Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by anjovis bonus
Then again it all depends on how the lack of a day / night cycle will be implemented. A lot of RPG games don't have a day / night cycle, for example Vampire the Masquarade : Bloodlines which despite it faults is an excellent RPG.

That's true but for a valid reason: it would have been incredibly tedious to wait 8 hours out.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Originally Posted by anjovis bonus
Then again it all depends on how the lack of a day / night cycle will be implemented. A lot of RPG games don't have a day / night cycle, for example Vampire the Masquarade : Bloodlines which despite it faults is an excellent RPG.

That's true but for a valid reason: it would have been incredibly tedious to wait 8 hours out.

Well there was the sewer system, which they could have made just as elaborate as the overworld had they wanted to. They just chose not to incorporate time as a gameplay mechanic. IMO it would have been quite interesting for a vampire game to have a proper day / night cycle.

Point is, a day / night cycle does not a good role playing game make and vice versa. It's all in the execution.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kungfukappa
They also say that there will be no random encounters at the end. Double sad.

None of it is surprising. Where would random encounters be placed? It is unlikely it will contain multiple smaller location. D:OS2 consisted of couple big, open zones. BG3 early access will consist of the first zone, so it is safe to assume it will have similar structure.

It’s shame that Larian won’t be experimenting with day&night circle. With their systemic approach, it’s something they could actually do interesting stuff with.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by vometia
Same deal with the Dragon Ages where areas had a fixed time of day. I would've preferred a proper day/night cycle but at least it gave an illusion that there was one, kinda sorta.

Kinda sorta, yeah...

The thing that gets me is that they keep on saying this is D&D 5e but the more I look at it the more I see divergence from the system. While the day/night cycle might seem completely irrelevant it affects other things. If you remove that you're basically removing the exhaustion mechanic (and one part of why rest is important), which in turn affects spells like greater restoration. I personally prefer to be drowned in spell choices (as is the case in D&D 5e) than to have it dumbed down to the point where I'm always spamming 1 spell and never looking at any of the alternatives.

From what I've seen so far I doubt a bunch of well developed D&D mechanics like turning to stone, curses or poisoning will be placed in the game either. I like that the game is story driven but I think they've made some massive mistakes, the main one being that they said it's the 5e rules while they're too afraid to actually implement them. Simply never saying that sentance would've made my expectations for the game completely different and I could've gotten behind almost anything.

enthusiast
enthusiast
To me without a day and night cycle and the need for torches and light spells as well as the nocturnal monsters. This supposedly triple A-game to a Double A-game.

Please don't take my A away and give me A Day and night cycle.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ugmaro
Same deal with the Dragon Ages where areas had a fixed time of day. I would've preferred a proper day/night cycle but at least it gave an illusion that there was one, kinda sorta.

Kinda sorta, yeah...

The thing that gets me is that they keep on saying this is D&D 5e but the more I look at it the more I see divergence from the system. While the day/night cycle might seem completely irrelevant it affects other things. If you remove that you're basically removing the exhaustion mechanic (and one part of why rest is important), which in turn affects spells like greater restoration. I personally prefer to be drowned in spell choices (as is the case in D&D 5e) than to have it dumbed down to the point where I'm always spamming 1 spell and never looking at any of the alternatives.

From what I've seen so far I doubt a bunch of well developed D&D mechanics like turning to stone, curses or poisoning will be placed in the game either. I like that the game is story driven but I think they've made some massive mistakes, the main one being that they said it's the 5e rules while they're too afraid to actually implement them. Simply never saying that sentance would've made my expectations for the game completely different and I could've gotten behind almost anything.

It's not because there is no day/night cycle that exhaustion won't be in the game. Exhaustion has nothing do to with day/night cycle in 5e. It's tied to using Forced March for more than 8 consecutive hours and special abilities/hazard/extreme temperature exposure. Forced March will probably not be in, but the other things might be.

It was confirmed that you will need to rest in the game, for both mechanical (regain spells/HP) and story reasons. There is a passage of time in the game, it's just not a full simulation of a day/night cycle.

Also, Greater Restoration is used for other things than regaining a level of exhaustion. You're brain process of equaling no day/night cycle = no curse or petrify is super weird. DOS2 has permanent curse status and petrify that required very specific abilities to remove.

Last edited by azarhal; 07/03/20 04:07 PM.
addict
addict
Lame, but "Baldur's Gate 3" has the body and soul of Divinity: Original Sin 2, so this move doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Turn-based-only oldsters and Baldur's Gate haters suffering from cataracts, now have another reason to celebrate, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by azarhal

Kinda sorta, yeah...

It's not because there is no day/night cycle that exhaustion won't be in the game. Exhaustion has nothing do to with day/night cycle in 5e. It's tied to using Forced March for more than 8 consecutive hours and special abilities/hazard/extreme temperature exposure. Forced March will probably not be in, but the other things might be.

It was confirmed that you will need to rest in the game, for both mechanical (regain spells/HP) and story reasons. There is a passage of time in the game, it's just not a full simulation of a day/night cycle.

Also, Greater Restoration is used for other things than regaining a level of exhaustion. You're brain process of equaling no day/night cycle = no curse or petrify is super weird. DOS2 has permanent curse status and petrify that required very specific abilities to remove.

The day/night cycle thing is just the latest of things. The bonus actions showed to us had nothing to do with actual bonus actions and were all actions, they said there are no reactions apart from AoO, there are no short rests, now they're saying there is no day/night cycle, meaning they're removing the chance of getting a point of exhaustion from not sleeping (since there's nothing else to do at night).

Compare lesser and greater restorations, realize the differences in spell level and effects, then say that again. The greater restoration was meant as an example, not as a crowning arguement. And since when are we talking about DOS 2?

Edit: feel free to ignore the comparison of the two spells - that's completely subjective about what part makes the spell worthy of a 5th level spell.

Last edited by Ugmaro; 07/03/20 04:36 PM.
addict
addict

Kinda sorta, yeah...

The day/night cycle thing is just the latest of things. The bonus actions showed to us had nothing to do with actual bonus actions and were all actions, they said there are no reactions apart from AoO, there are no short rests, now they're saying there is no day/night cycle, meaning they're removing the chance of getting a point of exhaustion from not sleeping (since there's nothing else to do at night).

Compare lesser and greater restorations, realize the differences in spell level and effects, then say that again. The greater restoration was meant as an example, not as a crowning arguement. And since when are we talking about DOS 2?

Edit: feel free to ignore the comparison of the two spells - that's completely subjective about what part makes the spell worthy of a 5th level spell.

I brought up DOS2 because Larian put curse and petrify in a game already. Why wouldn't they put them in this one where it makes even more senses? Especially when a bunch of people are calling BG3 as DOS3.

The action/bonus action switch was them trying a way to give every class bonus action at lower levels. It's not like D&D doesn't allow house ruling (drinking potion as a bonus action being a popular one). I expect some of them to changed once feedback from early access gets in.

Reaction only have AoO working right now, Larian never said they wouldn't try to add more, they just don't want gameplay interrupted by popups. There is a thread giving suggestions on how to implement more reactions: http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=660998&page=1

It's not like the game is balanced, bug free and final right now..

Banned
Banned
We know what it doesn't offer: the BG experience.

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

This is becoming a broken record at this point.

Look, I just don't think that whining aimlessly is going to help anything.
I'd rather see people argument in favor of what they want in the game in a detailed manner and in the appropriate threads for what they are talking about, if that's not too much to ask.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Banned
Banned
You are one of the most aggressive people who tells others that their opinions are "trivial" next to yours, why should I give a rat's left testicle what you think?

journeyman
journeyman
Looking at kungfukappa's post history: it seems it is too much to ask indeed.

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
You are one of the most aggressive people who tells others that their opinions are "trivial" next to yours, why should I give a rat's left testicle what you think?

You keep whining about that simply because you seem to have poor reading comprehension skill.

I said the problem you were complaining about was trivial in comparison (because it was, "no procedurally generated encounters" is something that the previous games did as well and with little to no impact over the entire campaign, to begin with, since there were barely a handful of handcrafted "pseudo-random encounters" in the entire BG2+ exapansion).
You took it as a personal insult for some reason and kept complaining about it in several replies.

Also, I never asked you to like me. THAT is beside the point of the thread as well.
Just to stick with what's being discussed.

Last edited by Tuco; 07/03/20 05:30 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tuco

This is becoming a broken record at this point.

Look, I just don't think that whining aimlessly is going to help anything.
I'd rather see people argument in favor of what they want in the game in a detailed manner and in the appropriate threads for what they are talking about, if that's not too much to ask.

This thread is about the day and night cycle. And @Kungfukappa's post is not out of line with this topic. BG1 and BG2 both had day and night cycles. It is your responses that are derailing the thread. If you two quit arguing they won't be derailed. Or you can go start your own thread. kungfukappa vs Tuco.

back to topic:

I think they should have a Day-night cycle because it is part of the DND experience and the BG1 and BG2 experience.

Banned
Banned

You keep whining about that simply because you seem to have poor reading comprehension skill.

I said the problem you were complaining about was trivial in comparison (because it was, "no procedurally generated encounters" is something that the previous games did as well and with little to no impact over the entire campaign, to begin with, since there were barely a handful of handcrafted "pseudo-random encounters" in the entire BG2+ exapansion).
You took it as a personal insult for some reason and kept complaining about it in several replies.

Also, I never asked you to like me. THAT is beside the point of the thread as well.

This is a trivial statement. There are much more important statements to worry about.

You are one of the trolls from Steam, you make the exact same threads and comments there. Like Eguzky, you are just a cancerous troll. I came here to get away from cancer like you, but you followed and behave just the same. It is a pity that nowhere is safe from toxic cancer gamers like you.

Last edited by kungfukappa; 07/03/20 05:43 PM.
Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special

This thread is about the day and night cycle. And @Kungfukappa's post is not out of line with this topic..

It's not about the night and day cycle, it's just the NTH iteration of his generic dislike/whining for how this game is shaping up.
So yes, it's "out of the line". And yes, even with your approval.

This is a trivial statement.

I'm starting to doubt you even understand what trivial means, given how you keep misusing it as a goofy attempt at being dismissive and catty.

You are one of the trolls from Steam, you make the exact same threads and comments there.

I didn't start a single thread on Steam, but nice try.
And I didn't "follow" you absolutely nowhere. You're being delusional.
In fact I was absolutely not even registering your presence until you started posting the same bitching at every single reply in this subforum.

I'm also not sure why that would be of ANY relevance even if I did.
At this point it's starting to feel like you are just trolling me.

Last edited by Tuco; 07/03/20 05:57 PM.

enthusiast
enthusiast

This is a trivial statement. There are much more important statements to worry about.

You are one of the trolls from Steam, you make the exact same threads and comments there. Like Eguzky, you are just a cancerous troll. I came here to get away from cancer like you, but you followed and behave just the same. It is a pity that nowhere is safe from toxic cancer gamers like you.

The 'why is everyone calling names!' person calling people names...again.
And calling me out.
Like Cthulhu, but with less tentacles, I rise when named.

This is a SUBJECTIVE view, man. And it's all you do; whine that 'This is not Baulder's Gate' and call people names. Then ask why everyone is being such a meany-face and calling people names.

Do you not have ANY self-awareness? Or do you just go through life assuming everything you say and do is perfect?

YOU don't think this is Baulder's Gate.
I DO think this is Baulder's Gate.

If you don't like the game; just leave? Go do something you enjoy? Watch a movie?
Instead, you stomp onto every thread, whine 'This is not my Baulder's gate', call people cancer who should be ignored because you say so, call people trolls for having a different opinion, and then try to act like you did nothing wrong.

journeyman
journeyman
I understand and, grudgingly, accept their explanation. The day/night cycle (which I do think is very important to have when simulating a *real* D&D game) would be disruptive to their current method of story-telling (which is, judging by DOS2, likely to be a really well done, and fairly linear progression of connecting a variety of story way-points.)

That means that they will, likely, simulate some night events to create some variation. But, lets make no mistake, it will be the poor-man's faux night.

I see no reason that they won't be able to pull off an amazing story/game without a persistent day/night cycle... but in as much as it conflicts with their current method of story-telling I hope they realize that it is a self-inflicted wound. With luck, the foundation laid in BG3 will allow them to expand BG4 to include proper day/night cycles (even if it's only through portions of the unfolding adventures.)

journeyman
journeyman

I brought up DOS2 because Larian put curse and petrify in a game already. Why wouldn't they put them in this one where it makes even more senses? Especially when a bunch of people are calling BG3 as DOS3.

I almost hate the fact that you said this - Larian said they will make this a D&D 5e game, not DOS3. Yet as much as I've tried to "defend" them in the past week saying "ah, they just need to fix a few things" they keep on revealing things that take it further and further from actual D&D and make it look more and more like DOS3.

On a side note the curse and petrify in the DOS 2 (both can only be removed by Bless) was nothing even close to the curse and petrify in D&D (each can be removed in different ways or with a very strong spell), though I feel like they might recycle the petrify to not waste the brown&rocky skin they used.

I return to my original point that they should've actually used 5e rules instead of being afraid to do it, while saying they've used them.

Edit: I just remembered the petrify could be removed with magic armor as well. Nevermind that point then

Last edited by Ugmaro; 07/03/20 07:10 PM.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard