Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 27 of 61 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 60 61
journeyman
journeyman
That's alright mate, I retract my strong words in my post above then.
Maybe vometia will lock this down when she comes by the next time an reads your note.
Let's have moderately heated discussions on other topics, would be boring without people with a passionate opinions smile

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by LaserOstrich
Let's have moderately heated discussions on other topics, would be boring without people with a passionate opinions smile

Well quite.

Originally Posted by kyrthorsen
Cant believe people are still commenting on this (wish I could just delete the thread). LOL

Locked as kinda sorta requested. PM me if you want it re-opened (or moved out of sight, for that matter).

J'aime le fromage.
apprentice
apprentice
I have to agree with Dakatarn WizardPus and some others from the BG era.

We played 2D games with much less gpu capability, and yet we enjoyed them a LOT!

Divinity 2 (I just finished it) has some wonderful capabilities, yet it loses focus on the atmosphere, as these guys eloquently explained above.

I sincerely hope that some people who Directed for BG2 and Planescape Torment were called to help Larian studios with Direction and scriptwriting, so that Larian can focus on what they excel at.

I am sure DOS 1 and 2 required enormous collective effort, and in that sense I take my hat off to Larian Studios.

At the same time, much like with Michael Bay movies, it is possible to ruin great special effects and engines with bad scriptwriting and direction.

BG3 could be the integration of BG2 script, D&D rules with DOS engine and combat mechanics.

It could set the tone for future RPG turn-based games...if , like they wrote above, Larian studios removes the flash/super mario kart type of special effects from some skills, adjusted the atmosphere, scriptwriting for medieval fantasy, and some details that I cannot articulate but still felt while playing DOS 1 and 2.

And the reason why I came here to write, is that Larian studios is like our current Skywalker - you are our hope fo continuing the legacy of old Dragonlance, Baldur´s Gate, Planescape RPG games.

You got the Force...the Source..whatever you want to call it.

Larian studios has an opportunity to become the God/Divinity of RPG turn-based games, evolving from their predecessors.

We count on you...please do not turn to the void, or dark side of the gaming industry.

addict
addict
Man .....just let them finish the game before trying to tear it to pieces. Yes people have differing points of view I agree with the OP & thats Ok - but for anyone who loves D&D let them finish the game, let them take constructive feedback & work on it which they will do I'm sure.

BG 1&2 are held up in history as some of the best there's been no taking that away but they are 20 + something years old - its time for a modern D&D game - who gives a hoot if it says BG3 ...yes yes the legacy I get it but this is Larian's game & their vision.... - RTWP we've had POE 1&2 . They are trying to do something new - of course they will use some of their IP from DOS 1&2 and you'd be crazy to think they wouldn't ....I swear some people have no clue about money - developers don't have unlimited funds - Larian have a huge amount riding on this game & its success.

Im not a Larian fanboy ive not played either of the DOS games - but im a gamer for 30+ years who loves D&D and I just want to see this game succeed so we get more D&D games in development. Hopefully between BG3, Solaster Crown of the Magister & Dark Alliance we will all get at least one game we can be truly happy with. So why not get on board & make these things a success rather than slowly sending the message to all future developers that its just not worth the risk to go near D&D .....ever.....

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Tarorn
Yes people have differing points of view I agree with the OP & thats Ok - but for anyone who loves D&D let them finish the game, let them take constructive feedback & work on it which they will do I'm sure.

BG 1&2 are held up in history as some of the best there's been no taking that away but they are 20 + something years old ...yes yes the legacy I get it but this is Larian's game & their vision.... - Larian have a huge amount riding on this game & its success.

Im not a Larian fanboy ive not played either of the DOS games - but im a gamer for 30+ years who loves D&D and I just want to see this game succeed so we get more D&D games in development.

+1 smile

The greatest of evils we face may lie within
veteran
veteran
Man .....just let them finish the game before trying to tear it to pieces. Yes people have differing points of view I agree with the OP & thats Ok - but for anyone who loves D&D let them finish the game, let them take constructive feedback & work on it which they will do I'm sure.

BG 1&2 are held up in history as some of the best there's been no taking that away but they are 20 + something years old - its time for a modern D&D game - who gives a hoot if it says BG3 ...yes yes the legacy I get it but this is Larian's game & their vision.... - RTWP we've had POE 1&2 . They are trying to do something new - of course they will use some of their IP from DOS 1&2 and you'd be crazy to think they wouldn't ....I swear some people have no clue about money - developers don't have unlimited funds - Larian have a huge amount riding on this game & its success.

Im not a Larian fanboy ive not played either of the DOS games - but im a gamer for 30+ years who loves D&D and I just want to see this game succeed so we get more D&D games in development. Hopefully between BG3, Solaster Crown of the Magister & Dark Alliance we will all get at least one game we can be truly happy with. So why not get on board & make these things a success rather than slowly sending the message to all future developers that its just not worth the risk to go near D&D .....ever.....

Keep in mind that you can be in love with Baldur's Gate without being a huge fan of D&D.

I like D&D because it's the rules of BG. Nothing more.
You're not only talking to Larian's and D&D's fan when you named a game Baldur's Gate 3.

I guess those don't see (yet?) in BG3 enough of what they loved in BG

Last edited by Maximuuus; 07/07/20 08:50 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
...And I think they never gonna see anything of BG in BG3 if they just judge (very harshly) a game not even in EA with a trailer and two gameplays. Self-fulfilling prophecy, anyone?

Many people already have their review of the game made since the first 30-second trailer of the game the last year.

Im not a Larian fanboy ive not played either of the DOS games - but im a gamer for 30+ years who loves D&D and I just want to see this game succeed so we get more D&D games in development. Hopefully between BG3, Solaster Crown of the Magister & Dark Alliance we will all get at least one game we can be truly happy with. So why not get on board & make these things a success rather than slowly sending the message to all future developers that its just not worth the risk to go near D&D .....ever....

+100

Last edited by _Vic_; 07/07/20 09:27 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by _Vic_
...And I think they never gonna see anything of BG in BG3 if they just judge (very harshly) a game not even in EA with a trailer and two gameplays. Self-fulfilling prophecy, anyone?

Many people already have their review of the game made since the first 30-second trailer of the game the last year.

Of course they have.
There are many things we already know after each video/ama. Not every details but chosen paths.
Maybe that doesn't suits them.

i.e think about the word we cannot write, I saw many players here but mainly on other forums saying "I'm done with BG3" just because of this.
Is that bad ?

I wasn't writing the previous message to have another "polemic", just for him to realize that the message he was answering to wasn't maybe written by someone (only/mainly) in love with D&D.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 07/07/20 10:25 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
It's not bad if you dislike the game, we all have different tastes.

It´s not really fair if you trash talk a game in development only because it does not suit your tastes and does not live to the unrealistic expectations you have beforehand. Just wait until the game is finished and you will have lots of reasons to complaining incessantly, I´m sure.

I could have wanted another CRPG RTwP game from Obsidian like PoS2, but I´m not going to spread hate about "The Outer worlds" just because they decided to create a shooter instead (And yeah, before anyone starts with the "but it is called bg3" bla bla bla... Fallout NV and Final fantasyVII remake still have the same name of their predecessors and they´re very different games in their own, with their failures and successes... and they must be judged by his actions, not his name, no matter what many people think).

Last edited by _Vic_; 07/07/20 10:08 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by _Vic_
It's not bad if you dislike the game, we all have different tastes.

It´s bad if you trash talk a game in development only because it does not suit your tastes and does not live to the unrealistic expectations you have beforehand.

And can you tell me where Uacari's message was trash talk and where he said the game doens't suit him ?
Because the conversation was only about his message...

EDIT : sorry I quote it before you edit it. I think it changes nothing.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 07/07/20 10:11 AM.

veteran
veteran
NW, the message was the same, more or less wink

veteran
veteran
Hopefully between BG3, Solaster Crown of the Magister & Dark Alliance we will all get at least one game we can be truly happy with. So why not get on board & make these things a success rather than slowly sending the message to all future developers that its just not worth the risk to go near D&D .....ever.....

But what if NONE of these games is a game I'm happy with? By not being critical, aren't I then sending the message that studios should keep making games I WON'T like? And that means I will NEVER get a D&D game that I like. But I'm supposed to be okay with this because a bunch of other people will get to have the games they want? Seems very unfair to me.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by kanisatha

But what if NONE of these games is a game I'm happy with? By not being critical, aren't I then sending the message that studios should keep making games I WON'T like? And that means I will NEVER get a D&D game that I like. But I'm supposed to be okay with this because a bunch of other people will get to have the games they want? Seems very unfair to me.

Hahahahaha.. thank you. Great laugh!

addict
addict
Hopefully between BG3, Solaster Crown of the Magister & Dark Alliance we will all get at least one game we can be truly happy with. So why not get on board & make these things a success rather than slowly sending the message to all future developers that its just not worth the risk to go near D&D .....ever.....

Rarely is anything in life perfect - ive never played the perfect game either - constructive criticism is fine or suggestions of improvements - no issue there its more the people who would appear to want a game to fail entirely (not suggesting you want that) before its even had a chance to prove itself that I get annoyed with.

apprentice
apprentice

Man .....just let them finish the game before trying to tear it to pieces.

Im not a Larian fanboy ive not played either of the DOS games

ok Tarorn,
If you have played BG1 and 2, but neither of the DOS games, you are in the situation I was a few months ago.
When I saw the news about BG3, in 3D terrains and with other capabilities, I decided to buy and play DOS 1 and 2 to check what Larian did before BG3.

but ok, you have a point - to wait and see BG3.

ps: storywise, Planescape Torment was even cooler than Baldur´s Gate. For me it became a cult, kind of like the first Blade Runner movie.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Uacari

Man .....just let them finish the game before trying to tear it to pieces.

Im not a Larian fanboy ive not played either of the DOS games

ok Tarorn,
If you have played BG1 and 2, but neither of the DOS games, you are in the situation I was a few months ago.
When I saw the news about BG3, in 3D terrains and with other capabilities, I decided to buy and play DOS 1 and 2 to check what Larian did before BG3.

but ok, you have a point - to wait and see BG3.

ps: storywise, Planescape Torment was even cooler than Baldur´s Gate. For me it became a cult, kind of like the first Blade Runner movie.

I just want a great D&D game - I just purchased DOS2 but i cant bring myself to play it so close to early access BG3 in August (hopefully) - anything else i buy will just sit in steam collecting dust until I get a chance to play BG3 - & you are spot on about Blade Runner - legend of a movie - god the new one was rubbish ..so disappointing

veteran
veteran
you are spot on about Blade Runner - legend of a movie - god the new one was rubbish ..so disappointing

What's wrong with you people...

W
veteran
veteran
W

That’s a pretty entitled thing to say. Life isn’t fair. You kind of just have to deal with that. If your tastes are out of sync with the broader market, that’s just a reality you have to live with. If BG3 is a financial success, no amount of criticism that you make will have even the slightest impact on how the industry decides to proceed.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Warlocke

That’s a pretty entitled thing to say. Life isn’t fair. You kind of just have to deal with that. If your tastes are out of sync with the broader market, that’s just a reality you have to live with. If BG3 is a financial success, no amount of criticism that you make will have even the slightest impact on how the industry decides to proceed.

I think Kanisatha was simply saying that it is unfair that he is criticised for making comments that are intended to try to influence how the game develops, simply because other people don't want the same things.

A minority opinion shouldn't be shouted down, simply because it is a minority. As a minority, it is unlikely to lead to direct change in features, but may lead to developers including optional features or game modes etc to try to please as many people as possible.

As for tastes, profitability and the broader market, well, that's not even applicable to this game. This sort of game with relatively complex rules and turn-based execution ( weather RPG or Grand Strategy ) is not the mainstream market, and not where the real money is.

Obviously Larian need the game to sell, but they are making this game because it's the one they want to make, rather than for its profit potential. I applaud them for that attitude, even if they make design choices I don't personally like.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by etonbears
Originally Posted by Warlocke

I think Kanisatha was simply saying that it is unfair that he is criticised for making comments that are intended to try to influence how the game develops, simply because other people don't want the same things.

A minority opinion shouldn't be shouted down, simply because it is a minority. As a minority, it is unlikely to lead to direct change in features, but may lead to developers including optional features or game modes etc to try to please as many people as possible.

This is exactly what I was saying. Thank you for your understanding.

Page 27 of 61 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 60 61

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard