Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Friibii Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
So my friend is on holiday so i was playing alone.
Then i saw that i had a lot of autosaves and quicksaves and i thought ill just delete them and keep my 2 Main files because i dont need the rest so i started deleting my saves for my solo play and deleted the last save and then clicken on the main coop save and deleted more sooo i basically deleted about 4 hours of progress.

Is there any way to get the saves back or does my friend have the same saves and i worry about nothing?

veteran
veteran
Were you suffering some sort of crippling shortage of space on your hard drive?

Do you have a file-recovery tool by any chance? If so you could try using one of those to look into the save directory. If not, you just deleted your saves and all the backups, just to be extra thorough.

In the future, though, I recommend making two separate profiles, one for your single-player, one for your co-op.

old hand
old hand
Tbf DOS2 saves do take up a good amount of storage space. I used to have like ~200 saves (for one playthrough) and they took up 2+ GB. This is even more impressive when you compare to Witcher 3 where 100-150 saves take up only 150-300 MB.

It's funny though, cause the other day when I found out how much space DOS2 saves cost me, I tried deleting most of them, and guess what, when I started the game with GOG client, the backup feature would restore every single save that I deleted. Ugh.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
Support
Support

Saves are only kept on the host system.

Some versions of Windows have a Shadow Copy feature that can automatically keep older versions of files. You can try right clicking the Profile's Story folder, select Properties and (if available) switch to the 'Previous Versions' tab to see if there are any previous copies.

You could try a file recovery program such as Recuva, but the more you use the computer after files are deleted, the less likely they will be recoverable.
With the Steam version, if cloud support was enabled, you can check in the Steam install folder, in addition to My Documents, since Steam keeps a copy of the profile and saves there, which it uses when syncing online.

For the Steam version, if you had cloud saves enabled, Steam did not sync when you exited the game, and you did not restart the game to get Steam to sync, the online saves should still be available
If applicable, you can check / download / delete online saves with the program Steam Cloud File Manager Lite; Steam usually syncs when exiting the game, and if not should when restarting, so the online saves likely share the fate of the local versions. You need to be logged in to the Steam client and have the game's AppID (435150).

https://github.com/GMMan/SteamCloudFileManagerLite/releases/download/v1.0.0.0-alpha-1/Release.zip

F
Friibii Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
I used a recovery tool already but i only get one old autosave and fj_fortjoy_main.Isf , sys_character_creation_a.lsf ,sys_gm_waitingspot_a.lsf and tut_tutorial_a.lsf back.

F
Friibii Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
and ive triend pasting the old autosave into the story folder but that didnt work it doesnt show up ingame it has the same MB as the other autosaves that i still have so no compressed data.

Support
Support

Try zipping the recovered .lsv file. Recovery programs may or may not be able to recover any/all of the original data, and leave sections of the file blank when that is the case. Since the lsv file is already in a compressed format, a significant drop in size when zipped would indicate missing data.

In Windows Explorer you can zip file(s) or folder(s) by right clicking on it/them and selecting 'Send To | Compressed (zipper) Folder', or you can use a third party archive manager such as 7-Zip.

F
Friibii Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
It lost 1,7 Mb so that makes it unsuable i guess.

journeyman
journeyman
Look in your trash can and see if the folder and files are listed there? I zipped up save folders and sent them around, works fine. So I would think that restoring a folder would work.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard