#659083 26/02/20 04:21 PM
K
Kizzdon Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Topic.

I'm all for die rolls that are visibly seen within the game and not just in the background.

Personally, I'd love to see a system built around the idea of the players being forced to manually click on a button somewhere on the UI that would roll the intended die for any given situation.

I have a basic outline of how it could work in my head, especially if they decided to stroll away from the RTWP aspect and made it TB, but I probably wouldn't be able to form my ideas into word.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Kizzdon; 26/02/20 04:40 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
This is a video game the dice rolls should be hidden.

K
Kizzdon Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Originally Posted by Hawke
This is a video game the dice rolls should be hidden.

Not so sure I'd automatically jump to that conclusion, I'd play around with it. I think, if done right, the actual die rolls could be very satisfying.

I think it could give the same feelings along the lines of .....let's say....the clicking sound you feel/hear when you press a button that isn't squishy ( those old, stupid tv remote buttons were the worst xD )

Last edited by Kizzdon; 26/02/20 05:03 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
I wouldn't be against seeing dice rolls.

But I would strongly oppose manually clicking for rolls. That would just be tedious, and for me personally wouldn't add anything positive to the experience. The rolls happening in a videogame rpg is so much more frequent compared to a tabletop session since you control multiple characters and more so since a videogame moves way faster than a tabletop session.

K
Kizzdon Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Originally Posted by Waeress
I wouldn't be against seeing dice rolls.

But I would strongly oppose manually clicking for rolls. That would just be tedious, and for me personally wouldn't add anything positive to the experience. The rolls happening in a videogame rpg is so much more frequent compared to a tabletop session since you control multiple characters and more so since a videogame moves way faster than a tabletop session.

I see your points.

I'm curious at the pacing Larian is going for. I'm expecting it to be slower than Divinity. I hope it is at least, I personally would like a little more manual operation. I'd like more detail into the stats I am using when I'm trying to be successful at something.

If they are going to implement RPG systems that have never been in a video game before I just wonder what they could be.

Last edited by Kizzdon; 26/02/20 05:17 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
No.
Seriously why?
Whats the point?
In tabletop simulator maybe.

But even games like Bloodbowl roll the dice automatically aand let you pick the result.

A gimmick like rolling dice is fun... like five times.
I play DnD for a hobby and i can tell you the actual dicerolling bit isnt the fun part, having a PC take care of that for me is quite nice.
Having the PC obfuscate it and make me forget im playing pretend with my friends is even better.

That beeing said.
I am sometimes a sucker for clunky, nonsensical mechanics that feel nice.
I love ATB bars somehow, i sometimes like cunky JRPG UIs and visible movement tiles.

But manual dicerolling is soemthing for a tabletop simulator like game, certainly not a project like BG3 which breaches into tripple A territory.

Dungeons and Dragons online has a visible dice roll, I like it. you can choose the color of your dice as well.

The dice roll just happens as you attack or make a save. Its not something that needs to be clicked. I would love to see something like this added.

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. Legion of Doom - Dungeons and Dragons online - server Orion -
Doom ~ Khazadoom ~ Nexus
+1 for the idea

Link Copied to Clipboard