Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Javier Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I'm hosting a multiplayer game, and have 3 friends who play with me. We've had an issue where when they are first joining our hosted game they have to go through an installing phase before joining, and can join after reaching 100%. However, the installing phase happens every time (this never happened in DOS2 vanilla) and can take anywhere from 15 minutes up to 45 minutes. We have the same mods and mod versions.

stranger
stranger
I have the same problem. 15 minute "installing" screen with a "B to return to main menu" prompt at the bottom, where B is like an xbox controller B.
I'm on pc, windows 10 and I don't use a controller to play...

stranger
stranger
+1

My friends and I have the same problem. Installing phase can take much longer than 45min if the internet connection is slow !

In my case, it seems that the game downloads a file called "Patch2.pak" in the folder "C:\[...]\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition\Mods". This file's size is approximately 500Mo.

We have verified that we have the same:

- game version
- enabled mods
- mods versions

Any idea ?

EDIT: we also have checked that we have the same mods order in the mods list.
EDIT: the second time we load our game, there is another install phase. This time, it downloads another file called "Patch1_TDE.pak" in the same folder

Last edited by Waliens; 09/12/18 05:17 PM.
stranger
stranger
Hey!
Fixed this problem! It's the mod LadyCFreePetPal thats the problem apparently.
Unsubscribe from Free Pet Pal on steam, delete the file from your /mods directory along with the "Patch...pak" files and you should be good smile

stranger
stranger
My friends are having this exact problem and we had LadyCFreePetPal installed. We all uninstalled it and unsubbed and deleted the files, but the patch files keep coming back for my friends. Not sure whats making the files come back

stranger
stranger
There's a big problem with a wide variety of mods, for what I have seen even the TrackerClass or Chronomancer mods triggers this weird installing, what's more weird tho is :

I've downloaded that file, "Patch1_TDE.pak", and unpaked it only to find ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the mods that were triggering its downloading, but wait, there's more...

The MD5 hash of the "Patch1_TDE.pak" downloaded in our Mods folder is the EXACT SAME as the one in our game files at ".\Divinity - Original Sin 2\DefEd\Data\Patch1_TDE.pak".

So from what I understand so far is that something in some mods is triggering a download of native files from the very data of the game into our mods folder.

Welp... I'm kinda lost.

stranger
stranger
Okay, found a way to bypass the issue, pretty sure that's hacky but just to be sure, know that I tried nothing more than :

- Fix the longass installing loading
- Being able to play the mods I want with my friends
- I play ONLY with friends, so I don't know if it's an issue in multi lobbies
- Plus, I have absolutely no experience in modding on Dos2
- Bonus Plus, sorry for my english, but bear with my explanations :<

If you're ok with that then, look for the mods that cause the installing issue (you can have multiple of them triggering one of the two download of Patch_1TDE or Patch_2, you'll get why in a bit) and unpak the mods in a safe folder,

once it's done go into your mod specific folder and open the "meta.lsx" then look for <node id="ModuleShortDesc"> then search for <attribute id="Folder" value="GameMaster" type="30" /> and/or <attribute id="Folder" value="DOS2_Arena" type="30" />

Once you found them (or one of them) delete the whole thing starting from the <node id="ModuleShortDesc"> to the </node> surrounding it. (If you don't get what i'm talking about it should be a little more helping : https://i.imgur.com/K2Xle4y.jpg )

Save it, repak it, make sure to give it it's correct name and tell your friends to remove the old version of the mod before launching the game and you should be able to play with your pals without waiting for another lightyear, at least it worked for me on multiple mods who were causing the installing issue.

stranger
stranger
Sorry for my еnglish, I'm from Russia :)
We have the same problems with my friends. Firts time "installing" appears 6 Dec.
Of course, we can wait these half an hour. But! This process freezes the computer of the one who invites friends to the game! And only a computer restart can help, which means that you have to send invitations one more time and wait for the "installing" again and again. It's a vicious circle. We spent three hours today trying to start the game. I'm done.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Agenista
Sorry for my еnglish, I'm from Russia smile
We have the same problems with my friends. Firts time "installing" appears 6 Dec.
Of course, we can wait these half an hour. But! This process freezes the computer of the one who invites friends to the game! And only a computer restart can help, which means that you have to send invitations one more time and wait for the "installing" again and again. It's a vicious circle. We spent three hours today trying to start the game. I'm done.

Have you tried my above solution ?

Javier Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I found that instead of doing the above solution, if you just leave the lobby and relaunch Divinity, it'll sometimes skip the installing aspect. In our multiplayer game, one person has the installing issue out of 4 of us, and when they quit the load screen, close Divinity, and relaunch, it'll just power right through like normal.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Makpptfox

once it's done go into your mod specific folder and open the "meta.lsx" then look for <node id="ModuleShortDesc"> then search for <attribute id="Folder" value="GameMaster" type="30" /> and/or <attribute id="Folder" value="DOS2_Arena" type="30" />

Once you found them (or one of them) delete the whole thing starting from the <node id="ModuleShortDesc"> to the </node> surrounding it. (If you don't get what i'm talking about it should be a little more helping : https://i.imgur.com/K2Xle4y.jpg )

Save it, repak it, make sure to give it it's correct name and tell your friends to remove the old version of the mod before launching the game and you should be able to play with your pals without waiting for another lightyear, at least it worked for me on multiple mods who were causing the installing issue.

Worked for me ! However, I have to re-apply the process from time to time (even when there is no update). As if Steam repairs the mods I have changed in the background.

stranger
stranger
My problem just came back. The issue is not with any specific mod, I think, but rather something with the Patch* file and how the game handles multiple people having mods and stuff?
We've been playing fine after uninstalling the mod I thought was the issue, but tonight my friends game crashed and when he started the game back up and I tried to connect, the Installing bug was back. Quitting and reloading does nothing.
Larian please have a look at whats going on with this?? It's obviously a problem for several people here as well as in the Steam forums.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by MintBoa
My problem just came back. The issue is not with any specific mod, I think, but rather something with the Patch* file and how the game handles multiple people having mods and stuff?
We've been playing fine after uninstalling the mod I thought was the issue, but tonight my friends game crashed and when he started the game back up and I tried to connect, the Installing bug was back. Quitting and reloading does nothing.
Larian please have a look at whats going on with this?? It's obviously a problem for several people here as well as in the Steam forums.

Have you tried the solution proposed by Makpptfox ? It worked for me !

journeyman
journeyman
This needs to get fixed ASAP tbh. @Larian this is a highly infuriating bug and I really wish you'd make this a priority. You can't expect people to go through every god damn mod and remove the GM / Arena tags from every Meta file.

In future please properly beta test your patches to the game

stranger
stranger
My one friend (a Win 10 user) joined in an unmodded game of another friend (a Win 8 user), and I joined him, too (I'm also a Win 8 user). I had no trouble, Win 10 friend had to download/install Patch2.pak, and when he finally got into the game, anytime he got wet (stepping into the ocean, for instance), he became Invisible; he also reported we were source infused, when we were actually source muted (beginning of the game before getting the collars off)... but it was only on his end. It was unplayable for him. Win 10 friend and I did a search, and the Patch2.pak stuff started after the Dec. 5th update.

Also, anytime I tried joining a game of his, I had to download/install Patch2.pak, even if I had already fully downloaded and installed it before, but no weirdness came on my end...

I hope that's a good starting point for Larian's search for the problem, because whatever this bug is, it SERIOUSLY needs IMMEDIATE attention, as it's affecting a whole community of gamers.

Why not revert back to the previous update (Before Dec 5th, when these problems started), and rebuild from that point? Or even make a test server for said rollback to make sure? I LOVE DOS2, but this is just making me feel nothing but frustration from the game anymore...

stranger
stranger
This problem makes the game literally unplayable. My friend and I are forced to wait for at least an hour to just connect to the game. Furthermore my friend, who is the host starts to lag when I'm loading. He gets his fps reduced to 1 and it only goes away when I disconnect. And then I have to install/load for another hour, making this an endless loop because he's going to lag again...

journeyman
journeyman
I have put all this on the official Divinity: Original Sin discord: HERE
The files you will need are HERE:

Hacky Fix for the installation bug
Disclaimer: I haven't tested this process thoroughly. It is a very hacky fix that works for me. Not sure if it'll work for you. I don't recommend this unless you're a confident windows user

This process should take less than 5 Mins

Thanks to @Norbyte#8071. Without his ExtractionTools this would not be possible
Thanks to the forum user Makpptfox for confirming my suspicions.

Extracting Multiple Paks

1: Win+R > Type cmd
2: Type:

Code
cd %userprofile%\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition\

3: Extract zip to that folder so that the folder structure is this: Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition\Tools
4: In CMD type:
Code
for %i in (Mods\*.pak) do "Tools\dbg-build\ConverterApp\Divine.exe" -s "%userprofile%\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition\%i" -d "C:\%i" -a extract-package -i pak

This will look for the names of every .pak files inside the mods folder and extract them to each respective folder using those names to C:\Mods

Renaming contents of multiple files
5: Open FAR as administrator
6: Go to FAR > Settings > File Types > File Extensions and add .lsx after .conf. It should look like this: .txt .text .log .conf .lsx
7: Go to Find tab
8: Change the File Name Pattern to meta.lsx
9: Copy the following, (Including the space above <node id="Target">), and paste it into Content pattern with Wrap Lines ticked and click find. See Image1
Code

<node id="ModuleShortDesc">
                            <attribute id="Folder" value="DOS2_Arena" type="30" />
                            <attribute id="MD5" value="" type="23" />
                            <attribute id="Name" value="Arena" type="22" />
                            <attribute id="UUID" value="a99afe76-e1b0-43a1-98c2-0fd1448c223b" type="22" />
                            <attribute id="Version" value="270278417" type="4" />
                        </node>

10: Go to Replace tab
11: Make sure the same stuff is in the "Find..." field with Wrap Lines ticked, ensure that all instances containing the search are ticked and hit replace, See Image2
12: Now do the same for:

Code

<node id="ModuleShortDesc">
                            <attribute id="Folder" value="GameMaster" type="30" />
                            <attribute id="MD5" value="" type="23" />
                            <attribute id="Name" value="Game Master" type="22" />
                            <attribute id="UUID" value="00550ab2-ac92-410c-8d94-742f7629de0e" type="22" />
                            <attribute id="Version" value="270208372" type="4" />
                        </node>

Repacking Multiple paks
12: Go back to cmd and type:
Code
for %i in (Mods\*.pak) do "dbg-build\ConverterApp\Divine.exe" -s "C:\%i" -d "%userprofile%\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition\Mods\%i" -a create-package -i pak

This will get all the names of every .pak file in the mods folder and rebuild the folders in C:\Mods into paks using the respective names.

Additional notes
1 - It might be worth checking steam workshop directly as this will show you whether or not a mod will contain these attributes in the meta.lsx file. See image3. Then you would only need to do this for those mods. If you have a lot however it'll just be faster to do this process for each one
2 - Any update will obviously undo this process, so I'd suggest making the modified paks read only.
3 - You may need to enable long paths for your operating system. Windows 10 users may need to google 'LongPathsEnabled'. Example result: How to enable long path names
4 - You only need to repak the mods that declare a dependency. This only works on mods that are not actually dependent on Game master or Arena. Obviously.

The mods causing issues for me were as follows:
Helaens priest mod
Ryukis stop your resistance
Hephaistos Astronomer / Astronomer 100% chance / Chronomancer
Odinblades corpse explosion deals physical damage

Last edited by RKane; 13/01/19 03:51 PM.
stranger
stranger
If you have a meta.lsx file in your steam folder Steam\steamapps\common\Divinity Original Sin 2\DefEd\Data\Mods\DivinityOrigins_1301db3d-1f54-4e98-9be5-5094030916e4
delete it, this fixed the problem instantaneously for myself and a friend

stranger
stranger
Also having this issue... Started a GM Mode game... 1 friend joined instantly no problem when I was hosting, then another friend, kept trying to load patch2.pak into the mods folder.. long install time.

So I had that friend try to host a GM mode game and I tried to Join and I also had the long load time and install of the patch2.pak. These issues only happen in GM mode.. in story mode we can join games no problem... So whats going on?? Have Larian just stopped supporting this game... This thread has been going for a month and not a single reply from Larian? are they working on it?

A
stranger
stranger
A
Larian, it is getting hard to defend you guys. I really love GM Mode, I have a Twitch Channel where I host two year long campaigns of D&D 5e inside the GM Mode. Last Steam sale (Dec 23, to be exactly) 9 people got DOSII because of my channel, so they could play with us. And since then, people got really mad because of this bug, plus the lack of news upon this turned it into a joke. I hope you guys fix this soon, or allow us to rollback the last update somehow. frown

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard