Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I haven’t played before and would like to know if I can bypass the built in dice roller and use real life dice and just put in the number manually. If not, can this be done in the gm mode or even as a mod?

Support
Support

This is not a feature in the main campaign. In GM mode the GM can use a real dice roll rather than the in-game UI for rolling dice.
I don't know if this could be done as a mod; I'm not sure there are any random numbers used where it would make sense to replace that with dice rolls and wouldn't become tedious doing so.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Ok thanks. I have a nice collection of dice and was hoping to use them in a digital setting. Maybe Baldurs Gate 3 will have this feature.

veteran
veteran
You mean a feature where you roll a physical die on your desk and then get to manually enter that result into the computer as your result? As in "Yes, computer, I did roll five 20's in a row"?

No, I'm quite certain that there won't be any such "feature".

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Stabbey
You mean a feature where you roll a physical die on your desk and then get to manually enter that result into the computer as your result? As in "Yes, computer, I did roll five 20's in a row"?

No, I'm quite certain that there won't be any such "feature".

Well it's definitely a neat feature for those who enjoy the idea of incorporating a real dice set into their gameplay. Getting to actually roll dice adds quite a bit to the experience, I imagine.

If someone really feels the need to cheat that way, well, they do them, right? What do we care?

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Try2Handing
Well it's definitely a neat feature for those who enjoy the idea of incorporating a real dice set into their gameplay. Getting to actually roll dice adds quite a bit to the experience, I imagine.

If someone really feels the need to cheat that way, well, they do them, right? What do we care?

I'm not sure such a "feature" would be in much demand. I mean, one of the benefits of computers is that they are designed for things like virtual dice rolling.

What do we care? The right question is "does Larian care", and since they specifically have DOS 2 configured so that mods disable achievements, it seems likely that they care at least a little.

old hand
old hand
IMO the reason behind mods disabling achievements is to preserve the "value" of achievements. The idea is that, the developers come up with the achievements based on the game that they make, so to achieve them you have to play by the developers' rules, using what they give you.

In this case, this dice rolling thing is for GM mode, right? And this mode is meant to be played by a group of players playing the game together. I don't see why someone would wish to cheat in this manner, when playing with their friends at the same table. Now if they play over the internet, each person at their own home, then I suppose one *could* cheat like this if they wish (e.g. I tell you that I just rolled a 20 and you'll just have to take my word for it and punch in that 20 for me). But I still don't think that's the developers' problem. If this is an optional feature that can be turned on and off, players can decide not to use it if cheating is a real concern. If there are achievements for GM mode, the developers can impose the same rule "achievements are disabled if you choose to use real dice", or something like that.

So the question is whether the developers think it's worth the trouble to add this feature as an option, simply so that people can use it if they wish. Beyond that, if people exploit it in some way when playing with their friends, that's their problem. It's not our place to police how people play their game. They can police their own game.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Try2Handing
IMO the reason behind mods disabling achievements is to preserve the "value" of achievements. The idea is that, the developers come up with the achievements based on the game that they make, so to achieve them you have to play by the developers' rules, using what they give you.

Right, my point exactly.

In this case, this dice rolling thing is for GM mode, right?

I think he was asking for it to be an option for regular play. "can [I] bypass the built in dice roller and use real life dice and just put in the number manually. If not, can this be done in the gm mode"

In other words he asked "if you can not (do it in the normal campaign), can this be done in the GM mode".

old hand
old hand
Oh, ok. So OP thought that there would be dice rolling in the main campaign similar to what's in GM mode? There isn't though. Which is what Raze already stated. Let's forget I said anything then.

It does feel kinda weird, rolling real dice, when you're playing solo. They can probably impose a "using real dice disables achievement" rule, but that does sound like too much trouble just for that.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I'm an old school pen and paper fan and was looking for a digital game where I could still use real life dice (even for character sheets and encounters).

I have a fascination with RNG, statistics, and even quantum mechanics (Hugh Everetts Many-worlds Interpretation is a favorite). It's a bit thrilling to think I'm splitting the universe every time I roll a d20.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard