Print Thread
#644992 13/04/18 12:52 AM
A
Azyle Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
I want to like this game. I like everything about it from how unique it is, to all the detail and just overall package.

But I get frustrated with these games.. because of 2 reasons:

1 - Conveyance. I never know what to do. Yes, games like Skyrim essentially ruin this by showing you EVERYTHING, but when I played this before.. I had no idea what the hell was going on.

2 - Choices. I feel overwhelmed. There are so many mechanics, choices, party comps, skills, stats, way to do things, etc, that I feel I'll ruin something or not get to complete something if I do something terribly, terribly wrong.

veteran
veteran
There are less choices, then it might look.

One of the few real choices might be, which origins to pick. There you should decide on who you like the most after you talked to them. And you probably should decide, it you want a physical focused team setup or a magic one, though physical is more likely to be the better choice. Stats? There are no real choices (initiative gets screwed by round robin system) and skill trees? Surely less than it might look like.

One thing for sure: You should have a mystic scholar in team. And probably don't kill every NPC on sight. wink

After Act 1 you can respec at any time anyway, so missskilling is less of an issue anyway.

A
Azyle Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
So maybe make "My guy" an assassin type character? Then get a Warrior (Tank -ish) character and a mystic ( I assume this heals?) and then another physical person?

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
"mystic" is a tag you can put on a character

if you want to focus on physical damage, which is perfectly doable, then 3 physical damage dealers + a healing/armor restoration support works fine

the game can definitely seem overwhelming but just take your time with it and don't worry about getting some things wrong. i tried doing my first run on classic and got slaughtered very early on, so i had to go down to explorer. you actually learn things pretty quickly, so don't hesitate to scale down the difficulty if it's too much at first

Last edited by miaasma; 13/04/18 05:45 AM.
veteran
veteran
Yeah, my bad. The tags "mystic" and "scholar" are not combat classes, they only affect what options your characters will have while talking with NPCs. Origins have them already fixed for them, for self created characters you can chose them for yourself.

If you go full physical it is probably best to have Ifan in your team.

Healing and restoration get mainly effected by level, so you could/should pretty much teach everyone something of that stuff. There are a lot of different healing spells available, though restoration skills like Fortify are in general more important.

Most importang skills will be displacement skills like: teleport, Battle ram, Phoenix Dive, Tactical retreat etc.

A
Azyle Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
Ok, good stuff.

So will any class work out OK? I was gonna be (Pardon my not remembering the race) but a lizard person rogue/assassin/trickster or whatever.

Basically, 2 daggers and stuff.

veteran
veteran
Depends on the difficulty you are playing at. Rogue are pretty though early in the game, there is not much invisibility to protect them in this game, so get easily beaten up.

Early on you better stay with ranged, and change later to rogue with daggers, after you found a decent pair.

journeyman
journeyman
My multiplayer party got pretty frustrated in Act 2. It seemed like there were too many options on where to go, but in fact we were getting our butts seriously kicked.

What fixed it for us was to get a level map. It doesn't spoil very much in the game, it just shows you what levels are associated with each general area. Now we have a rough idea of where to go, and we're enjoying the game a lot more.

Oh, and we ran into a major roadblock by not having anyone with the Scholar tag. We had to modify the binary save file to fix that one! But it works now.

A
Azyle Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
I have played about 6 - 8 hours I think.

I really am enjoying the game a lot more than I previously did.

I just killed that one lady that made the Voidwoken attack the ship. And I BELIEVE I am going towards the marsh ( I stopped after I killed her and got Fane's mask(s) )

A few things:

-I probably didn't do/finish every quest possible. That an issue?
-I only found one person to barter with ( the Blacksmith lady that took off my collar ). Because of this... I don't have many new skills for my characters. Will the next "town" have this?
-Crafting..... should I be using this? I have a ton of stuff, but... I'm not sure what I should be crafting and trying to craft.

My party is as follows -

Me - Undead Rogue (assassin?)
Red Prince - Knight
Thane - Necro (I thought this was the "physical" magic)
Ifan - Wayfarer

veteran
veteran
- As long you don't leave the act you can still finish the remaining quest. In general the mainly give experience, other rewards are often underwhelming.
- There are half a dozen or more traders in Fort Joy, selling you skill books or equipment or both.
- Crafting is sadly pretty underwhelming, except for nails and boots which provides you with slip immunity.

A
Azyle Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
- As long you don't leave the act you can still finish the remaining quest. In general the mainly give experience, other rewards are often underwhelming.
- There are half a dozen or more traders in Fort Joy, selling you skill books or equipment or both.
- Crafting is sadly pretty underwhelming, except for nails and boots which provides you with slip immunity.

The traders do not have a symbol, then do they?

Huh... I guess I will go back. I hope they weren't magisters cause.... those guys are more or less all dead.

Can you think of any of their names?

Edit: Nevermind, see their names on the wiki.

Last edited by Azyle; 16/04/18 07:24 PM.
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
idk about ft joy, but later in the game traders are usually labeled as such

once you escape the fort itself there will be another group of traders further along, and another right at the end of the island
spoiler alert

then once you leave the island you get access to free spec whenever you want it for your characters, and plenty more traders as you progress

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Every npc is a trader or a potential victim of nimble fingers. Almost any party make up will work on medium difficulty. Tactician or honoured becomes a "little" more tricky. Some of thebeauty of this game is revealed in the options..different ways to achieve interesting results )) Sometimes the game will rock you back on your heels with such unexpected situations it's really a treat to experience.

Most NPCs have a reddish barter square top left of there dialogue box. Use a barterer or persuasive character to trade )

GL

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard