Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tiqon Offline OP
OP Offline
This is driving me insane...

I have a global Light probe (the default one you get) and nothing else when it comes to light probes.

I currently use ATM_PBR_Default_LV_Sunny_CS_A, but I have tried others with the same result.

My problem is that the shadows are hard and I can render all light probes and everything looks fine. But when I reload the editor the hard shadows are back.

I wanted to move the lightprobe to show what I mean, and now I see that just moving the light probe a pixel makes the shadows fine, like I have rendered, but I havent. And still after realoding the editor I'm back to hard shadows.

The gif below shows how it looks after a loading of the level and when happens when I move the probe.

I have not had this behavior on a map before... Any idea what goes wrong?

[Linked Image]

V
stranger
stranger
V
I'm also having this same issue. I thought it might be an editor issue but I tested it in the actual game client and the problem persists there. it seems like the light probes rent rendering unless manually moved or rendered. If you figure it out lmk.

Tiqon Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for reporting Vamachara! Lets hope someone from Larian reads this smile.

Tiqon Offline OP
OP Offline
I tried using atmosphere triggers, but that with the same result. Or almost same, now when I move the probe (that is inside my trigger), only the area inside the trigger gets rendered.

V
stranger
stranger
V
The funny thing is, I can edit light probes in other levels without this issue. The level in question is actually half of a level I was working on which I split into two by exporting. When I exported it I forgot to select one of the objects in it so I just re exported and overwrote the previous version of the exported level. Because of that I'm thinking it could be that if I just wipe all the files for the level in the game and editor directories and then re-export again maybe it'll fix it? At any rate I'm off for the night so I'll try it tomorrow and report back.

Tiqon Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, this one I made from scratch. No import/exports or anything like that. I was planning on trying to make a copy in another project, if that would fix it. I have not had this issue before on other maps and I plan to make a new test map just to see if it also is a problem on that new one or its just this one.

This map is HUGE and I have spend many hours on it, so I would be very sorry if I had to start over.

(at work right now, so I can't test right now ;)).

Last edited by Tiqon; 09/07/18 05:52 AM.
addict
addict
Hey everyone,

light probes always render themselves when moving them (since they have a new position and need to be updated for that). They also don't render when doing nothing. So using the render button, or moving them is effectively the only way to make them render.

But, once they have been rendered, they should keep that data. If you save it ofcourse smile
They should not turn black when restarting the editor. Do you have any error messages related to:
1. Failed light probe saving before closing the editor?
2. Unable to load certain light probe paths when opening the level?

Sincerely,
Kevin

Last edited by Larian_KVN; 09/07/18 02:47 PM.

CTRL+K the elf
Tiqon Offline OP
OP Offline
HI Kevin, thanks for looking at the post smile.

Hmm I have not thought of look at errors to be honest, as I have not made any dependencies to other mods and only have mapped. No scripting. When I save I get this error:

DirectX::SaveToDDSFile failed!
Error: ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
Description: The system cannot find the path specified.

Category: Code
Count: 2
Timestamp: 09-07-2018 17:23:07:436
Function: api::D3D11Renderer::SaveRenderTargetData

Another thing that might be related, is I can see that when loading the level I get these two errors:

---------------------------
Filename: "C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Divinity Original Sin 2/Data/Mods/HSCBuildings_48092f5b-1026-4305-a77f-5152dae0693e/meta.lsx" does not exist, can't load mod!

Category: Code
Count: 5
Timestamp: 09-07-2018 17:18:01:599
Function: ls::Module::Load
---------------------------

[ResourceSelector] Can not load information about recent and favorite resources. Detailed error message: Rodelementet mangler..
Stack trace:
ved System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
ved System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
ved System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(XmlReader reader, LoadOptions options)
ved System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(Stream stream, LoadOptions options)
ved ResourceSelectorPlugin.QuickAccessPanelResourcesProvider.Load()

Category: Editor
Count: 1
-----------------------------

I have no idea what that HSC_Buildings mod it rants about is... again I have not added any dependencies.

V
stranger
stranger
V
Hi Kvn, thanks for the response.
There weren't any errors in the message panel related to light probes that I could find.

Sidebar Info for the lightprobe in question
[Linked Image]

Message Panel
[Linked Image]

For some reason simply moving the probe no longer renders it for me. I have to render light probes through the level menu or the toolbar. Even then it won't render unless I've toggled game mode on at least once after each reload, and is only rendered while in game mode. When saving after each render the only messages that appear are

Version Control: Revert unchanged files (0/1): 0ms
Version Control: Retrieving file infos (1/1): 0ms

I've also tried publishing local and running the level in the actual game client after multiple different proceedures to see if it was just a weird editor issue, but the light probe doesn't render in-game either.

I don't know if any of this helps. I plan on going through the game directories and deleting everything pertaining to the level then re-exporting it to see if its some old file from a botched version floating around that's doing this. Ill get back once I'm done.

Tiqon Offline OP
OP Offline
@Vamachara The DirectX: SavetoFile failed error is the one I posted as the first error, you get that when trying to save. I can see you have that too....

So here is what I found...

1.) I created a copy of the level inside the same Project. Same issue. No fix

2.) I created a NEW project, added the troublesome project as a dependency and created a new level as a copy of inherited level. I removed the dependency after I made sure I could save the probe.

Now it works fine....I do NOT get the DirectX error and my light rendering gets saved in my new project.

So yeah, it seems to me that some DirectX files are making this fuss.

V
stranger
stranger
V
@Tiqon,
Your fix worked for me, I was even able to reverse the process and pull the level back into my mod with working lightprobes, thanks for the help!

Tiqon Offline OP
OP Offline
That sounds great Vamachara smile. Hearing an explanation though would please me much wink.

addict
addict
Glad to hear you found a quick workaround smile
It's not related to DirectX, that's just a part of the toolset we use to generate and store those .dds images.

It appears it can't find/open the location where that file has to be stored.
This could be one of many file system related issues such as:
- Folder/File path too long
- No permission to create the target folder
- Target folder not existing
- Manually editing the project folder location/name, causing the engine to fail at creating the target file path
- No read/write access to the file, if it already exists.

I'd have to take look at your Data folder (and the folders inside related to that project) to be able to pinpoint the problem. You can always send me that if you want me to take a further look at it smile

Sincerely,
Kevin

Last edited by Larian_KVN; 10/07/18 10:05 AM.

CTRL+K the elf
Tiqon Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Kevin, I think we will let it rest for now wink. I'm just happy it works again, and I'll keep my eyes open for if it happens again, what might have been the cause.

If this is an issue with a file access problem of some sort, for my project, this could only mean that the file/folder got corrupted by eg. a crash of either The editor or my pc. I havde made no manually changes to files or folder and have used no dependencies and such.

Ofc if you really WANT my files, I'm happy to share them. But my datafolder is 34Gb..... So pinpointing what folders you need might be an idea laugh.

addict
addict
34Gb! Just burn it on some CDs and send it per postal office wink

Kidding aside, if you have it again or you decide to send the files over.
It would be all folders under Data, related to that specific project. So:
- Data/Editor/Mods/{projectX}
- Data/Mods/{projectX}
- Data/Projects/{projectX}
- Data/Public/{projectX}
You can send a link via personal message. Or find me on the divinity Discord under LAR_Kevin.

Sincerely,
Kevin

Last edited by Larian_KVN; 10/07/18 12:42 PM.

CTRL+K the elf
Tiqon Offline OP
OP Offline
HAHA! I actually have a couple of stacks of old CD's that I could use :P.

I'll zip the folders and send it to you to have a look at when your bored wink.

V
stranger
stranger
V
Several weeks later and on an unrelated task I think I might've figured out what was causing this. Did you have a copy of the pak for your mod in both

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2\Mods

and

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2\LocalMods

?

Tiqon Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey. No I do not, and creating a new project helped. I'm still 99% sure it was because I had a very long name for the mod.

I DO know what you mean though, as I have worked on a cooperate project that I had first subscribed to. Bad idea. I never got to see in the game, what was made in the editor.

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard