Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Robymyz Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Thrall

100% this, RTwP simply sucks!

From what i'm seeing via youtube chat stream ,comments and forum posts and also twitter , there's like 65% of people who want it to be real time and about 35% who want it turn based , people who want it real time are 95% people who played the BG/Icewind Dale series , and 95% of the people who want it turn based are people who played the Original Sin games and liked them , not Baldur's gate , all i say is for the devs to find a way to satisfy both , and having a real time option added to the game would fix thing , it's not making it a broken hybrid like some above comments mention , it will obviously be played different , but it's better than splitting the fan base and disappointing more people by making it turn based , compared to real time , or vice versa.

Last edited by Robymyz; 28/02/20 04:40 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Robymyz
It just doesn't work for me man...it doesn't feel right to go afk for 1-2 minutes everytime your enemies turn starts, in OS2 the scarecrow battle took me 15-20 minutes , like that's just garbage...there's enough dialogue ,reading and lore and books to read and things to do and experiment...the last damn thing i need is more time spent on boring combat mechanics.

It is called "Side Initiative". It is a variant of the initiative on page 270 of the DMG.

Robymyz Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
It just doesn't work for me man...it doesn't feel right to go afk for 1-2 minutes everytime your enemies turn starts, in OS2 the scarecrow battle took me 15-20 minutes , like that's just garbage...there's enough dialogue ,reading and lore and books to read and things to do and experiment...the last damn thing i need is more time spent on boring combat mechanics.

It is called "Side Initiative". It is a variant of the initiative on page 270 of the DMG.

I have edited my comment since i have written while a bit frustrated and it did not explain properly what i wanted to say and i apologize for that.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special

I have edited my comment since i have written while a bit frustrated and it did not explain properly what I wanted to say and i apologize for that.

I am sorry, I somehow quoted the wrong post. It was this one I should have quoted and the Side Initiative was to answer the blue question..

Originally Posted by Jerrytown
I believe RT-combat is a mistake because this is D&D not Diablo. Although I do disagree with the way the turn based combat is executed. Why is it your team vs enemy team as a whole. Why is it not individual-based like in actual D&D? Who made that decision? Was it a single person? A group of people? Have they ever played D&D?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Emulate
I stopped watching the demo when I lerend the fog of war was still broken... you can actually see through walls and over doors... not worth my time.

combat looked totally fine lack of fog of war though makes the game a joke.

Please stop bringing up this subject in so many threads. You have already started multiple topics about this subject, you have made your point.

J'aime le fromage.
stranger
stranger
I just saw the first few minutes of the gameplay video (missed the live event, because I was playing Starbound with friends) and I'm so disappointed.

As the game is now, it will end up being a fiasco like "Sword Coast Legends", we all know how dissapointing that shitshow was, because of how they tackled the DnD 5e ruleset.
While BG3 looks amazing, it does the exact same thing. At the moment it looks like a Divine Divinity Clone set in a Faerûn, I (and I think most other people who care about the BG-Legacy) DO NOT want this.

What we want is:
- A "True" DnD 5e Experience
- Real-Time combat with Pause Function
- ALL the spells (and I do mean ALL spells)
- Preparing Spells for spell-casters
- Spell Slots that go away making you a useless wizard if you're not carefull.
- Correct Character Stats
- a BORING fighter with zero to no buttons to press

I really hope that someone from Larian reads this post and stops the train in the direction it is moving. While you guys do an amazing job storytelling, it's time to tell WotC that fans don't want a simpleton-RPG, we want our good ol' friend BG back.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Danielbda

P.S. "implementing both combat systems" is a terrible idea that could easily turn out to be a half-assed hybrid and the worst of both worlds.

POE2 turned out fine. TB just takes too long because of the size of mobs. But in DOS and probably in BG3 there are less enemies.

PoE2 is a perfect example of why a second combat system added as an afterthought works poorly,

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Bhodar
I just saw the first few minutes of the gameplay video (missed the live event, because I was playing Starbound with friends) and I'm so disappointed.

As the game is now, it will end up being a fiasco like "Sword Coast Legends", we all know how dissapointing that shitshow was, because of how they tackled the DnD 5e ruleset.
While BG3 looks amazing, it does the exact same thing. At the moment it looks like a Divine Divinity Clone set in a Faerûn, I (and I think most other people who care about the BG-Legacy) DO NOT want this.

What we want is:

I really hope that someone from Larian reads this post and stops the train in the direction it is moving. While you guys do an amazing job storytelling, it's time to tell WotC that fans don't want a simpleton-RPG, we want our good ol' friend BG back.

"I want a true D&D 5th Edition experience!".

*Proceeds to list a series of arbitrary changes that are not part of a true D&D 5th Edition experience*

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
stranger
stranger
you forgot the "" around true

and that list is correct for me, for the "real thing" I'll just do tabletop instead wink

enthusiast
enthusiast
Spell slots are in the game!

S
veteran
veteran
S
Get dabbed on RTWBabies

No the game isnt gonna bomb.
Seriously butthrut Boomers arent a big enaugh demographic.

That beeing said, im surprised by how much like OS2 it looks. Obviously lots of thigns are placeholder that literaly use OS2 assets, btu the world design looks very simmilar, which i guess can be boiled down to "Larians artstyle".
but yeah, i guess right now the coolest thing swere "throwing stuff" and "climbing".
Certainly an uphill battle to get me be hyper excited, the expensive CGI certainly made me expect more of a tripple A foray rather than a direct evolution of the previous games.

But eh, still looks good

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sordak
Get dabbed on RTWBabies

No the game isnt gonna bomb.
Seriously butthrut Boomers arent a big enaugh demographic.

That beeing said, im surprised by how much like OS2 it looks. Obviously lots of thigns are placeholder that literaly use OS2 assets, btu the world design looks very simmilar, which i guess can be boiled down to "Larians artstyle".
but yeah, i guess right now the coolest thing swere "throwing stuff" and "climbing".
Certainly an uphill battle to get me be hyper excited, the expensive CGI certainly made me expect more of a tripple A foray rather than a direct evolution of the previous games.

But eh, still looks good

Not a boomer and also wanted RtwP - despite clearly knowing it wouldn't happen.

addict
addict

Not a boomer and also wanted RtwP - despite clearly knowing it wouldn't happen.

I think Larian actually looks for feedback, so they might give you an option do play RTwP like in POE2. What I expect though is that they make the game exactly as the tabletop if it is going to be TB, and there seemed to be a lot of suff missing.
I noticed that humans didn't have an extra feat for example, instead they got +1 to all ability scores. The point buy also didn't please me, you should have the option to roll stats like in the tabletop and the older games.

Last edited by Danielbda; 28/02/20 02:10 PM.
stranger
stranger
Hi modders out there, can you start working on a RTWP with fog of war mod? I guess we should start modding right away.

Robymyz Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
At the present time , the game is looking to be more of lovechild between Dragon age and Original Sin (especially the camp where you interact with everyone and the camera style used during conversations), while ONLY using the Forgotten Realms world , and the 5th edition DnD rules , which i guarantee only 5% of the fanbase know how it works , and most won't even care as long as the game feels right...I'm pretty certain all this criticism and hate came from using the BG IP but nothing else from the older games , which is understandably disappointing , not saying that games aren't evolving and they shouldn't experiment , but using almost nothing from the old IP and stamping the title as Baldur's gate 3 is indeed kind of a cash grab while using the fan's nostalgia and love for the series as bait.

stranger
stranger
Would probably be a good game considering a different name indeed.

journeyman
journeyman
Solasta crown of the magister is faithful. Demo was crazy fun and well received

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Bhodar

What we want is:

#1: You want a "true DnD 5e experience" but advocate for a RTwP system. BG2 is my favorite game of all time, but it's combat doesn't work like DnD (it got close with having rounds/turns behind the scenes). In 5e, you get an action, bonus action, and movement during your turn. How does that work in a RTwP scenario? Either you want the experience more true to the table top, or a RTwP system...I am of the opinion they are mutually exclusive.

#2: You want "ALL the spells." They showed off a pre-alpha build, so no doubt there will be more spells...but there are some that just can't work in a video game. How does the Dream spell work in-game? What about Clone, Augury, Scrying, Geas, Glyphs and Wards? The list goes on. I have no doubt they will have as many as possible, but not even BG2 had all of the spells and some were modified to work in-game.

#3: Preparing Spells will no-doubt be a thing. Again, this is pre-alpha, but it stands to reason you should be able to prepare spells in camp (for those classes that can).

#4: There will be "Spell Slots that go away." An audience member asked "do spell slots come back after a long rest?" and the answer was "yes." The descriptions for cantrips says there are spells that don't need slots to cast...that literally tells you that spellcasters have finite spell slots.

#5: Not sure what you mean by "correct character stats." It seems to me that Larian implemented the point-buy system for stats at character creation. This is the most balanced form of character stat placement in 5e.

As for my own opinion, I don't think we should be able to see enemy HP, and Fog of War needs to be implemented. Other than that, I'm impressed by how close they are getting to the feel of DnD 5e.

Last edited by Gmazca; 28/02/20 05:04 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
Yeah id also have prefered RTWP with TB toggle, obviously im gonna prefer having both options.

i already said i dont love all of it.
But the loud Boomers go on my nerves, by which i mean people stuck in the past.

So many of the arguments beeing made are just pure nonsense based on no evidence just to fuel that hateboner

T
T
So this is a divisive issue.

Every since the resurgance of cRPGs the "turn-based vs RTwP" debate has been going on. A good compromize would ofcourse be to have both but that means alot more hours of development at the cost of (probably) the overall quality of the game. What Pillars2 did was they implemented turn-based after the release. For PF: Kingmaker there is a mod (and for the upcoming PF it will be an option but the game will be balanced for RTwP).

I'm sorry that its a dealbreaker for so many people though.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard