Next Thread
Print Thread
B
blurpo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
I read there will be companions with backstories and possibly quests. I would like to experience those in my game but I hate pre-made characters, specifically when I pick them after a few levels. Nothing irks me more than getting a new warrior companion and see his/her picks of feats not what I would like. In DOS 2 we could respec at will after the first chapter. How will BG3 handle it? I don't want easy respecs in BG3, but perhaps if we could build new companions from scratch when they join the party (like, say they should be level 6, so let us build those 6 levels up from scratch). Do we have any info on that?

That would be amusing. Custom made companions.

journeyman
journeyman
I want to say there was a quote regarding re-specing your companions at camp. Perhaps it will be like DOS 2, like you mentioned.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Respecing companions could prove problematic depending on how ingrained their story is dependant upon them being a certain class, race, backstory, ideal, bond and flaw are.

S
veteran
veteran
S
seems like at least one of the companions is a warlock for story reasons, his pact too beeing determined.

also i cant imagine the githyanki not beeing a gish..

T
T
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
Respecing companions could prove problematic depending on how ingrained their story is dependant upon them being a certain class, race, backstory, ideal, bond and flaw are.

Personally, I like my NPCs to be one-dimensional and plenty. Rather than having like 8 NPCs with complete backstories and quests. A system like that usually leads to you bringing the exact same characters with you, because how many of those 8 are healers? Probably 2, so you have the "good" healer or the "evil" healer in your party, every playthrough.

The OG Baldurs Gate wasnt without its flaws though, mainly that you encounter alot of NPCs too late in the game. And also some of them were just horribly bad. But you wanted Tiax in your party because of his personality, not his skills. And to be honest, if Tiax had a dramatic backstory full with conflicts and things that needed to be resolved (by you) he wouldnt be as compelling. I just know he's a megalomaniac. Just as I know Edwin is a narcissist who (thinks he) uses me as a pawn.

Ideally, have fleshed out 3D characters and ALSO plenty. You meet them all in the 1st act of the game (with a couple of exceptions). But I dont think thats realistic.

veteran
veteran
In DoS games you can pick any skill, there are no pure "classes" like in D&D and the devs promised that the companions will be fleshed out, in character, dialogue and backstory, so I do not think that respec a companion is on the table right now, for good reasons.

Originally Posted by Sordak
seems like at least one of the companions is a warlock for story reasons, his pact too beeing determined.

also i cant imagine the githyanki not beeing a gish..

Do you mean Gale?

[Linked Image]

I think he was referred to as a wizard, not a warlock.

S
veteran
veteran
S
No the "monster hunter" one.
Sven showed him briefly, Wyll aperently, looked a bit forgettable visually compared to the others

After playing Wasteland 2 and being able to make custom companions, I'd wished that DoS had this option with the depth of their origin characters. It sounds like our custom PC will have an "Origin" character level of depth, but I sincerely hope we can make custom characters with similar depth.

veteran
veteran
Confirmed. Gale is a Wizard-

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard