Page 1 of 2 1 2
#661542 05/03/20 02:26 PM
K
Kolpo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Both feats and multiclassing are optional DnD5 system, any info about those 2?

For me are feats the most important ones, they allow new types of characters like a mage slayer(like dragon age Templar) or a sorcerer that specializes in sniping enemies with spells from far away.

In the hunderds of hours I played NWN have I barely multiclassed at all, I only multiclassed when it was required to unlock a certain prestige class. Still would I like to have the option, but it is not that important. Baldur's gate had a lot of muliclassing but old DnD had a far more generous multiclass system than d&d 3, 3.5 or 5

journeyman
journeyman
I remember J.E. Sawyer had really good thoughts on feats vs. classes. Iirc he thought that prestige classes and multi classing in general was a needlessly rigid system as opposed to just giving the player freedom to choose feats that give new abilities. Start off as a rogue, you get a select number of feats and emphasis on certain rogue-y skills, and then if you want to add arcane spellcasting just choose corresponding feat for your character. Works out a lot better than multiclassing IMO.

veteran
veteran
I would not say that BG had more multiclassing options than DnD 3E

In BG there was a limited selection of multi classes (or dual class for humans) that was restricted by race and alignment. Multi class characters could not select subclasses.

In DnD 3E you could giva a char any class you like at any level up, only restricted by alignment and very few race restrictions (arcane archer, dwarven defender)

In DnD 5E any char of any race or alignment can chose any class. If they allow multi classing ( I hope they will) you can select any class at every level up.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
If I had to choose between multiclassing and feats. I would choose feats EVERY time. They allow me as a player to build most character concepts when paired with subclasses. But I would say that certain character concepts are VERY difficult to pull off without multiclassing (even with the existance of subclasses). So I would still like to see multiclassing available in BG3. Also, multiclassing would allow for even greater customization of Origin characters.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Madscientist

In BG there was a limited selection of multi classes (or dual class for humans) that was restricted by race and alignment. Multi class characters could not select subclasses.

In DnD 3E you could giva a char any class you like at any level up, only restricted by alignment and very few race restrictions (arcane archer, dwarven defender)

In DnD 5E any char of any race or alignment can chose any class. If they allow multi classing ( I hope they will) you can select any class at every level up.

The IE 2nd ed. system was really stupid. Dual classing was useless apart from a few overpowered options while multi classing was usually better than single classes apart from a few overpowered kits. It was not a good or balanced system.

S
veteran
veteran
S
there better be feats...

K
Kolpo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
In old
Originally Posted by Madscientist

In new d&d can a cleric/wizard only have 20 levels total(pre epic) 10/10 is the max, but in AD&D can you have way more levels than 20 in total.

veteran
veteran
I did not talk about the maximum level.

I talked about the number of different multi class options, which is a very limited list of allowed combinations in DnD 2E while there is a huge amount of multi class options in DnD 3E and 5E (assuming they allow multi classing, I hope they do)

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
journeyman
journeyman
https://5thsrd.org/rules/multiclassing/

You can multiclass in 5E (assuming Larian stays consistent with 5E on this point). There are stat requirements to multiclass into specific classes, but you can multiclass. Feats are selected in place of ability points at certain level thresholds.

Feats: https://www.aidedd.org/dnd-filters/feats.php

There are fewer feats than 3E, as 5E is all about 'streamlining', but they are there and some of them are quite good.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by zanos
https://5thsrd.org/rules/multiclassing/

You can multiclass in 5E (assuming Larian stays consistent with 5E on this point). There are stat requirements to multiclass into specific classes, but you can multiclass. Feats are selected in place of ability points at certain level thresholds.

Feats: https://www.aidedd.org/dnd-filters/feats.php

There are fewer feats than 3E, as 5E is all about 'streamlining', but they are there and some of them are quite good.

Namely, "Ritual Magic" is perhaps the most awesome one.

addict
addict
I was curious so I had to look this up, I am familiar with 3.0 and 3.5 rules , but 5th is new to me so here is a link to a pdf of the player's hand book. Feats are on page 165, they are all different from what I am use to ( and that's ok ) however there does seem to be far fewer feats.

http://orc-news.ru/dnd5eng.pdf

-Doom

Last edited by Doomlord; 05/03/20 08:53 PM.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Doomlord
I was curious so I had to look this up, I am familiar with 3.0 and 3.5 rules , but 5th is new to me so here is a link to a pdf of the player's hand book. Feats are on page 165, they are all different from what I am use to ( and that's ok ) however there does seem to be far fewer feats.

-Doom

I am also new to 5th edition I am more used to 3.5 edition than 5th edition I have had a look at 5th edition and you are right about it not having as many feats as 3.5 edition but it is way better than 4th edition

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
stranger
stranger
feats an multiclassing are on my require for purchase list for this game

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Doomlord

-Doom

5e Feats don't have the same purpose as they do in 3.x and they are usually package of minor features. A lots of the 3.x feats were baked in certain classes/archetypes as option leveling up. For example, the Sorcerer get access to a certain amount of metamagic but they use their spellpoints to perform them.

Also, classes don't get feats selection, taking a feat is an alternate rule: you can only take a feat at the place of an ability score improvement. In other word, you trade you rare chance to get a +2 to an attribute or +1 to two attributes for a feat. Fighters gets more ability score improvement than the other classes though.

K
Kolpo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Also those ability score improvements can't go above 20. This is done to keep bounded accuracy, which is a very good thing. You could create some utterly broken chars in d&d 3.x, like chars with ridiculous high AC, this made it impossible for normal monsters to hit them(except crits), if you adapted the monster to those OP builds did the game become impossible for non abusive builds.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kolpo
Also those ability score improvements can't go above 20. This is done to keep bounded accuracy, which is a very good thing. You could create some utterly broken chars in d&d 3.x, like chars with ridiculous high AC, this made it impossible for normal monsters to hit them(except crits), if you adapted the monster to those OP builds did the game become impossible for non abusive builds.

There are however bonuses to go above hardcaps, such as the boons per XP above level 20

S
veteran
veteran
S
feats in 5e are all over the place btu required.

Have i already harped on enaugh on the fact that in 5e you require a feat to charge?
No? Cause you do and its fucking stupid

addict
addict
I just came across this on google news,

Multiclass in DUNGEONS & DRAGONS in a New Way with MASTER OF NONE : https://geektyrant.com/news/multiclass-in-dungeons-amp-dragons-in-a-new-way-with-master-of-none

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
old hand
old hand
Last interview I saw said they weren't ready to discuss multiclassing, which seems odd, its a simply yes or no question. Perhaps they plan on tackling the issues when all the classes are in?

Or doing multiclassing differently from 5e?

Feats I think I saw some where as confirmed to be in. My memory could be wrong, it was along while since I daw that.

enthusiast
enthusiast
My question about a feat is does ritual casting have a limit on how many spells you can cast or is it like the wizard class were you can lean as many spells as you want so long as there are ritual spells I am planning on picking the ritual casting if it is in BG3

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard