Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
enthusiast
enthusiast
I will never understand why people like BG's soundtrack, I thought it was generic. Kirill Pokrovsky should compose it but sadly he passed away.

journeyman
journeyman
What? I am overbundance of informations! wink

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boeroer
What? I am overbundance of informations! wink

Monstrous size has no intrinsic merit, unless inordinate exsanguination be considered a virtue.

stranger
stranger
Look this example and the game has been not release yet. This pathfinder 2 looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a1rPHaQ5fQ

Last edited by Briche; 02/03/20 11:56 AM.
addict
addict
I think the music from DOS2 was exceptional and I can only hope the soundtrack for BG3 is it's equal. Or is this post not so much about the quality of the music itself, but yet another thread of the overriding complaint that BG3 isn't enough like BG1 and 2?

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem

Monstrous size has no intrinsic merit

Said the eunuch... laugh

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Emrikol
I think the music from DOS2 was exceptional and I can only hope the soundtrack for BG3 is it's equal. Or is this post not so much about the quality of the music itself, but yet another thread of the overriding complaint that BG3 isn't enough like BG1 and 2?

DOS2 music is great and i enjoy it a lot. But DOS is DOS and BG is BG.

It seems it is the same person who made the music for DOS who now makes the music for BG3. Which is not a good thing IMO, despite his talent, because as we can hear, he tends to make sound track that sounds similar with the same kind of tones, sounds, instruments, accords and samples.

The music from BG2 had mostly 2 different kind of tones : "epic" during combat and "mysterious" during adventure. Very rarely had a "happy" or "carefree" tone, except in inns and taverns. They generally use classical instruments and choirs.
While in DOS2 i feel the music is trying to be more "quirky" and "magical" and fits well the theme of the game. They generally use modern or exotic instruments, generally no choirs.

As a result not only the music instantly makes you think about Divinity instead of Baldur's Gate, but it also prevent any feeling of continuity. This music is not the sequel to BG2 music. It's something else.

On a final note, the music from the introduction cinematic feels closer to the original BG music, and makes me feel hopeful for the final product. But i would prefer they directly work with the composer from the original games, rather than try to make it their own thing.

Last edited by vometia; 04/03/20 04:00 PM. Reason: formatting
addict
addict
I think Basil Poledouris set the standard for fantasy music with Conan the Barbarian, and believe me, I love it (before I found the CD for the soundtrack, I recorded the actual movie onto cassette and listened to it that way, horse cries, death screams and all). I found it refreshing, though, that Larian went away from the traditional, and honestly, worn out and overused style of choir and timpani to something different. I understand the desire to have the BG2 style of music revisited in BG3, but if Clint Eastwood were to make another Dirty Harry movie (ridiculous though that might be in it's own right), would we really expect the music be like the Jaco Pastorus themed jazz/funk fusion music of the 70s? I don't think so. The style of music were talking about might be more timeless and less generational, but still... things move on. Once again, I applaud Larian for taking a new approach and I hope they continue to forge new ground instead of futilely trying to recapture the past.

stranger
stranger
Nothing wrong with a more modern take in the composition but the themes need to reminds you about the original work for us to feel like it's a sequel.

So far not much reminds us of the previous game, and if it's not the soundtrack it has to be something else.

Btw i don't think re-using the same kind of music as their previous game can be lauded as a "new approach", to me that feels just ... lazy ?

Last edited by Darkath; 04/03/20 04:40 PM.
addict
addict
The new approach was with DOS2. If they reused the same music, yeah that would be lazy. But continuing with what they started? Go for it.

veteran
veteran

Said the eunuch... laugh

How very witty, no wonder you're one of the morons accusing Jeremy Soule.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Emrikol

Couldn't agree more !

journeyman
journeyman

Said the eunuch... laugh

How very witty, no wonder you're one of the morons accusing Jeremy Soule.

You mean I wasn't supposed to respond wittingly to some pdeudo-philosophical sentence with which you reacted to my non-serious remark? Oops!
Well at least I don't use personal attacks and name calling when I get teased.

Blame my social-emotional maturity not resembling that of a five year old I guess.

I accuse Jeremy Soule of nothing other than maybe having suboptimal communication skill. Others came forward and did accuse him of very bad behavior though - and very convincingly at that. And I believe them. You may choose to do otherwise.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Enough. If the pair of you can't discuss stuff in a civilised manner then please don't do so at all.

J'aime le fromage.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard