Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 61 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 60 61
S
veteran
veteran
S
But you dont get to make that call so it doesnt matter.

There was the same fan-concerns about Gothic IV, when Piranha Bytes lost their rights for the series, and they went to JoWooD. But in the end, Arcania: Gothic 4 turn out to be great, maybe even the best game in the whole Gothic series. Or, for example, similar situation with Vampire: The Masquerade series, when Paradox Interactive bought iintellectual rights for the game after they purchased White Wolf company. Although Paradox hired for Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 many people from the Troika Games, creators of original game, in any way fans looking forward for the game release.

Maybe Larian and Swen Vincke will hire producer of original Baldur's Gate game - Ray Muzyka, at least in the role of consultant. Which would make most of the game series fans happy.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Soccer
There was the same fan-concerns about Gothic IV, when Piranha Bytes lost their rights for the series, and they went to JoWooD. But in the end, Arcania: Gothic 4 turn out to be great, maybe even the best game in the whole Gothic series. Or, for example, similar situation with Vampire: The Masquerade series, when Paradox Interactive bought iintellectual rights for the game after they purchased White Wolf company. Although Paradox hired for Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 many people from the Troika Games, creators of original game, in any way fans looking forward for the game release.

Maybe Larian and Swen Vincke will hire producer of original Baldur's Gate game - Ray Muzyka, at least in the role of consultant. Which would make most of the game series fans happy.

Larian still has a chance to turn things around - just changing certain visuals, setting a darker tone, darker colors, and making the game look a bit more serious/gothic/medieval/dirty...it could be improved a lot.

All the sunny beaches/cute rabbits and crazy jumping/gimmick stuff needs to be replaced with something more adult, realistic - then this game might have a chance.

I'm also quite worried that Larian will not be able to execute the story in focused way.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kyrthorsen

Larian still has a chance to turn things around - just changing certain visuals, setting a darker tone, darker colors, and making the game look a bit more serious/gothic/medieval/dirty...it could be improved a lot.

All the sunny beaches/cute rabbits and crazy jumping/gimmick stuff needs to be replaced with something more adult, realistic - then this game might have a chance.

I'm also quite worried that Larian will not be able to execute the story in focused way.

What's unrealistic about rabbits FFS

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem

Nothing wrong with rabbits, just saying BG is not a game that you play to enjoy cute rabbits.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem

Nothing wrong with rabbits, just saying BG is not a game that you play to enjoy cute rabbits.

Are there no cute moments at all in BG FFS

journeyman
journeyman
Miniature giant space hamsters? Yes. Cute rabbits? No.

I find it odd that people are disregarding a lot of the funny moments in the original BG games. Remember when you got the Nether Scroll for Edwin, and he accidentally changed his gender? The party took to calling him Edwina...yeah, everything in BG is super serious...

Not only that, we have only seen 1-2 hours of gameplay and haven't even been to a major city yet. I'm sure we will be exploring the seedy underbelly of Baldur's Gate itself (not to mention graveyards, crypts, etc.).

And just because Baldur's Gate 3 can stand on its own doesn't mean it won't have the story elements to tie in this game with the previous two. The Cult of the Dead Three is an easy way to connect the events of the Bhaal Spawn to the current game. BG2 had Mind Flayers beneath Athkatla trying to organize, and you find a letter stating:

"The base is established, and the infiltration continues. The Hidden gathers followers, and soon we shall dominate the minds of the entire..."

It is quite possible Larian is using The Hidden as a jumping off point. We won't know until more of the story is released.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

No, I honestly do not remember many cute moments in BG.

It was a dark, gritty, at times even surreal game setting and experience.

Just remember going to the Underdark in BG2 SoA, fighting Drow and Mind Flayers, fighting vampires etc.

Those settings and art style was brutally dark and horroresque.

So its not all about Larian now using the DOS template for BG3, it is CHANGING THE ENTIRE FEEL AND TONE OF THE ORIGINAL GAMES.

That is what bothers me most is that Larian is still using their goofy cartoony looking style of creating the setting.

Probably the dialouge will be goofy as well. THERE WAS NOTHING CUTE ABOUT BG1 AND BG2, why are you people insisting that BG was cute and funny?

Last edited by kyrthorsen; 02/03/20 10:10 PM.
journeyman
journeyman

Just remember going to the Underdark in BG2 SoA, fighting Drow and Mind Flayers, fighting vampires etc.

So its not all about Larian now using the DOS template for BG3, it is CHANGING THE ENTIRE FEEL AND TONE OF THE ORIGINAL GAMES.

That is what bothers me most is that Larian is still using their goofy cartoony looking style of creating the setting.

Probably the dialouge will be goofy as well. THERE WAS NOTHING CUTE ABOUT BG1 AND BG2, why are you people insisting that BG was cute and funny?

We are not saying BG1/2 were cute and funny. We are saying there were cute/funny moments. You know, moments of levity. The original games, overall, had a serious tone, but that is not to say they didn't have their own sense of humor now and again.

And it's baffling to me that you've seen an hour and a half of level 1 gameplay and automatically write of the story and setting as goofy/cartoony. The opening cinematic alone is gruesome. Not to mention we know Demons and Vampires are in this game along with the Mind Flayers.

I'm fairly certain that Faerun is home to dark castles, dingy cities, and hellish crypts while at the same time having glorious cities, enchanting ruins, and sunny beaches. Here's hoping we see a vast variety of environments with their own tones and personality (the whimsical Fey Wild, the dark Shadowfell, or the hellish Avernus).

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Gmazca

We are not saying BG1/2 were cute and funny. We are saying there were cute/funny moments. You know, moments of levity. The original games, overall, had a serious tone, but that is not to say they didn't have their own sense of humor now and again.

And it's baffling to me that you've seen an hour and a half of level 1 gameplay and automatically write of the story and setting as goofy/cartoony. The opening cinematic alone is gruesome. Not to mention we know Demons and Vampires are in this game along with the Mind Flayers.

I'm fairly certain that Faerun is home to dark castles, dingy cities, and hellish crypts while at the same time having glorious cities, enchanting ruins, and sunny beaches. Here's hoping we see a vast variety of environments with their own tones and personality (the whimsical Fey Wild, the dark Shadowfell, or the hellish Avernus).

Sorry to dissapoint you or burst your bubble right now.

Did you watch the demo?

Did you by any chance see PINK BRAINS WITH FEET that were supposed to be enemies?

Did you by any chance see how other monsters look - like kids cartoon stuff.

So yea, seeing that demo was more then enough for me to understand what is happening.

Seen it happen before with Diablo 3 - huge failure, now they are going back to the "original" Diablo "dark" tones. LOL

journeyman
journeyman
Pink Brains with feet? You mean Intellect Devourers? The Mind Flayer pets that are a staple of D&D? I don't know any campaigns that feature Mind Flayers without Intellect Devourers at their sides. And yes, their design in BG3 is accurate.

[img]https://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/MM_IntellectDevourer.pdf[/img]

The original games had plenty of sunny areas and weren't doom and gloom environments all the time. All I'm saying is, the demo for BG3 showed variety (sunny beach, dark dungeon, scary crypt). If that's not enough for you, I don't know what to say.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Gmazca
Pink Brains with feet? You mean Intellect Devourers? The Mind Flayer pets that are a staple of D&D? I don't know any campaigns that feature Mind Flayers without Intellect Devourers at their sides. And yes, their design in BG3 is accurate.

[img]https://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/MM_IntellectDevourer.pdf[/img]

The original games had plenty of sunny areas and weren't doom and gloom environments all the time. All I'm saying is, the demo for BG3 showed variety (sunny beach, dark dungeon, scary crypt). If that's not enough for you, I don't know what to say.

Please just check how the int. devourer looks in the pdf that you posted and then go and watch the BG3 gameplay again.

In the demo they look like PINK BRAINS WITH SMALL FEET, they look like a joke, they dont look scary nor weird, they even look cute.

That is the whole problem I'm trying to stress out here.

F
addict
addict
F
My opinion:

I LOVE that this game is more like D:OS 2 than BG 2. Because I only had a short affair with BG 2 but I'm in love forever with D:OS 2.

(Actually I'd have preferred D:OS 3, because I'm way more into Rivellon than Baldurs Gate, but ok... as long as I get a similar humor, the canonical context of the story doesn't matter that much to me... I just think that "classless" is MUCH better than "classful", but ok, ok...)

#JusticeForKarlach

Petition to save Karlach: https://www.change.org/p/justice-for-karlach
journeyman
journeyman
@ kyrthorsen: We will have to agree to disagree on what hue an Intellect Devourer should be. I can respect your position that they could have a more muted color pallet, however, I don't think that is the direction they should go personally.

It has been 20 years since BG2, and I think Larian has an opportunity to have a wide variety of color pallets across the entire game. I would really like to see how the Mind Flayers look in action. That might make or break my position. Everything else from Intellect Devourers to Goblins looked good to me.

Last edited by Gmazca; 02/03/20 10:49 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Ratherz
Originally Posted by dmsephiroth
Originally Posted by Ratherz
This will never be a baldurs gate 3 larian...just look what you've made and how angry a lot of the old baldurs gate players are.

Just a bunch of entitled manchildren throwing a fit when things aren't going exactly how they would in their own personal perfect world.

How adult and accurate, insulting other people only bec. they do not share your opinion. Please grow up.

I don't have a problem with different opinions. I do have a problem with the sense of ownership and entitlement the BG fans have toward the game. If Larian made a game I didn't like, I would express my opinion and move on. I like how the game is shaping up, so I'm here. A lot of the whiner crowd seems bent on trying to force Larian to change the game to their vision, when what's important here is Larian's vision.

They will made it anyway. I have just a problem with the name BG 3 infront of it. Just name it DOS 3 or dunno Sword Coast xyz .

With the name baldurs gate the fans think bout something else than this product.

They will made it anyway. I have just a problem with the name BG 3 infront of it. Just name it DOS 3 or dunno Sword Coast xyz .

With the name baldurs gate the fans think bout something else than this product.

This post literally makes no sense. Why would they name a Baldur's Gate game, one that resides within the Baldur's Gate universe, with the same lore, anything but Baldur's Gate? How would naming it DOS make any sense?

Should Fallout New Vegas have been titled TES because it used the same engine and assets? Should Mass Effect or Dragon Age be titled the other for using the same engine and assets?

An IP is defined by its lore first and foremost. Gameplay and art is subject to change. Thus far we've seen a Baldur's Gate game with D&D gameplay and content.

People are acting like this is Bethesda bastardizing the Fallout IP based on a small showcase in a very early build with placeholder content. I'm honestly baffled.

S
veteran
veteran
S
If they were to rename the game (which they wont, and cannot), would you shut up?
no.

You wouldnt. youd mvoe the goalpost yet again.

At firs tit was "it was gonna have the divinity ruleset" no it doesnt.
then it was "it will have too much humor and wont be grimdark" cue the trailer
now its "we dont like the name"

youll never be satisfied. so no cocnessions should be made to you.

And if you people KEEP bringing up this nonsense about "Muh dark atmosphere" ill make a collage of all those brightl ylit BG2 images from the other thread and i will post it EVERY.SINGLE.TIME you bring this up.

Last edited by Sordak; 03/03/20 10:37 AM.
D
D
Originally Posted by Sordak
If they were to rename the game (which they wont, and cannot), would you shut up?
no.

Of course people would no longer complain. Do you think anybody cares if Larian makes a game? Of course they don't. What they care about is that Larian is co-opting another game series to make a clone of their DOS series, and are marketing their D&D DOS formula game as something that it isn't - which is a Baldur's Gate series game.

If Larian called their game anything that wasn't pretending to be Baldur's Gate 3, nobody would complain.

You wouldnt. youd mvoe the goalpost yet again.

At firs tit was "it was gonna have the divinity ruleset" no it doesnt.
then it was "it will have too much humor and wont be grimdark" cue the trailer
now its "we dont like the name"

You should put at least some thought into your post. The former two criticisms, about the ruleset (I haven't seen that criticism and I'm guessing that you haven't, either and are just BSing) and the type of humour, only apply because Larian are claiming it to be Baldur's Gate 3. If Larian weren't claiming it to be a part of the original Baldur's Gate PC series then there'd be no measurement by which to say it should or shouldn't have a particular ruleset or a certain style of humour.

Quit making nonsense up out of thin air to pretend that you have an argument when you have none.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Sordak

ill make a collage of all those brightl ylit BG2 images from the other thread and i will post it EVERY.SINGLE.TIME you bring this up.

Please do so. smile

A
addict
addict
A
hi i just want to chime in regarding my opinion. what i've seen this is basically just exactly DOS2 clone but with Baldur's Gate name. the UI, aesthetics, the graphics even 4 party character limit (not to mention turn-based) is exact DOS2 clone. i have DOS2 and i've played it. it's a great game. but Larian please don't be lazy by just copy paste and clone everything like DOS2. i'm looking forward to play baldur's gate 3 not DOS3.

one of the party character looks like Ifan from DOS2 and the vampire guy.. is he an iconic baldur's gate character? i don't particularly like his desgin. the hair, the face, the clothings doesn't seems to click well with high fantasy but looks modern. same with some demon where it's appearance doesn't seems to click at all.

what is that shove and jump? it looks really silly. why not just teleport or blink? it's really very silly and out of proportion in baldur's gate settings. i know this is just my opinion but the art design especially character design except the githyanki.. they all doesn't look right or suitable or reminds me about baldur's gate at all. i don't know? maybe the color pallette? the modern vampire look?

larian.. don't try to be naive and ignore negative feedback. right now i see the community has split like 50/50. you are going to be on a very bad reputation for ruining the franchise.

honestly if you call this DOS3 i will be more than happy.

Page 10 of 61 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 60 61

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard