Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Checa Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I know how modify some talent but no all of them like "Demon" or "Ice King" and also i don't see where i can created new talent so here i am searching answer.

I cannot find the answer for my question in the wiki. :(

journeyman
journeyman
It's not possible. The closest you can get is taking an unimplemented talent that the engine still recognizes and scripting effects onto it. That's how this mod works:

In one of the recent comments on that page I outline the basics of how to get started doing that, if you're interested: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1508979975

Checa Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Late but very thanks, i use what you say merged two talent or created secundaries effect with story scripts.

https://docs.larian.game/Scripting_talent_types

veteran
veteran
There's a mod which changes Pet Pal to give you a free Talent point when you take it. I want to do the same thing for the Opportunist Talent. (Because any melee fighter is really bad without Opportunist, therefore making it essentially mandatory as your first Talent anyway.)

But I don't know how LadyCassandra got Free Pet Pal working. Actually, I think I COULD figure it out, but I don't know what tool I need to properly view the PAK.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Norbyte's tool will do most of what you need: it'll extract (and repack, if necessary) various stuff, convert the binaries to/from xml and so on.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Ah, thanks, that let me open the file. I believe that I understand what the code files are doing, but I should also look up some other tutorials to make sure.

EDIT: This seems straightforward. There are two procedures with the same name. The first one only starts if the calling character does not have Animal Empathy and the "has this been called already?" tag. In that case, it adds Animal Empathy and sets the tag.

In the second case, it starts if the character DOES have Animal empathy but not the tag. In that case it gives a free Talent point and sets the tag.

Last edited by Stabbey; 15/04/19 02:15 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Sounds like you've found what you need to know: awesome, you're now the expert on the subject, especially compared to me. biggrin Even mostly confining myself to fiddling about with the models, modding has been a somewhat frustrating experience. Though I hasten to add that isn't a dig at DOS2 modding at all, I find most things a frustrating experience, and compared to most games, "frustrating" is better than "impossible". And it's also a lot easier than modding Divinity 2, which was possible but impractically awkward.

Er anyway, I digress, as ever.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
I'm not THAT much of an expert. The mod I created doesn't show up in the list in the main menu. I must have done something wrong or missed a critical step.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Stabbey
The mod I created doesn't show up in the list in the main menu. I must have done something wrong or missed a critical step.

Did you try to create the mod using the editor or did you try to create a pak file manually using Norbyte's tool?

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Windemere
The mod I created doesn't show up in the list in the main menu. I must have done something wrong or missed a critical step.

Did you try to create the mod using the editor or did you try to create a pak file manually using Norbyte's tool?

I tried creating the pak file manually. I did look at the editor first, but I couldn't figure out how to use it to do what I wanted. I could try looking at a copy of the "Free Pet Pal" mod in the editor and seeing if I can figure out how it works in there.

old hand
old hand
If all you did was extract her package and then try to create your own version with modified text files under the "..\Story\RawFiles\Goals" directory to add Opportunist .. that won't work. Your mod needs a valid story, which is compiled from those text files that reside in the Goals directory. Maybe I've inferred incorrectly on how you tried to do this, just guessing based on what I've read here.

Last edited by Windemere; 16/04/19 09:42 PM.

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
veteran
veteran
If all you did was extract her package and then try to create your own version with modified text files under the "..\Story\RawFiles\Goals" directory to add Opportunist .. that won't work. Your mod needs a valid story, which is compiled from those text files that reside in the Goals directory. Maybe I've inferred incorrectly on how you tried to do this, just guessing based on what I've read here.

No, that's how I tried to do it. I did look at the other files, but they said they were automatically generated (do not modify). I thought that meant you didn't need to touch them. I was wrong.

I wanted to look at the mod whose functionality I'm trying to duplicate, but when I hit "Import Project" in the Divinity Engine, it says "Select the module you want to import from the 'Divinity Original Sin 2\Data\Mods' folder", but even when I try to point it to the right directory, it's not seeing it and gives a "Failed to import module 'Mods'! Mods folder can't be found."

...Does the editor only work for the Vanilla version and not Definitive Edition? EDIT: That can't be it, the settings are pointing to the DefEdData directory, it must support it.

old hand
old hand
It's expecting you to have a project file along with the mods directory in order to import. The project file is not distributed with the pak file.

If you would like, I could easily put something together to get you started and send you the source files if you ever want to modify how you want it to work.

If so, how exactly would you like this to work to start? What is the arbiter of giving someone Opportunist? Any single point in warfare is sufficient or some other matrix? Do you want this to work for current save games?

Last edited by Windemere; 16/04/19 10:57 PM.

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
veteran
veteran
Something to help me get started would be fantastic, it's much more than I was expecting.

The reason why I want a "Free Opportunist" mod is because shortly before the DE came out, I started a unique build, the "Exploding Kamikaze". The idea was to take Unstable and Morning Person as the first two Talents. The character in question fights in melee range and attacks enemies relentlessly without regard for self-healing, so the explosion will damage and take out another enemy. I reached level 4 with that party, but by that time it became clear that a melee fighter without Opportunist was absolutely crippled at their job. Opportunist on a melee fighter is non-optional. Attacks of Opportunity are so important that it seems like they should be a core part of the gameplay, not locked behind a Talent.

If I were to adjust my build to take Opportunist first, that would mean my build could not even get started until level 8. And there are many other builds also affected by that.

So how would this work...

The minimum requirement would be that if you spend a Talent point into Opportunist, the game awards you a free Talent point. I wouldn't mind if it was handled in a way "just give it to all characters for free", except for this issue: The Free Pet Pal mod does not seem to take into account what happens if you use a respec mirror and remove the free Pet Pal point, thus giving you an extra, and I'm not sure that it's possible to account for that if you already spent it on something.

So I suppose the simplest solution to avoiding giving extra Talent points via respec mirrors is that you still will need to have Warfare 1 to take Opportunist.

If it has to work for current saved games, that would probably mean needing to run a check whenever a game is loaded, yes? My preference is that it can work on saved games, but it does not NEED to work on current saved games if it would produce too much overhead checking for that.

Is that enough information?

Thanks for any help and advice you can offer.

old hand
old hand
The minimum requirement would be that if you spend a Talent point into Opportunist, the game awards you a free Talent point. I wouldn't mind if it was handled in a way "just give it to all characters for free", except for this issue: The Free Pet Pal mod does not seem to take into account what happens if you use a respec mirror and remove the free Pet Pal point, thus giving you an extra, and I'm not sure that it's possible to account for that if you already spent it on something.

So I suppose the simplest solution to avoiding giving extra Talent points via respec mirrors is that you still will need to have Warfare 1 to take Opportunist.

Ah okay. I can keep track of whenever Opportunist has been granted for free, when players respec, and when talents are removed or added. The problem is, I am not sure if I can take away a talent point to spend (there is a call to add the number of talent points, I just don't know if a negative integer is permitted and used for subtraction, I will have to try). If talent points can't be taken away, if a player goes into respec and removes Opportunist, they will get refunded a point. This will open up a window for them to increase the talent pool point by one. I could put in some funky logic that if they were granted Opportunist and they respec and remove Opportunist they will not be allowed to choose another talent until they take Opportunist again. Not as elegant, but could work.

If it has to work for current saved games, that would probably mean needing to run a check whenever a game is loaded, yes? My preference is that it can work on saved games, but it does not NEED to work on current saved games if it would produce too much overhead checking for that.

Actually, the way it was implemented for PetPal already does take into account loading saved games, it basically checks whenever the game client is started. The overhead would be imperceptible.

So how about this approach:

1. All players will be given Opportunist and the mod will track when this has been done for each player.

2. If a player later removes Opportunist, the mod will perform one of the following:

2a. Reduce the number of available talent points by 1.

or

2b. Force the player to take Opportunist before any additional talents as to ensure no free talent point stealing. I'll display some text to indicate as much.

Does that make sense?

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
veteran
veteran

So how about this approach:

1. All players will be given Opportunist and the mod will track when this has been done for each player.

2. If a player later removes Opportunist, the mod will perform one of the following:

2a. Reduce the number of available talent points by 1.

or

2b. Force the player to take Opportunist before any additional talents as to ensure no free talent point stealing. I'll display some text to indicate as much.

Does that make sense?

That makes sense, yes. It seems like a good approach. You can take all the credit for the mod.

I would hopefully like to see the project at some point, just to see how it looks in the editor so I can understand how it was done. The closest thing I can find in the editor is the Script Editor, and the format used in the provided scripts seems a little different than the format from the \Goals\mod_text_files.

old hand
old hand
Sounds good. I fully intended to send you the zipped archive of the project along with the pak file so that you can open it up, edit it, and change things however you like in the future. It really shouldn't be much work. I didn't intend to publish on Steam so feel free to do that at your leisure if you want to make it public. Don't worry about the credit, that's not important to me. I'll just be a little step ladder to get you up and going. smile I should have something tonight.

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard