Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17
_Vic_ #660935 03/03/20 06:33 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by _Vic_
Personally I find the plot refreshing, I mean, your are not a chosen one that has to save the world against an evil that was sealed a thousand years ago, you are just an average joe that got infected with a parasite and wants to survive.

It's pretty much souleater from MotB. The "average Joe" part I do like.

S
veteran
veteran
S
admitedly the souleater bit was pretty cool in MOTB

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by kanisatha

It's pretty much souleater from MotB..

Ah, so it wasn't just me then. smile

old hand
old hand
New story details are in the article from the latest Dragon+ magazine:

https://dnd.dragonmag.com/2020/03/02/in-the-works-baldurs-gate-iii/content.html

“The more you use your tadpole by selecting it from the options within dialogue, the stronger the influence of your tadpole becomes. But the more you use it, the quicker you unlock your powers,” says Larian Senior Designer Edouard Imbert.

“It’s that duality we’re introducing. It’s comparable to Bhaalspawn, which is a nice link to Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II. We want players to be wary this thing is still inside them, and the fact that they can turn into a mind flayer is still there,” warns Smith.

To add to the chaos, a new cult known as the Absolute is on the rise. It quickly becomes clear that certain enemies you encounter within this faction also have tadpole powers, making them more interesting (and more dangerous!) opponents. Don’t be surprised when that priestess you’re facing off against suddenly uses telekinesis to drop one of the temple’s statues on you.

The question every fan of the Baldur’s Gate series will be asking themselves is: will we see a few familiar faces from past games? “Fans of Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II are going to look at our game and have certain expectations. Some of those expectations we’re going to completely shatter. We’re set 100 years after Baldur’s Gate II and we are taking everything in the Forgotten Realms D&D books as canon,” Smith says, the earlier playtest confirming that Volo is in the game. “We don’t want to take away the expectation that they might meet this or that character again. But we’re not going to change timelines or do anything crazy to introduce anyone, we’re using the lore very respectfully.”

The problem here though is that this strongly incetivizes everyone to play evil and never good. If you play good, which means NOT using your tadpole at all because using your tadpole means moving closer to becoming a mindflayer, you get screwed out of awesome powers and even some beneficial dialogue options but with no alternative benefits whatsoever. And since I will NEVER ever play evil in any game, I am permanently screwed.

Over using the Tadpole has a major price, like it makes you more vulnerible to Mindflayers. Plus using the Tadpole is not in of itself an evil act, only a dangerous one.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
New story details are in the article from the latest Dragon+ magazine:

https://dnd.dragonmag.com/2020/03/02/in-the-works-baldurs-gate-iii/content.html

“The more you use your tadpole by selecting it from the options within dialogue, the stronger the influence of your tadpole becomes. But the more you use it, the quicker you unlock your powers,” says Larian Senior Designer Edouard Imbert.

“It’s that duality we’re introducing. It’s comparable to Bhaalspawn, which is a nice link to Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II. We want players to be wary this thing is still inside them, and the fact that they can turn into a mind flayer is still there,” warns Smith.

To add to the chaos, a new cult known as the Absolute is on the rise. It quickly becomes clear that certain enemies you encounter within this faction also have tadpole powers, making them more interesting (and more dangerous!) opponents. Don’t be surprised when that priestess you’re facing off against suddenly uses telekinesis to drop one of the temple’s statues on you.

The question every fan of the Baldur’s Gate series will be asking themselves is: will we see a few familiar faces from past games? “Fans of Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II are going to look at our game and have certain expectations. Some of those expectations we’re going to completely shatter. We’re set 100 years after Baldur’s Gate II and we are taking everything in the Forgotten Realms D&D books as canon,” Smith says, the earlier playtest confirming that Volo is in the game. “We don’t want to take away the expectation that they might meet this or that character again. But we’re not going to change timelines or do anything crazy to introduce anyone, we’re using the lore very respectfully.”

The problem here though is that this strongly incetivizes everyone to play evil and never good. If you play good, which means NOT using your tadpole at all because using your tadpole means moving closer to becoming a mindflayer, you get screwed out of awesome powers and even some beneficial dialogue options but with no alternative benefits whatsoever. And since I will NEVER ever play evil in any game, I am permanently screwed.

Over using the Tadpole has a major price, like it makes you more vulnerible to Mindflayers. Plus using the Tadpole is not in of itself an evil act, only a dangerous one.

You're still missing my point. Any use of the tadpole moves you closer to changing into a mindflayer. I don't want to become a mindflayer. So I won't ever use the tadpole. But I don't receive any reward for having not used the tadpole. This is the issue. The rewards are one-sided. If you are fine being evil (i.e. becoming a mindflayer) you are heavily rewarded. If you are good (and avoid becoming a mindflayer), no reward of any kind for you.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
It could be that your reward comes at the end of the game when you have defeated the mind flayer tadpole in your head.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
It could be that your reward comes at the end of the game when you have defeated the mind flayer tadpole in your head.

Maybe.
But in that interview the dev was going on and on about all the cool rewards you got from using your tadpole. You would think he'd also mention what you got from not using the tadpole ... unless there are no such rewards. That's why it stuck out in my mind when I read that interview.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
If my scenario is valid, it most likely is that he could not do so because it would ruin the story if it is tied to the end of the story.

veteran
veteran
If my scenario is valid, it most likely is that he could not do so because it would ruin the story if it is tied to the end of the story.

He could've just simply said: "And by the way, you also get some nice rewards for not using your tadpole." That's all I would've wanted to hear.

veteran
veteran

Yay a reward when the game is over.

enthusiast
enthusiast

I think not being destroid by the ceremorphosis process is kind of a reward xD (There will probably a sweet spot where you can get stronger via tadpole but not get turned,what I wonder is if you're going to end the game with the tadpole inside you or you'll removet it at some point,and if you do,why do you retain the tadpole powers?)

And yeah usually on bad playthroughs you get more money and stuff,that's the way it goes. And then you have some exclusive harder quests for the good ones with strong gear or something so you get good things no matter your alignment.

Adgaroth #661372 04/03/20 09:29 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Adgaroth

And yeah usually on bad playthroughs you get more money and stuff,that's the way it goes. And then you have some exclusive harder quests for the good ones with strong gear or something so you get good things no matter your alignment.

And my point is that a well-made RPG should not have it be this way.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
PCGamesN
Baldur’s Gate 3 races: all playable races in BG3

https://www.pcgamesn.com/baldurs-gate-3/races

enthusiast
enthusiast
You have many questions, and we have answers. We’ll be hosting a Reddit AMA where you can ask Swen (Creative Director), David (Producer), Adam (Senior Writer), Nick (Lead Systems Designer), and Jiji (Writing Director) your questions. 11:00 PT on March 12, over on Reddit!

Source: Larian Gazette ''Gathering the Party - Community Update #2''

journeyman
journeyman

Maybe.
But in that interview the dev was going on and on about all the cool rewards you got from using your tadpole. You would think he'd also mention what you got from not using the tadpole ... unless there are no such rewards. That's why it stuck out in my mind when I read that interview.

It's the classic question of, do you bend your morality (use the tadpole) in order for quick/easy power? Or do you uphold your morality (not use the tadpole) and deal with the consequence of not having the quick/easy power?

Without the tadpole you will have to find another path to power, and I think that's fine. I can be a Fiend Pact Warlock and have access to quick/easy power by throwing my lot in with a Devil. Or I can put in the hard work and study it takes to be a Wizard. One path gets you to power faster, but the other lets you retain your morality and sense of self.

Adgaroth #661661 05/03/20 06:07 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Adgaroth
You have many questions, and we have answers. We’ll be hosting a Reddit AMA where you can ask Swen (Creative Director), David (Producer), Adam (Senior Writer), Nick (Lead Systems Designer), and Jiji (Writing Director) your questions. 11:00 PT on March 12, over on Reddit!

Source: Larian Gazette ''Gathering the Party - Community Update #2''

They didn't say where tho.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
veteran
veteran
Just to clarify, the Larian Mind Flayers didn't speed up ceremorphosis, according to this source: https://venturebeat.com/2019/07/30/...ark-horrible-secrets-of-the-mind-flayer/

addict
addict

Gmazca #661850 06/03/20 03:33 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gmazca

Maybe.

It's the classic question of, do you bend your morality (use the tadpole) in order for quick/easy power? Or do you uphold your morality (not use the tadpole) and deal with the consequence of not having the quick/easy power?

Without the tadpole you will have to find another path to power, and I think that's fine. I can be a Fiend Pact Warlock and have access to quick/easy power by throwing my lot in with a Devil. Or I can put in the hard work and study it takes to be a Wizard. One path gets you to power faster, but the other lets you retain your morality and sense of self.

Where's the "other path"? I see only one path, and that's my problem. And don't tell me not using the tadpole is the other path. It's not, because using the tadpole and not using the tadpole are not equivalent options.

Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard