am sold!
And what do I get if I want to play my little funny dwarf, lets say, as a deadly crossbowman. For 1 point in finesse I get:
1. A moderate damage boost for my bow/crossbow attacks and skills [b][color:#FF0000]and nothing else.[/color][/b]
I mean, I am not sold at all and I don't want to feel that one choice of the same measure offers me more benefits then another choice.
Same with Int and Con (even though Con is a bit different).
There are two things that could make players feel same about making those choices:
[b]Thing A[/b] means you are not adding any extra values to the existing attributes (like extra carrying capacity for Str).
If that is the case then you can review the percentagies. Fin and Int can give better damage per point spent. Due to the fact that Int attacks do not crit without a special talent the damage can be redistributed like this:
- [color:#FF0000]Str[/color] +5% dmg per point
- [color:#33CC00]Fin[/color] +6% dmg per point
- [color:#3366FF]Int[/color] +7% dmg per point
[b]Thing B[/b] is about adding some extra values to Fin and Int.
There you can be much more creative and I will only leave a single suggestion I find the most interesting
- Fin could as well raise your crit multiplier by 1-2% per point spent. That fits the theme of precise shots with sharp weapons (daggers, arrows, spears). It would indeed make a spearman a better consideration.
- Int could as well raise all your elemental resistances by 1% per point spent. That may seem way too strong but in fact in lategame with high int you have a lot of magic armor already and main threat for you are phys damagers and in early to mid game it will make you slightly tankier in magical duels.
Speaking of a pretty underwhelming constitution..
I dont have a solution in mind for this one yet. May be you can merge two pretty useless (for now) mechanichs by deleting retribution ability and adding its values to Constitiution. For ex 1 Con would give you 7% health AND 1% of retribution mechanich.
Feel free to suggest your ways of solving this issue if you agree. Feel free to disagree as well! :opa:
P.S. Sry for my english, it is not my native, but I tried my best. :hahaha: