Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#648741 02/09/18 03:06 PM
Z
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Z
sir lora dying to a surface of poison because I climbed a vine just seems like it shouldnt be a thing that can happen...much worse my partner has pet pal and sir lora doesnt want to talk to him so im forced to take it myself...another bad design choice.

please consider making this noncombat npc immune to damage from surfaces, even though I was able to grab him as a ghost, i just feel completely annoyed that his death was totally out of my control and he cant be rezzed either to add another annoyance factor.

its unfortunate that Ill have to wait for the mod editor to make a mod that allows me to revive him, a player shouldnt have to go to this extent due to maybe an oversight on dev part....

while your at it consider making the cat immune to surfaces also...I know he can die to enemies and thats fine...but not when the npc runs off to avoid a fight and parks himself on top of a surface....come on really?

Last edited by Zeth fox; 02/09/18 03:07 PM.
veteran
veteran
I haen't played much myself, but judging from all the comments it does seem like Sir Lora was poorly implemented. It latches onto the main character, but even if a subsequent character with Pet Pal comes along, he refuses to interact with them. Who thought that was a good idea?

That forces the main character to take Pet Pal, which is obnoxious for everyone except a mage because it screws up their Talent progression - especially Warriors, who need Opportunist or else they suck.

old hand
old hand
I started a new game but haven't even got off the starting ship, so I don't know much myself. From the feedbacks though, I'm getting the impression this new NPC is more trouble than he's worth.

I don't see any problem with making this kind of companion unkillable. In many other games like Neverwinter Nights, Skyrim, or Fallout 4, your follower is simply incapacitated when their health drops too low and they're out of combat for a while until they regain enough health. If this NPC doesn't even participate in combat, that's all the more reason.

Aside from better AI, if we're not making him straight immune to stuff, then we can just give him something like 100% HP regeneration per second or something - at least when out of combat - so it's almost impossible for him to die.

Well, unless dying is actually part of this companion's features. Like story consequences and all that.

Last edited by Try2Handing; 02/09/18 04:10 PM.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
Z
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Z
I actually wish that as the case with lora...that he was designed to die...no he actually just doesnt climb vines instead teleports to you when you are pretty far away...the problem is there are 2 places at the start you are required to climb through that have poison underneath the vine, and while you are climbing he has such little HP that you cant get far enough away to force a teleport.
can he die? yeah they made sure to cover their bases there in that case by spawning him as a ghost later in the story...but its terrible that he died from bad game design choices and not the consequence of a choice i made. Im not helping no damn ghost, either i help him alive or i ignore him completely. you dont have a choice but to climb the vine, you cant get rid of the poison in that area with fire either as it seems like permanent status on ground. worse off the other way around is a area of 30ms of fire and poison cloud. so even if you avoid that (which i did with a 2nd attempt at playthrough. he dies at the 30m death pit of flowers that explode. then you have the area with the pigs so even if you get past that area Im positive he will die at pigs...

the cat and loras AI dont tell it to run from ground effect, instead they just stand there, but atleast the cat can survive both the spots I mention as he seems to have just barely enough more hp than lora that i can quickly heal him. Lora just dies in like 3 secs in either spot.

Someone goofed up and didnt give lora(a noncombat follower) enough hp or enough scripting to tell him to avoid standing in death pits. just bad design choices, Loras starting placement at fort joy was probably done as an after thought by someone that didnt actually try getting lora out of fort joy when they put that spawn point there. The Dev that made that choice probably has no idea how quickly lora dies there(as soon as 3 mins after picking him up if you go left and explore instead of going into the fort).

2nd point, the pet pal thing...the host player has to take it on thier MAIN charecter...you cant even just have a follower take it and talk to them. player 2 gets shooed away by Lora completely, as does the cat. The pet pal thing isnt completely terrible once you can freely respec in and out of pet pal. but it just seems so hackish and wrong that I have to visit the mirror over and over to proceed the quest and maintain my charecters build.
And on another damn note, why doesnt polymorph grant free pet pal...seriously. but thats another topic thats preference.

stranger
stranger
Yea, I have given up on him atm. Wierd thing that happens is he for some reason keeps running around and sometimes he teleports next to my char over and and over again while he slowly dies because my char is standing in fire because he is the tank. I quess its because he is scripted to teleport when he gets too far away. and it triggers because he is running too far, trying to avoid stuff

This also happens when my char is dead.

I'll try recruiting him in another playthrough with a ranged char and see if that makes it any easier.

They should just make him invulnerable or at least give him some magic armor.

As above post said. Having him die because you failed to protect him is one thing, but half the time he just runs into stuff and gets himself killed without any input from the player

Last edited by Gullis; 02/09/18 05:56 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zeth fox
I actually wish that as the case with lora...that he was designed to die...no he actually just doesnt climb vines instead teleports to you when you are pretty far away...the problem is there are 2 places at the start you are required to climb through that have poison underneath the vine, and while you are climbing he has such little HP that you cant get far enough away to force a teleport.

There are several candles in the starting room of the game. Grab some and then chuck them at poison to clear it, then retrieve the candle.

2nd point, the pet pal thing...the host player has to take it on thier MAIN charecter...you cant even just have a follower take it and talk to them. player 2 gets shooed away by Lora completely, as does the cat. The pet pal thing isnt completely terrible once you can freely respec in and out of pet pal. but it just seems so hackish and wrong that I have to visit the mirror over and over to proceed the quest and maintain my charecters build.

Yep, the "Pet Pal required on your main" is just plain bad design no matter how you look at it.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
the pet pal and persuasion required on your main

enthusiast
enthusiast
That's why I have this thing following me around and I can't do anything with it.
It's plainly annoying, is there a way to kill the thing?

veteran
veteran
Just throw oil on it and set it on fire? It dies pretty easily it seems.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Linio
That's why I have this thing following me around and I can't do anything with it.
It's plainly annoying, is there a way to kill the thing?

I believe that the DLC Installed checkbox on your library page is currently not working, Lora remains installed regardless.

But he should be easy to kill, it happens to many people completely by accident and after hitting Act 2 you can probably Source-Vampirize the ghost which follows you.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
You don't have to kill it. Just say "Stop following me around" and then dismiss it and off it goes.

You don't need Pet-Pal to do that either.

Z
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Z
I was trying to purposely be vague so that I dont give away spoilers.

the area im talking about has "perma-poison" on the ground no matter what you do it doesnt go away.

the 2nd area same, no matter what you do the ground statuses dont go away, you set it on fire it explodes and immedately repoisons the area.

the 3rd location worse cause the damn pigs run around like chickens with thier heads cut off on "perma-oiled" surfaces...

even if you got him past all 3 points, dont forget what happens just after the pigs lol...he'll clearly die there.

like I said the person who put that spawn point there didnt actually try a play through with lora to see if it was possible to keep him alive. just bad design.

Z
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Z
Originally Posted by Gullis
Yea, I have given up on him atm. Wierd thing that happens is he for some reason keeps running around and sometimes he teleports next to my char over and and over again while he slowly dies because my char is standing in fire because he is the tank. I quess its because he is scripted to teleport when he gets too far away. and it triggers because he is running too far, trying to avoid stuff

I'll try recruiting him in another playthrough with a ranged char and see if that makes it any easier.

no matter what you try he dies directly after the pigs at the (spoiler alert) "jump scare"battle in the area for exactly this reason.

i did reload after reload saving after i get past one of the areas, sorry Lorian studios but I shouldnt have to save cheese a noncombat npc just to do his quest...bad design is bad design.

Last edited by Zeth fox; 03/09/18 01:01 PM.
S
addict
addict
S

S
stranger
stranger
S
I wholeheartedly endorse this message: improve Lora's chances of not dying and allow non-mains with Pet Pal to converse with him. The People have spoken, Larian: they want to love the squirrel, not loathe him for what he does to our characters, our parties. He should be a celebration, not a nuisance. Amen.

Z
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Z
shouldnt have to mod it, although Im grateful for the mods.
this is really a core issue that could be fixed in a patch. keep in mind console users wont have the steam mod to fix this....

enthusiast
enthusiast
What was the point of the thing?
Should I keep it waiting for it to be fixed?

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
i sort of like that sir lora is so hard to keep alive, it's another consideration for fights

we're in act 2 and he's only died once but he's come close a bunch of times

but yes, i agree that he should have more of a survival instinct and not just stand idly in damaging surfaces until he dies, that would be great

Last edited by miaasma; 03/09/18 05:34 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Zeth fox
Originally Posted by Gullis

no matter what you try he dies directly after the pigs at the (spoiler alert) "jump scare"battle in the area for exactly this reason

i did reload after reload saving after i get past one of the areas, sorry Lorian studios but I shouldnt have to save cheese a noncombat npc just to do his quest...bad design is bad design.

I think I got him past that part. I lost him in the fishery basement inn driftwood. so much fire. i can't imagine the horrors of the oil field fight.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by Linio
What was the point of the thing?
Should I keep it waiting for it to be fixed?

This is what I am still wondering. Both Sir Lora and the black cat, what is the actual purpose of having them around?

Personally, before I got the game, I was under the impression that Sir Lora was supposed to be a party member that fought along side you, not just something that follows you around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard