Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18
Joined: May 2019
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: May 2019
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by Warlocke

I am deeply amused that for the entirety of this UI debate the UI being debated was already obsolete and changed. 😂

The new one is a big improvement.

Yes, and it will more likely change even further. Still, if players express their worries then Larian can address those, if they find it appropriate. If D:OS2 UI was blameless I wouldn't worry, but I had quite a few issues with it, and I would like those to be addressed in BG3.

Yup. Maybe the UI was changed precisely because some people spoke up. So the UI debate is most certainly not obsolete.

Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
The new UI is really better than what we saw before.
I still have little concern about it but it's a positive improvement. I'll wait to see how it works/other elements before thinking about it again.

This is good job.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 11/09/20 02:37 PM.
Joined: Jan 2018
W
old hand
Offline
old hand
W
Joined: Jan 2018
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by Warlocke

I am deeply amused that for the entirety of this UI debate the UI being debated was already obsolete and changed. 😂

The new one is a big improvement.

Yes, and it will more likely change even further. Still, if players express their worries then Larian can address those, if they find it appropriate. If D:OS2 UI was blameless I wouldn't worry, but I had quite a few issues with it, and I would like those to be addressed in BG3.

Yup. Maybe the UI was changed precisely because some people spoke up. So the UI debate is most certainly not obsolete.


Possibly, but unlikely. Larian isn’t slapping together those community videos in a few days. If they are showing off a new UI it would be a safe bet that what they are showing was rendered and approved at least a month ago.

Either way, new UI is much better and this probably won’t even be its final iteration.

Joined: Mar 2020
Location: Belfast
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Mar 2020
Location: Belfast
Speaking of UI. I dig those one screen dice rolls and modifiers from newest Solasta trailer.

https://imgur.com/SH73w4n

Joined: Aug 2014
T
member
Offline
member
T
Joined: Aug 2014
Originally Posted by _Vic_

Originally Posted by Torque


I don't understand what version of D&D has to do what the game looks like. If PF:K ran 5E it would look identical except for some minor UI adjustments.

I respectfully disagree.
The Character and creature design, armour, weapon, etc and possibly the world would be different because Paizo´s pathfinder has a very (very, very, very very very) different style in the artwork than D&D, and, like in any edition, the artwork changes with every installment of the game.

The setting would determine the looks of the world. It´s not the same playing in the lush forests with the proud knights of Lastwall in PF1e than in the dark, undead infested lands of Lastwall in PF2e, the same the game look very different if we´re playing in the Sword coast, the snowy mountains of Icewind Dale or in the plane city of Sigil or the gothic-oriented lands of Ravenloft.

Also, different combat mechanics and rules need different UI.




But Icewind Dale looks like Baldurs Gate. Are you saying because of the snow textures it doesnt? Its like, yea in 5E there are no areas with forests, plains and mountains so I guess it would be impossible for Owlcat to create the Stolen Lands but with a different name. Also, your arguement that Paizo and WotC use (not a very very very very very) different art style doesnt make sense because Owlcat would've still been Owlcat and they wouldve used the same engine and artists.


Joined: Sep 2017
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Sep 2017
Uh, Icewind Dale and BG are based in the same edition of D&D: 2nd edition. but if you say that IWD looks like BG to you despite the snow theme and the terrain and building design, I think I have nothing more to discuss. That would be pointless.

Last edited by _Vic_; 11/09/20 06:42 PM.
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
What is the right word in EN to say that ?
IWD is a BG-like... It looks like saying IWD looks like BG is a mistake according to you... Exactly when some said that PK and PoE "looks" more like BG1/2 than BG3.

Maybe he should have say "IWD feels like BG" not for you to say he's wrong ?

Real question because I totally understand what he mean but you seem not to.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 11/09/20 06:35 PM.
Joined: Sep 2017
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Sep 2017
What I do not understand is what has to do IWD and BG if we were talking about different editions of D&D (or different TT games) and if they change the way a game looks.

Last edited by _Vic_; 11/09/20 06:35 PM.
Joined: Aug 2014
T
member
Offline
member
T
Joined: Aug 2014
Originally Posted by _Vic_
Uh, Icewind Dale and BG are based in the same edition of D&D, but if you say that IWD looks like BG to you despite the snow theme and the terrain and building design, I think I have nothing more to discuss. That would be pointless.


Fascinating. Does anything look the same to you? Give me an example if so.

Joined: Sep 2017
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Sep 2017
Yeah, your ability to change the topic to another unrelated one when you do not have arguments to refute always look the same to me.

Joined: Aug 2014
T
member
Offline
member
T
Joined: Aug 2014
Originally Posted by _Vic_
Yeah, your ability to change the topic to another unrelated one when you do not have arguments to refute always look the same to me.


I thought we were talking about the similarities of video games. Its a topic that can be expanded to lots of things, like music or any kind of art. I dont think I've pivoted, my initial arguement was that I dont think changing the ruleset from 3.5E to 5E would at a fundamental level change how the game looks. You and I seem to have a extremly large difference of opinion when it comes to "sameness" in aesthetics.

Last edited by Torque; 11/09/20 07:04 PM.
Joined: Sep 2017
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Sep 2017
That´s why i said it would be pointless.

Your example for a change of edition from 3.5 to 5e are two games, BG and IWD, made by the same studio, based on the same edition of D&D2e, in two places of the same setting (Forgotten Realms), made roughly in the same years, etc. It would be a surprise if they do not have similarities.

I fail to see how those are related to the topic, to be honest.


Last edited by _Vic_; 11/09/20 07:15 PM.
Joined: Mar 2013
S
veteran
Offline
veteran
S
Joined: Mar 2013
Its the same engine and the same rendering style, the same time period , by the same developers.
Of course it bloody looks the same.

However. Lets jog your mind. What game made today looks lke this?
Solasta doesnt, Kingmaker doesnt, Black Geysir also doesnt. None of them do.

Not even ToEE looks like this. Nothing does because the "look" is specific to the way it was made.

You cannot achieve this lookw ithout beeing pre rendered and having sprites.

At this point, you migh taswell say Warlords Battlecry 3 is a better successor to Baldurs gate because it looks closer.
Which it does.

Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
Yeah you're right, the game you named had absolutely NO similarities in their look or "the feeling you have playing them" with the old IE games...
Are u blind seriously ?

Last edited by Maximuuus; 11/09/20 08:23 PM.
Joined: Mar 2013
S
veteran
Offline
veteran
S
Joined: Mar 2013
All those games are at least as far removed from infinity engine games, visually, as BG3 is.
Besides warlords battlecry 3 that s. whicha ctually looks pretty simmilar...

Last edited by Sordak; 11/09/20 08:30 PM.
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
Originally Posted by Sordak
All those games are at least as far removed from infinity engine games, visually, as BG3 is.
Besides warlords battlecry 3 that s. whicha ctually looks pretty simmilar...


Really ?
What about the camera view (/angle/rotation) and/or isometric/3D ?
What about dialogs ?
What about the way the UI is designed ?

That's just 3 "little" exemples that comes in mind... Do we have to enter the details...? Or maybe you want less obvious exemples ?

A visual look is not only about colors, models or textures...

EDIT : I have to admit I didn't look a lot at solasta atm... maybe you're right about this one, idk.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 11/09/20 09:27 PM.
Joined: Aug 2014
T
member
Offline
member
T
Joined: Aug 2014
Originally Posted by Sordak
Its the same engine and the same rendering style, the same time period , by the same developers.
Of course it bloody looks the same.

However. Lets jog your mind. What game made today looks lke this?
Solasta doesnt, Kingmaker doesnt, Black Geysir also doesnt. None of them do.

Not even ToEE looks like this. Nothing does because the "look" is specific to the way it was made.

You cannot achieve this lookw ithout beeing pre rendered and having sprites.

At this point, you migh taswell say Warlords Battlecry 3 is a better successor to Baldurs gate because it looks closer.
Which it does.


Think of it this way, lets say you show a screenshot of the wilderness of Baldurs Gate and another of the wilderness of Icewind Dale to someone who isnt familiar with the genre. My guess is that they would think its the same game except in the snowy screenshot the party has travelled to another area up north.

If you do the same thing for the other games you've listed it becomes quite clear that its not the same. All modern games cRPGs are inspired by the Infinity Engine games and thus will emulate certain elements and visual styles. To say a game from 1998 doesnt look like a game from 2018 is absolutly true, for obvious reasons, but I dont think its a stretch to imagine if BG was made in 2018 it would look kinda like PoE and PF:K.

And the visual style of D:OS stands out in this regard. Atleast from my perception.

Joined: Sep 2015
N
old hand
Offline
old hand
N
Joined: Sep 2015
Yeah, well, if BG3 was looking like PoE, people would complain it looks like PoE. Don't you guys see it's a never ending debate which leads pretty much nowhere? We know how the game looks by now, some gamers don't like it, some do, like for every single game on the planet. It can't be helped. Let's move on now, shall we?

Joined: Mar 2020
Location: Belfast
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Mar 2020
Location: Belfast
Originally Posted by Torque
All modern games cRPGs are inspired by the Infinity Engine games and thus will emulate certain elements and visual styles. To say a game from 1998 doesnt look like a game from 2018 is absolutly true, for obvious reasons, but I dont think its a stretch to imagine if BG was made in 2018 it would look kinda like PoE and PF:K.

It's a bit like expecting modern DOOMs to use 2d sprites. It's nice of budget retro-shooter, but it won't make the cut if you want to attract more people then those remembering the originals.

Joined: Sep 2020
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Sep 2020
Can't we just enjoy this as a game on it's own rather than overzealously comparing it to it's predecessors? I fear the die-hard Baldur's Gate fans will downvote BG3 into oblivion because it may not fully align with what they expect from a Baldur's Gate game.
Larian Studios is currently the biggest(?) studio that creates RPG's like this at the moment and toppling this studio just because BG3 isn't close enough to it's predecessors will only hurt the genre as a whole.

The only reason I bought and even came across games like Pillars of Eternity and Pathfinder: Kingmaker is because DoS lured me into the genre and I can imagine a whole bunch of people bought those games with a similar backstory as mine.
I would say the successes these games brought is something this genre desperately needed, as it's not just Larian Studios profiting from it but other studios as well and this opens up the possibility of new studios popping up to create games in this genre because of it's successes.

I'm not saying that the entire genre dies out if Baldur's Gate 3 fails to deliver, but it certainly doesn't help as we're not exactly swamped with choices in this genre in the first place.

This situation is in a way comparable to how the Zelda games evolved from NES to current-gen, even if I don't enjoy the newer games as much as I did the one's on (S)NES, they're still good games on their own and rightfully so have earned their stripes.

Last edited by Freekster; 13/09/20 02:03 AM.
Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5