Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Haran Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
First off I'd like to say that this game is fun! The dialogues are intriguing, the world is big and open to exploration, and the combat system is fun and challenging. As someone who really likes high fantasy RPGs this game is right up my ally.

But I would like to bring up a few flaws I encountered.

I was disappointed by the blatant sexualization of the female characters' art design. This especially bugged me during character creation, since during the rest of the game you don't usually see characters from up close. I'd urge any art designers who may be reading this to please stop with the boob armor, chain mail bikinis and over-the-top feminine poses. I want my female heroes to look as badass as their male counterparts.
On a more technical point, I felt that the inventory system was quite a chore. I ended up with a ton of dead weight in my pack that I had no idea what to do with and that I had to shuffle between my party's inventories to avoid encumbrance.
The camera was also kind of annoying. While it is a nice idea in principle that you could rotate the camera and see things from different angles, in practice it's just annoying and not at all preferable to your standard isometric view.
Lastly, at least as far as technical things go, the movement of everything felt very "slow". When I tried to drag character portraits, skills or items in my inventory it usually took a long while for the game to respond. Or worse, it'd do nothing and I had to re-drag it multiple times.
Oh, and when scrolling down in my inventory, it would decide that down is up mid-scroll, taking me back to the top of my inventory while I'm trying to scroll *down*, which was annoying as hell.
Regarding the romance and sex, it's great that you have it for people who enjoy it, but I don't. It feels hella awkward, and I would appreciate it not being shoved in my face. It was especially jarring during the Hall of Echos scene that connects the Nameless Isle and Arx, where out of nowhere you're hit with the "go below decks and get intimate with one of your companions" dialogue, and in the scene where the Red Prince is having sex with his lover in the carriage.
Lastly, the ending, after the final battle, was rather anti climatic. It looked like there was going to be a big montage detailing how your actions affected the world and the people you met along the way, like I've seen in other games, Pillars of Eternity for example. But instead all I got were only a few underwhelming tidbits. I think expanding this part of the game, even though it's just pre-credits fluff, would have left me with a greater sense of accomplishment and the urge to re-play the game with different choices along the way.

Again, despite those few flaws, I would warmly recommend this game to any fellow gamer out there.

stranger
stranger
I have no problem with the female character design and actually like them. I'd like to suggest that instead of removing features that others enjoy and have no problem with, instead giving the player a feature toggle that when enabled would replace any "sexy" female armour models with non-sexy alternatives.

tag Offline
stranger
stranger
Are you crazy, it is one of the best things about the game, female's look nice, and have the shape that is expected, and traditionally desired.

It is fantasy, why would characters not look like those you find in movie's. I guess you want the female's to run around with blocks of Lego stuck all over them, and call it armor. I don't need practicality to enter into my fantasy playing. You will get junk armor like Dragon age inquisition had, which I liked the game except for the ugly people, and trashy looking armor, and poor posture.

I personally like for fantasy reasons my characters to look, like those you might seen in a movie, and not like some walking trash can, with arm's and leg's covered in Burlap sticking out of it. That might be practical, but for me it would be a total turn off, in my very personal fantasy game play.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by tag
Are you crazy, it is one of the best things about the game, female's look nice, and have the shape that is expected, and traditionally desired.

It is fantasy, why would characters not look like those you find in movie's. I guess you want the female's to run around with blocks of Lego stuck all over them, and call it armor. I don't need practicality to enter into my fantasy playing. You will get junk armor like Dragon age inquisition had, which I liked the game except for the ugly people, and trashy looking armor, and poor posture.

I personally like for fantasy reasons my characters to look, like those you might seen in a movie, and not like some walking trash can, with arm's and leg's covered in Burlap sticking out of it. That might be practical, but for me it would be a total turn off, in my very personal fantasy game play.

Don't call someone "crazy" because they have a different opinion than you. That's incredibly sexist of you. Too often, the voices and opinions of women are just reflexively shouted down and dismissed by men, and you are exactly part of the problem.

tag Offline
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Originally Posted by tag

Don't call someone "crazy" because they have a different opinion than you. That's incredibly sexist of you. Too often, the voices and opinions of women are just reflexively shouted down and dismissed by men, and you are exactly part of the problem.

Happy to be of help then, as I think in fantasy game's one of the best things to happen, is to be able to see image's of fantasy people, as we personally would desire them to be.

I have no problem if they wish to make a burlap bag version for those that want it, and and Option to choose that over traditional fantasy look that one might see in the movies, or on the cover of a fantasy magazine, or fantasy novel.

The real world is not what I want in a fantasy, but for those that do, If the cost is not to great to the game maker, and they "Personally" wish to make that option then sure have and option.

But games like ME Andromeda, were very much ruined by there catering to to the feminist movement, instead of there fan base.

Also my "are you crazy" statement was made in a sarcastic manor, and not truly meaning the person was crazy, and I suspect you knew that, you just trolled me on that one.

I also put the "I personally" in my statement, as I know others have there own Ideas about such things, and I have mine.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I actually quite liked Andromeda: it had its clumsy moments but IMHO was a lot better than widely reported. Its main problem was just a bit of a lack of polish, which made it feel as if Bioware had given up on it before it was even released (though I have my own theories about that: after the ME3 ending fiasco the next game was pretty much a dead cert to be panned; Andromeda actually did a reasonable job of distancing itself from that utter mess).

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
I like the armor because I believe that its look stays true to the fantasy genre that inspired everything great about it.
But everyone has their opinions and are welcome to sharethem as long as it doesn't ruin the rest of the community's experience, but I have to mention that changing gear color would be a fantastic addition.

journeyman
journeyman
I also want to explain that the ending is anti-climactic for a good reason and that reason is the fact that a part of RPGs like Divinity Original Sin 2 is allowing the player to make their own conclusions and plot directions for the story where possible.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by ShadowStorm
But everyone has their opinions and are welcome to sharethem as long as it doesn't ruin the rest of the community's experience

Er, isn't that my line? :p

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
Oops! I was sorta skimming through the posts😅

tag Offline
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by vometia
I actually quite liked Andromeda: it had its clumsy moments but IMHO was a lot better than widely reported. Its main problem was just a bit of a lack of polish, which made it feel as if Bioware had given up on it before it was even released (though I have my own theories about that: after the ME3 ending fiasco the next game was pretty much a dead cert to be panned; Andromeda actually did a reasonable job of distancing itself from that utter mess).

I don't wish to troll this, but I agree, I very much enjoyed Andromeda, with the help of the modding community many of the less liked problems it had were fixable. ( I am so very proud of the selfless individuals that mod, and help to fix many of the undesired choices for some that are made in game's, it has been such a boon to so many games. )

I still play Andromeda, but it did not fair well enough for the bean counter's, and so it was or has been scrubbed for now, and we can only hope that they realize some of there poor choice's, and that future version's of the game will eventually return to entertain us.

I will truly miss the ME Universe's if they do not.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I'm wondering if there's still a chance that we'll see more: I'd resigned myself to Bioware having binned its popular franchises since Hudson apparently dedicated their efforts to pursing his Great White Elephant, whatever it's called, but just heard that there is a Dragon Age IV (actual name TBA) in the works which suggests to me that they may do more ME as well.

I suppose I feel almost trollish for suggesting it, though it honestly isn't my intent, that the best chance of recovering the series is just to admit they absolutely screwed up in every way with ME3 and that it should no longer be considered canonical; I guess a bit like the Peter Cushing Doctor Who films, which I loved but which are kind of problematic for the franchise as a whole. ME3 was so clumsily handled and just stripped away the mystique of the series in a very man-behind-the-curtains sort of way. Interesting how those first three MEs kind of mimic the Alien series in terms of how they were: first was much more deep, mysterious and a bit scary; second was much shooty and more gung-ho; and the third just suffered too many re-writes without knowing either what it wanted to be or where it was going.

It's not the only game where I feel the same way. Another one is Bioshock Infinite, which is itself a controversial choice, especially as some felt it was Levine's attempt to say "this is how Bioshock II should've been done": but my opinions are perhaps already controversial in that I prefer II to the original in some ways! But the post-ending DLC, as much as I loved playing it, really didn't sit well with me for various reasons: it was a really fun "what if...?" but redacted and retconned too much stuff from the series to be taken seriously. And I hated its ambiguous and seemingly fatalistic ending.
As I suspected, though seemingly as a minority opinion, she didn't actually die, as confirmed by Levine himself; though sadly with a "just because she's awesome" explanation rather than some of the rather more elegant theories put forward by players.

Blimey, I am meandering about rather a lot with this. It's obviously that time of day. Weren't we talking about chainmail bikinis or something?

J'aime le fromage.
old hand
old hand
Crazy is gender neutral. Disrespectful, insulting, or whatever but not sexist.

Originally Posted by Stabbey
[quote=tag]Are you crazy, it is one of the best things about the game, female's look nice, and have the shape that is expected, and traditionally desired.

Last edited by meme; 21/12/18 07:39 PM.
old hand
old hand
I don't have much to add. My biggest gripes was the combat system (not so much armor/magic shield; but stat impact and ap which made the combat static mundane boring); and the gazillion quest bugs. As for the ending well it could have been more exciting (from a literary perspective) but it is what it is - by the time I was finished I was glad to be finished.
-
As for female models - I'm a guy and visually i lean towards certain type of models. My understanding from talking to friends is that some woman object if the model is too 'sexy' and some object if it isn't 'sexy' enough. The simple choice is provide both but I know there will be those that object if the 'too sexy' model exist even if there is are options of 'so so sexy' and 'not sexy at all' to 'anti-sexy'. Some of it is probably legit (not sure as I don't have a full understanding of the macro dynamics socially - i know what some people claim but i don't have any raw data); some of it is pc (political correctness) and quite frankly some people just like to argue.
-
(I don't see many complaints that the male models are 'too sexy')...
-
Anyway it is what ever the developer provides. Though if they do a d:os-3 I hope they move combat closer to d:os-1 than d:os-2 which was a real drag.
(I played d:os-2 twice and d:os-2 definitive once - all three games on tactical - and I ran into a huge number of quest bugs in what should have been the cleanest version of the game - which I didn't find very definitive given all the bugs).

old hand
old hand
Even though I replayed bioshock infinite during the summer; I can't remember what i thought of the ending other than not really liking it. Sort of a guy who made a deal with the devil and died sort of thing is what I think i thought. I did like one of the two dlcs - i forget which. The game sort of lost something - when I replayed it this summer - the first time I played it i think i found it more interesting but that was a while ago and another life.
-
ME:A I hated the first 5 hours; but then it grew on me and i found it a lot of fun. The story wasn't really a thing in the game - it was more of a fancy shooter with story elements to keep it moving. ME-3 should have been really good but then they forgot about all the choices you made during the game and had a bland ending. I never quite understood it - it was like they ran out of money (or ran into a hard deadline) and couldn't get that extra 2 dollar or week to at least make a marginal attempt at having your earlier decisions branch the end.
-
At least in the beginning I think the problem with bioware was corporate (EA) mandated direction. Today the company has probably been sufficiently diluted due to personal changeover that we can only guess.
-
Remember EA objective is not good profit but growth - as is the case with most public companies.
-
Anyway cdprojek will likely deliver with cyberpunk but those looking for a good party based game it won't help a lot.

It's not the only game where I feel the same way. Another one is Bioshock Infinite, which is itself a controversial choice, especially as some felt it was Levine's attempt to say "this is how Bioshock II should've been done":

As I suspected, though seemingly as a minority opinion, she didn't actually die, as confirmed by Levine himself; though sadly with a "just because she's awesome" explanation rather than some of the rather more elegant theories put forward by players.

Blimey, I am meandering about rather a lot with this. It's obviously that time of day. Weren't we talking about chainmail bikinis or something?

tag Offline
stranger
stranger
I'm wondering if there's still a chance that we'll see more: I'd resigned myself to Bioware having binned its popular franchises since Hudson apparently dedicated their efforts to pursing his Great White Elephant, whatever it's called, but just heard that there is a Dragon Age IV (actual name TBA) in the works which suggests to me that they may do more ME as well.

I suppose I feel almost trollish for suggesting it, though it honestly isn't my intent, that the best chance of recovering the series is just to admit they absolutely screwed up in every way with ME3 and that it should no longer be considered canonical; I guess a bit like the Peter Cushing Doctor Who films, which I loved but which are kind of problematic for the franchise as a whole. ME3 was so clumsily handled and just stripped away the mystique of the series in a very man-behind-the-curtains sort of way. Interesting how those first three MEs kind of mimic the Alien series in terms of how they were: first was much more deep, mysterious and a bit scary; second was much shooty and more gung-ho; and the third just suffered too many re-writes without knowing either what it wanted to be or where it was going.
[/spoiler]

Yes I remember that chain mail topic in DA: Inquisition, went on for 2 or 300 pages.. LOL

I think, though many may disagree that ME:A was ruined by Anthem I think that is the white Elephant you are speaking of. It I think pulled to many people away from one of there best money making series, and in the process left a lot of Gap's in there production of ME:A. This was probably one of the most destructive things that happened to ME:A.
Most Of my friend's, and many of the thread's I read about ME:A tend to do a lot of complaining about there de-beautification of the romance character's, and player character. The animation problems seem to be just a complaint, and for the most part these for me were fix well enough. ( I have still occasionally seen the head twist around back wards which makes me laugh, but over all I thought these were taken care of.
However the de-beautification of the romance characters, and many of the clothing Options are what most everyone I talk to about it were truly upset about.

I think I can understand that as for me one of the best parts of the ME series was trying to manage your saved game's so you could do all the Romances, and replaying the game just to do that. I personally just never found the romances in ME:A to be as entertaining, Probably the only one that I felt My self that was reasonably fluffed out was the Jaal, the others seemed some what tacky, and did not feel right.

And I am sorry for drifting the the OP comments so far, but it does sort of pertain to this problem with The choices of Traditional Beauty, and realistic Beauty, or bulky armor, or eye candy Armor. When game's have the Romance options, and choice's to make in them.
I personally find it to be important, in my roll playing of a fantasy game ( pointing out the Fantasy part, as in my fantasy's the characters would be traditionally handsome, and Beautiful, with truly Evil Villain's, and maybe a side kick put in there for Comic relief smile .)

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Thread drift is just one of those things that happens! I hadn't considered Anthem as being the reason that none of their A-listers were available to give ME:A a bit of a polish but that certainly makes a lot of sense. Though I do have to give them a lot of respect for I think mostly getting the problems ironed out themselves.

One thing that was lacking and which I think did require the old guard (and may indeed have actually been a requirement rather than a nice-to-have) is the awful shallow romances. Okay, I only romanced Suvi who was nice enough but the whole thing was a case of blink-and-you'll-miss-it. It seems that the basic groundwork was done for that story branch and then never expanded on. In more general terms, same with the general recreational side of things: although there was a reasonable amount of banter and personal quests while on missions, there seemed nothing when back at base, not like there was at the Presidium, for instance. Again, there was the basics but as with the romances it felt they'd been sketched out and then just forgotten.

J'aime le fromage.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard