Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 59 of 61 1 2 57 58 59 60 61
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Nyloth

Another fun fact, DAO is very different from Dragon Age 2, but it's still the same series of games. And then DAi very different from Dragon Age 2. Everything except lore.

Yeah and all DA games are consecutively worse then the last one. Origins is still the best DA in no small part to some classic RPG elements that are no longer present in DA2. Inquisition practically played like an MMO.
We can look at Mass Effect too, which peaked in Mass Effect 2, went downhill in ME3, and blew into tiny little smithereens in Andromeda to the point that Mass Effect is now a dead franchise.
BTW I don't think that Larian is actually interested in much of our feedback, they are just using these forums as a barometer to see how angry/pleased people are with their product, but they aren't going to change anything major.

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
Originally Posted by Stikyard
I'm not getting a Baldurs Gate feel at all. I created a topic and got rerouted, so I post this here.

1. Nothing to do with OG storyline (I could be wrong, haven't finished yet)

2. Menus and interface are not like BG at all.

3. 4 man party instead of 6

4. No map traveling with possible random encounters

5. Go to Camp feature. What happened to camping where you are (possible encounter) or buying an Inn bed?

6. Have yet to visit an actual town

7. Where in Faerun are we?

8. New combat system, not necessarily bad but, not like BG.

9. Can't set formation for party.

10, No day / night cycle.

I feel like we've been given the bait and switch, Last Jedi treatment. I remember the Devs saying how honored they were to be granted the BG IP then, just made Divinity 3 anyway.

1.There are a lot of hints that says otherwise.

2.Ui and interface are indeed not like BG and while i do believe the UI needs a major rework the old Bg Ui was not so different or optimal.

3.Baldur's gate 3 is based on the 5th edition and the 5th edition is tailored for group of four adventurers.

4.I do believe there is map traveling when you reach some points you will see an old style map just like bg1 and 2 as for random encounters we don't know.

5.Camp feature is there ues as for buying an inn bed? Maybe it will be possible? In the early access there are not inns.

6.Yes we have yet to visit an actual town

7.Between Elturel and Baldur's gate along the river it is hinted several times.

8. Again 5th edition with a series of custom rules. The old baldur's gate were using the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons a dated edition that were still using ThacO. It is still D&D.

9.Again early access.

10. Yeah that feature is missing and is a shame is the only thing i really don't agree on.

But your whole argument can be debunked easily the combat is like that because they are using 5th edition. There are many things i don't agree upon like the power of the elemental surface and the presence of carefully placed explosive barrels but again. The game is in early access.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by ash elemental

Interface and mechanics are important too, though. I like the interface in BG3, but the party control mechanics are frankly terrible. In BG2 I could move my party around without any bigger issues, and I could easily switch between controlled characters. In BG3 not only we don't have party formations, having to chain/unchain characters just to navigate maps adds to unnecessary micromanagement.

I didn't say that mechanics BG3 are perfect, I said it's OK if it differs from the mechanics BG2.

Just like you, I think that many things need to be changed. For example, I hate jumping and I also want party formations and other things. But these mechanics (like party formations) was not only in BG or BG2.
I say "we need changes, these mechanics are inconvenient", but I don't say "we need what was in BG2!" because I don't think this is quite correct.

I just think lore, characters, and events more important when you compare one game in a series with another. Many games have similar mechanics this is not something unique. So when someone says "this game is not like the previous one!" I think they're talking about lore or atmosphere or other things like this, not about menu and font...

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Eldath

Another fun fact, DAO is very different from Dragon Age 2, but it's still the same series of games. And then DAi very different from Dragon Age 2. Everything except lore.

Yeah and all DA games are consecutively worse then the last one. Origins is still the best DA in no small part to some classic RPG elements that are no longer present in DA2. Inquisition practically played like an MMO.
We can look at Mass Effect too, which peaked in Mass Effect 2, went downhill in ME3, and blew into tiny little smithereens in Andromeda to the point that Mass Effect is now a dead franchise.
BTW I don't think that Larian is actually interested in much of our feedback, they are just using these forums as a barometer to see how angry/pleased people are with their product, but they aren't going to change anything major.

Just don't tell that DAI fans. They will eat you. Many people are also waiting DA4. So I can agree with you about MEA cuz game was just raw, but not about Dragon Age. A new generation of players likes DAI. To be honest I don't like DAI because I played DAO and DA2 I can compare. But they did not play and they like it, they are waiting for a new part, thats how it's work.

I would like to see the D&D rules enforced more, things like spells, skills and monsters to be accurate more. Dodge added and disengage should be returned to standard etc.

Things along those lines.. Barrelmancy can go as well.

A
addict
addict
A

I didn't say that mechanics BG3 are perfect, I said it's OK if it differs from the mechanics BG2.

Just like you, I think that many things need to be changed. For example, I hate jumping and I also want party formations and other things. But these mechanics (like party formations) was not only in BG or BG2.
I say "we need changes, these mechanics are inconvenient", but I don't say "we need what was in BG2!" because I don't think this is quite correct.

I just think lore, characters, and events more important when you compare one game in a series with another. Many games have similar mechanics this is not something unique. So when someone says "this game is not like the previous one!" I think they're talking about lore or atmosphere or other things like this, not about menu and font...

Games are interactive media; mechanics & interface determine the interactions between the player and the game's lore, setting and characters. In my opinion BG2's huge success (at that time) was due to the developers finding the right combination of an epic story, a D&D-based fantasy setting, a memorable companion cast and enjoyable gameplay and mechanics. Such as for example being able to play with a party of six, as opposed to four. Six is, after all, a number much closer to the original fellowship of the ring. And yet somehow many developers fail to consider that it was a fellowship, not just adventures of Frodo, even as they keep reusing Tolkien-inspired content in their games.

addict
addict
I just see how many people argue their dissatisfaction with the fact that " BG3 is not like BG2 " or something similar. But it's normal that it's not exactly the same.

That is incorrect, or partially incorrect.
The main criticism is that it deviates from the D&D ruleset too much, the current one, not the one from the BG times. No one is saying that it should follow AD&D ruleset from 1989.
Another criticism is that up to now at least the story has nothing to do with the events of the BG games at all.

journeyman
journeyman
Everytime I have to make the whole party jump over something...

journeyman
journeyman
I remember DoS2 has like 4 game modes. I would like to see Core Rule set mode and, Iron Man mode.

Last edited by Stikyard; 01/12/20 08:29 PM.
Banned
Banned

Just don't tell that DAI fans. They will eat you. Many people are also waiting DA4. So I can agree with you about MEA cuz game was just raw, but not about Dragon Age. A new generation of players likes DAI. To be honest I don't like DAI because I played DAO and DA2 I can compare. But they did not play and they like it, they are waiting for a new part, thats how it's work.

I told it to my BF too, he got pissy about it lol. But he is an idiot because he even likes ME:Andromeda.
Oh well, some peopel just have no taste.

addict
addict

I partly agree. The basic game spirit and structure are based on DOS2, with rules derived from DnD5e and story derived from BG/FR. That was clearly what they were showing in all the pre-EA teasers and streams, and that is what we have.

Most of the complaints in the forum ( like this one ) really arise from that game design blend not meeting the personal preferences of the complainant.

This is fine, as personal preferences of gamers will be very varied, but it would be impossible for Larian to actually change the game so that it catered to everyone's preferences.

From that perspective, you are right that they will not listen to feedback that demands major changes, unless that feedback if overwhelming and one-sided.

But I think they will find ideas, or inspiration from ideas aired on the forum, so long as they are presented in a way that makes it clear how the game might benefit. Unfortunately, most complaints do not actually do that.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by etonbears

I partly agree. The basic game spirit and structure are based on DOS2, with rules derived from DnD5e and story derived from BG/FR. That was clearly what they were showing in all the pre-EA teasers and streams, and that is what we have.

Most of the complaints in the forum ( like this one ) really arise from that game design blend not meeting the personal preferences of the complainant.

This is fine, as personal preferences of gamers will be very varied, but it would be impossible for Larian to actually change the game so that it catered to everyone's preferences.

From that perspective, you are right that they will not listen to feedback that demands major changes, unless that feedback if overwhelming and one-sided.

But I think they will find ideas, or inspiration from ideas aired on the forum, so long as they are presented in a way that makes it clear how the game might benefit. Unfortunately, most complaints do not actually do that.

I think they won't listen to minor stuff either. They expect modders to take care of it for them. And to be fair I feel the same way. I can't expect companies to give me stuff I actually want anymore.
Oh well playing as an origin character will still be fun.

journeyman
journeyman
Furthermore, I've seen the argument that a lot of new players will want to jump in and enjoy a new game and don't care about BG1 and BG2, how they looked, felt, played, ect.

My question is, Why even bother to title this game BG3 if you weren't going to try to appeal to the hardcore fans, the D&D fans.

As far as I know DoS was a pretty successful game. You could have just made DoS3 and let someone who actually wanted to make BG3 do it right.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Furthermore, I've seen the argument that a lot of new players will want to jump in and enjoy a new game and don't care about BG1 and BG2, how they looked, felt, played, ect.

My question is, Why even bother to title this game BG3 if you weren't going to try to appeal to the hardcore fans, the D&D fans.

As far as I know DoS was a pretty successful game. You could have just made DoS3 and let someone who actually wanted to make BG3 do it right.

Larian did want to make BG3, along with many other studios that were also pitching to make the game. WotC awarded them the license because they felt that Larian was the right studio for the job.

journeyman
journeyman
I think Larian could have pulled this off, even with their DoS system tweaked to D&D rules more or less but, they haven't managed to bring any of the aesthetic from BG.

1. Similar menu, tabs, interface would go a long way to make it feel like home.
2. I miss the little green circle around my feet
3. The way characters emote when you click on them "STOP TOUCHING ME!"
4. The little things

I think they forgot one simple rule, K.I.S.S.

addict
addict
I think Larian could have pulled this off, even with their DoS system tweaked to D&D rules more or less but, they haven't managed to bring any of the aesthetic from BG.

1. Similar menu, tabs, interface would go a long way to make it feel like home.
2. I miss the little green circle around my feet
3. The way characters emote when you click on them "STOP TOUCHING ME!"
4. The little things

I think they forgot one simple rule, K.I.S.S.

Someone here wrote to me "no, no, it's just about DnD rules", look at this person, and repeat it to me. It is literally a request 'I want everything as in the old days'. meh...

Last edited by Nyloth; 02/12/20 08:49 AM.

journeyman
journeyman
Core Rules mode is not too much to ask for. DoS2 had like four different game modes. This is a D&D game, Core Rules is a no brainer.

As far as Aesthetics, this is supposed to be a BG game. You would think that you might want to appeal to the classic fans. Setting up a similar interface set up to the classics, immediately tells me where everything is. I know exactly where to look and feel immediately at home.

These suggestion seem actually quite simple to me.

journeyman
journeyman
Core Rules as a D&D fan, tells me everything I need to know. I know what racial benefits to expect, I know what classes are capable of and, I know the core mechanics of the game and combat.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Danielbda

Another criticism is that up to now at least the story has nothing to do with the events of the BG games at all.

I really, really, really don't want it to have much to do beyond "Oh yeah, baldur's gate 2 happened before this". The bhaalspawn's story is done, dusted, and the more they reference it the more likely something will conflict with a player's experience of the game. Keep the themes of power/corruption? Sure, but nothing more, please.

S
stranger
stranger
S
If you want to see DnD 5e done right in 2020, try Solasta. Uninstalled BG3 after playing it. This DOS 2.5 is a shitty homebrew at best, I wouldn't play past session 0. My hopes were pretty low, but Larian went even lower.

Page 59 of 61 1 2 57 58 59 60 61

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard