Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
veteran
veteran
S
maybe because it wasnt designed for MMOs and the combat system doesnt work in real time because its specifically designed for tactical turn based, positioning and resource management focused combat

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Sordak
I dont even disagree with you. But are you actually going to tell me im wrong?
the reason people still mod NWN1 and to a lesser degree NWN2 is because its realy easy. The graphics of NWN1 are extremely simple and the tileset approach to level design makes creating modules realy easy.

OS2 has great modding tools, much better ones than OS1 but you bareley see anyone actually use them. Modding games these days just is more of a hassle, creating new assets requires a level of skill that people who do this as a hobby quite frankly dont posess.
ive dabbled in 3D a bit myself, doing low poly indie tier stuff is easy, adding somehting to a game like OS2 which still isnt exactly Withcer 3... yeah forget about it.

The only modern games that get a lot of modding are stuff like Skyrim and Fallout.
the simpler the graphics and the more open the engine, the more modding you get. Thats why you still see tons of mods for NWN; Morrowind, mount and blade and so on. But bareley any for OS2.

Im not even trying to be a party pooper, i would love to see a return of peresistant worlds, as in my opinion they do RPG multiplayer the best, but i just dont see people doing it in modern games.

It all depends on the tools available...

Last edited by vometia; 28/01/20 02:37 AM. Reason: formatting
stranger
stranger
Slow down dude slow down. It is BG3 not NWN3 and I there is no reason to have toolset with this game. I expect great story, D&D 5e, nice visuals and great companions nothing more. Let them focus on those aspects so we will get high quality product. When time will come someone will make NWN3 and they will be obligated to provide single player campaign and a toolset. Btw who owns the rights for NWN brand BioWare (EA), Beamdog or Obsidian(Microsoft)?

stranger
stranger
No. After BG3 there should be BG4.
NWN was wooden and very ugly.

stranger
stranger

“Massively” multiplayer online games never inspired me, but persistent worlds and stand-alone adventures in NWN kept me hooked for years (I still occasionally visit NWN2 communities in-game).

Just an idea, but with NWN as an example, there was little incentive for the company to maintain the game infrastructure once the community played through the original story and a few follow-on modules.

What if beyond the gameplay/story being developed, BG3 would separately welcome community based mods and have a user friendly toolset for dungeon and even persistent world development? In order to access and use community based content (persistent worlds, standalone adventures, locations, items, spells, etc.) players would need to subscribe to a very small monthly fee, say $1 US? That way the company would have a steady flow of income without much expense, giving them an incentive to continue to support the platform, and the mod and player communities would have a place to build a BG or NWN style experience for others to enjoy?

I’d pay $1 month to access that online content.

stranger
stranger
At a minimum, player made content would rock, even if it was single player or multiplayer ( i think b3 would be multiplayer ? )

old hand
old hand
And when we get NWN3, what I really want is DDO2!

stranger
stranger
Oh boy... I created an account just to reply to this thread... LOL

Please don't take this the wrong way, but after seeing what Larian has done with Baldur's Gate... PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF AO, DO NOT LET THEM ANYWHERE NEAR NEVERWINTER NIGHTS 3

Originally Posted by Rifkin
Oh boy... I created an account just to reply to this thread... LOL

Please don't take this the wrong way, but after seeing what Larian has done with Baldur's Gate... PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF AO, DO NOT LET THEM ANYWHERE NEAR NEVERWINTER NIGHTS 3

+1

I could not agree more. That is not to say that I think that Baldur's Gate 3 will be terrible, but it is currently not headed in a direction that I approve of.

Last edited by vometia; 29/02/20 03:10 AM. Reason: formatting
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by mhroczyn
Slow down dude slow down. It is BG3 not NWN3 and I there is no reason to have toolset with this game.

Eh? Same reasons as DOS2, plus an extra in that it's D&D. Given the engine heritage it's almost certain they're using an evolution of the editor as it is.

S
veteran
veteran
S
Peresistant servers still would be the absolute best thing.
genuinly the thing id be most excited for, but multiplayer seems to be yet again limited to 4 players so its prolly not happening

S
stranger
stranger
S
Yeah, the max 4 player limit and no dedicated server thing, kind of makes me sad and longing for what could have been.

Dedicated servers, high player counts, persistent database plugins, these are all good things NWN had since roughly 2005 or so.
They largely contribute to why Neverwinter Nights 1 is still played actively in multiplayer today, almost 18 years past launch date.

Workshop mod support with Larian's editor and the above would bring a LOT of lasting value to BG3 but I fear it will not happen.
If someone knows a thread/site/poll/petition to make this visible to the dev team, do tell (as a post-launch feature is just fine also).

I will probably ONLY buy BG3 if the above is implemented, otherwise DOS2 will serve me just fine I think.

enthusiast
enthusiast
As much as I am looking forward to BG3 I would also like to see someone working on NWN3

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
S
veteran
veteran
S
yeah i think larian misjudget the medium.
People dont need something to play DnD with, that already exists in the form of real life and roll20.

Why would i substitute my real life campaign with one where i have infinitly more work to do beforehand, and then have less to do during the fact as a DM?

However, stuff like peresistant worlds are actually popular.

apprentice
apprentice
It is a traditional linear, story focused single player RPG with additional coop MP of the same experience tacked on. (and that is a good thing)

That whole "let me be your dungeon master" is just marketing talk.

The NWN concept of running your own campaigns in it was ultimately a failure. For that to work you basically need some highly paid 3D artist slaves in your cellar that create the assets that you need. Platforms like Roll20 and D&D Beyond and other tools for map generation and helpers basically enable what the original NWN promise was.

Last edited by CyberianK; 11/03/20 11:37 AM.
addict
addict
Agreed, running D&D through the NWN DM tool was not worth the hassle, but for the creation of persistent servers it was awesome.

S
veteran
veteran
S
i was referring to divinity original sin 2 and why its modding tools never have taken off while NWNs are still beeing used many years later

OS2 tried too hard to push the GM mode while not realizing that the strenght of the CRPG medium is the connectivity and the automatization.
Nobody wants to DM for 20 people who all are in different parts of the world.
but a PC can do that.

N
old hand
old hand
N
I am tired of this kind of posts. It's BG3, it's not NWN. It doesn't bring anything to the table, just some lamentations of players who want another game. It's like if you were going to CDPR's Cyberpunk forum and ask for a new Shadowrun game with toolset. Seriously, people. Can we focus on the actual game from Larian Studios here?

Last edited by Nyanko; 11/03/20 11:50 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Nyanko
I am tired of this kind of posts. It's BG3, it's not NWN. It doesn't bring anything to the table, just some lamentations of players who want another game. It's like if you were going to CDPR's Cyberpunk forum and ask for a new Shadowrun game with toolset. Seriously, people. Can we focus on the actual game from Larian Studios here?

Easy tiger--- it's relatively harmless in here.

It is also conceivable that Larian provides a DM tool for BG3, though still only a guess., so no harm in discussing the pros and cons and what NWN brought to the table in that regard.

S
veteran
veteran
S
whats this nonsense.
Larian already did DMtools once and they didnt get used.
Neverwinter Nights doesnt have the sole right to DM tools

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard