Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
Archaven #653670 06/07/19 05:05 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Archaven
If any good folks can help translate it?

You can use Google Chrome to open these pages and use the "Translate Page" utility.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
Archaven #653677 06/07/19 03:04 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by _Vic_
https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/baldurs-gate-3-erstes-gameplay-video-gamescom-kampfsystem,3345782.html

In the interview, Swen combat is not up for debate. Also said BG3 will only have 1 combat system but he didn't say which system. He also stated that it could be neither TB or RTWP.
Gameplay will not be shown at Gamescom either.

BG3 will have Early Access like DOS 1+2!

If any good folks can help translate it? Only one stem sounds bad
Thought they keep promoting different types of systems?

Early Access? Now that's something I don't really like. I remember DOS2 was it? It was really long in EA.

Not much help from me here, my german is even worse than my english...I took a partial translation from here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1082019/#Comment_1082019

'll paraphrase the article paragraph for paragraph. I will put my own comments into []
Lets start:

The first paragraph is just about the difficulty to get the pictures for the article.

The Quote talks about showing gameplay footage - at the E3 2020. They want to show something else for the GamesCon [Probably Divinty].

The journalist reacts to the quote by repeating that Larian will not show any "moving gameplay footage" and notes that it was expected to be the place of reveal noting that germany has a large number of fans of classical party rpgs.

The next paragraph mentions the large discussion of TB vs RT.

The last part by the journalist notes that Vincke is unwilling to give the battle system to a vote, even though Baldurs Gate will get some sort of early-access or betaphase before release. He also notes that Divinity got [apparently] a lot of praise for its battle system.

The closing quote:
"We will present it (in a video) and say: We will do it like that. We will not change it. No matter if the battles will be turn based or real time with pause or if we turn Baldurs Gate 3 into a racing game: There will always be people who disagree, for whatever reasons. Because of this it is important be able to show the battles (to say): This is how they look, this is how they feel [can't think of a better translation, sorry]. And then we will do that exactly like this."

So... racing game uh? When I asked for a new thievery system I did not mean Baldur´s thief auto.
Although a racing with Minsc riding boo, Sarevok driving a Iron throne and Charname in a "shiny one" Cespenar-car, all in a Super-Mario-style race would be funny. There was a racing minigame as a map for warcraft 3, funny thing.

Jokes aside, We will have to wait to know: The gamescom in Cologne is in 22-24 August. And hey said that the gameplay will not be show in there. They probably showcase "Divinity Heroes" there.
Larian have a "close doors" policy and they will never give much info before they show the entire gameplay.

Last edited by _Vic_; 06/07/19 03:34 PM.
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Maybe they will show some screenshots at GamesCon smile

A
addict
addict
A
E3 2020? ughh.. that's super long. perhaps they announce the game too early?

Archaven #653683 06/07/19 06:13 PM
old hand
old hand

That part might have been meant as a joke, because the article says "What a joker!" right after that.

Archaven #653719 07/07/19 08:25 AM
Support
Support
Cyberpunk 2077 was first announced in January 2013. evil

Raze #653726 07/07/19 10:49 AM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Raze
Cyberpunk 2077 was first announced in January 2013. evil

2077 is its projected release date, I think.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
The twitter of the official Cyberpunk 2077 asking Larian for a gameplay a week before the announcement was high comedy.

After Gamescom there are DICE Europe and EGX to show the gameplay.

apprentice
apprentice
Practically speaking, if the game is based on 5th edition it's going to incorporate rounds and taking turns somehow. I wonder if what Sven means by "neither" TB or RTwP is that it will not appear to be definitively one or the other. Or if he is just being glib in the same way as the reference to a racing game.

He's definitely right that regardless off what combat system they come up with, some players will be unhappy with it. There's no way to make everyone happy here.

Last edited by Lemernis; 07/07/19 11:46 AM.
A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Try2Handing

That part might have been meant as a joke, because the article says "What a joker!" right after that.

i don't mind if the game coming out at winter 2020 or q1 2021? if not mistaken the game starts during 2017? 2 years already paseed.
but honestly.. i really can't waint to e32 2020 for them to show something.. *sweat*

Lemernis #653737 07/07/19 01:52 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Lemernis
There's no way to make everyone happy here.

There never is: it seems that very many decisions that result in the worst outcome are made when trying to appease everyone.

J'aime le fromage.
vometia #653739 07/07/19 02:15 PM
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by Lemernis
There's no way to make everyone happy here.

There never is: it seems that very many decisions that result in the worst outcome are made when trying to appease everyone.

Yep. It reminds me of a film director making a superhero (DC) or sci-fi franchise (Star Wars) movie these days. Whatever type of approach is taken to the character or the mythos there's a contingent of very vocal fans that will feel aggrieved by that choice. Efforts by studios to step in and overhaul a film based on their projections about what will be most popular typically don't have good results, with the possible exception of Star Wars: Rogue One. But that's an outlier.

Last edited by Lemernis; 07/07/19 02:16 PM.
veteran
veteran
In this interview Swen is still very vague about details, but he also stood by his position about that they are going to do something innovative in combat, that you will have recognizable setting and classes/ races, the multiplayer and that the future is in cloud-only platforms like Google stadia. Just remember that right now there are no planned bg3 for consoles.

https://wccftech.com/larian-studios-interview-innovating-baldurs-gate-3/

Last edited by _Vic_; 07/07/19 05:50 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
I have been playing D:0S2 and I think their combat system is similar to the D&D combat system without being exactly like it. It will have to be tweak more to be fully in line with the D&D 5E combat.

How so? D&D combat rules are about initiative and rounds and spellcasting time and weapon speed and the like. Actions are initiated at your initiative but sometimes maybe completed only at a later point in the round or at the end of the round. Characters can even have the same initiative and thus act simultaneously. Actions can be carried over into a future round depending on time needed for that action to complete. And as such, actions are subject to interruption.

The D:OS system has none of these things. In DO:S everything a character does happens within their turn and are fully completed and resolved within their turn. Then that character is completely done, and it is the next character's turn. Things are very strictly compartmentalized and sequential in a 'per turn per character' structure. These are radically different systems loosely lumped in together as "turn based" systems.

D&D 5E
  • You take turns around the table.
  • Initiative: If same, the one with higher DEX goes first
  • Rounds: A round is after every one has their turn.
  • Spell Casting Time: Spell times are Actions and bonus actions. Times very for not combat spells.
  • Weapon Speed: There is not weapon speed in D&D 5E.

D:OS2
  • You take turns.higher DEX robably goes first
  • Initiative: Since the game handles initiative rolls. Higher dex
  • Round: Everyone has their turn.
  • Spell Casting Times: Are using the actions to cast
  • Weapon Speed: Appears to be no weapon speed

Some 5e spells are reactions

Sordak #653762 08/07/19 12:22 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sordak
Thats only if the reaction is automatic (such as attack of opportunity even tho in the TT version, you can actually choose to make one or not, as you only get one per turn and maybe dont wanna waste it)

That beeing said, reactions in 5E are vastly toned down from 4e (where they include things like shooting someone on their turn to decrease their chance of hitting an ally or literaly giving an ally an off-turn move to reposition themselves which obviously makes no sense in RTWP)

i personally dont think the action economy of move and standard actions "dont work" in RTWP, but movement works in a very different way.
Inspiration would be an odd thing in RTWP, but it would work since it only affects the next roll you make, rather than beeing a reroll mechanic (Such as edge in shadowrun).

You make good.points

veteran
veteran
The BG3 game will use Larian´s Divinity engine 4.0 (DoS EE was 3.5) and that you will have 5e classes and subclasses. The game will be longer than DoS2, approximately 100 hours.

https://fextralife.com/baldurs-gate-3-interview-with-larian-and-wizards-of-the-coast/

old hand
old hand
To think that I actually imagined the game would come out around early next year or something, when it was first announced... Based on what he said, that people will probably "wait a bit longer", and that they only announced it now because they want to talk with the community and understand what people are looking for, it's reasonable to assume that things are still at a fairly early stage.

I'm setting my expectation to "2 years from now". That would make it a 4-year development time, give or take. Which is not even bad, if this game really aims to be "the one RPG to rule them all". From now on I will be thinking of this game as Baldur's Gate 2077.

Last edited by Try2Handing; 08/07/19 06:12 PM.

S
veteran
veteran
S
they obviously just wanted to get it out. But Larian takes its time, tbh its a good thing.
Told you the combat system will be something new entierly.
Fingers crossed for western dragons dogma.

_Vic_ #653798 09/07/19 12:01 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by _Vic_
The BG3 game will use Larian´s Divinity engine 4.0 (DoS EE was 3.5) and that you will have 5e classes and subclasses. The game will be longer than DoS2, approximately 100 hours.

https://fextralife.com/baldurs-gate-3-interview-with-larian-and-wizards-of-the-coast/

Wasn't Divinty Original Sin 2 over 100 hours?

Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard