Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
veteran
veteran
Wow, I'm sure this condescendant attitude is way more constructive rolleyes

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
journeyman
journeyman
So this will be less a D&d simulation and more of a choose your own adventure with in depth turn based combat? Sounds like a Japanese rpg to me, which I am not really interested at all.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by anjovis bonus
So this will be less a D&d simulation and more of a choose your own adventure with in depth turn based combat? Sounds like a Japanese rpg to me, which I am not really interested at all.

Wait, what? In what way a D&D simulation is not exactly that: your own adventure with in depth turn based combat? It sounds like you've never played tabletop D&D or something to state such nonsense.

Last edited by Nyanko; 09/03/20 01:47 PM.
veteran
veteran
honestly, it sounds like a big miss to me to present a vampire spawn option without day and night cycle... It's like a huge missed opportunity...

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
enthusiast
enthusiast

Japanese RPG in the vein of Divinity: Original Sin being made for the PC market, nearly 50% of which appears to prefer RTwP and whose name is apparently an attempt to attract players with gaming interests that may not overlap with any of the aforementioned. Also it's supposed to be an accurate reflection of 5E D&D but not always (!), depending on where the devs can cut corners. Hey, they're doing it because Pillars of Eternity 2 failed from a sales and marketing perspective, which is undeniable proof you have to reinvent the series in order to succeed.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Nyanko

Wait, what? In what way a D&D simulation is not exactly that: your own adventure with in depth turn based combat? It sounds like you've never played tabletop D&D or something to state such nonsense.

Freedom of choice, sounds to me like they're putting more emphasis on narrative and less on player choice. You're getting a collection of scenes, much like in a movie or a book rather than have freedom to choose what order you'd like to complete the game in (like you could in Balder's Gate 1 & 2, Fallouts etc. western RPG's).

I'm not saying one if better than the other, but as video game writing and acting is almost always sub par, getting forced to follow a b-movie plot and watch extended exposition scenes just to reach that next scripted combat area does not sound fun to me.

Last edited by anjovis bonus; 09/03/20 03:54 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Nyanko

Freedom of choice, sounds to me like they're putting more emphasis on narrative and less on player choice. You're getting a collection of scenes, much like in a movie or a book rather than have freedom to choose what order you'd like to complete the game in (like you could in Balder's Gate 1 & 2, Fallouts etc. western RPG's).

I'm not saying one if better than the other, but as video game writing and acting is almost always sub par, getting forced to follow a b-movie plot and watch extended exposition scenes just to reach that next scripted combat area does not sound fun to me.

^This, I absolutely agree on this, the more I think about what features are they focused on the more it smells to me like a linear narrative story with less emphasis on player agency(something like ME series(not MEA, that poop doesnt exist)). Like no actual mechanics for Camp other than for talking(Sry Im not impressed with Vamp managing his hunger only in camp section) as oppose to Pathfinder kingmaker (also not saying that pathfinders D/N cycle is perfect but at least it interacts with u in some way, giving u some random events as Pathfinders Camp does with ambushes). Tadpole is there perfectly placed for not having a D/N cycle which also we will not see a none tadpole playthrough if we would wished so not to mention Specials post >

Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
Originally Posted by From the Divinity Original Sin FAQ.

Will Divinity Original Sin 2 have a Day and Night Cycle?

No, we have no plans to introduce a day and night cycle. What we're trying to do at the narrative & scripting level is really complicated, so to even contemplate adding yet another extra dimension of complexity to that gives us a headache. The impact of the player origins combined with a higher level of freedom than the already insane amount of freedom you had in Divinity: Original Sin, added to the options required for multiplayer mode already means that our development is going to be hugely complex. Until we tame all of that, we won't add an extra layer. Perhaps for another game, but definitely not for this one.

edit: I forgot to link the Kickstarter FAQ and put a 2 after sin
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/faqs

This is another Game!!! No night was really the only thing I hated about DOS2. Most monsters are Nocturnal. You giving them all Tadpoles too? (Jumping back on the fence)

To me BG3 gone from must buy to meh.. I will wait & see...

Last edited by PeteRock; 09/03/20 05:21 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
I am surprised multiplayer is the issue. If two players are in the same party then I would expect them to mostly stick together. And if they are apart, well they both should pause and go into combat. Otherwise what's stopping the other player from running half way across the map to help out in combat while his buddy waits on his turn with frozen enemies? Or "freezing" a group of enemies as the other player freely moves around the encounter radius.

It's also curious since when I first heard of no day night cycle I just assumed it was because stealth uses shadows and if the light is not baked into the map then you will get odd calculations as the shadows move. Or likewise have shadows that are darker then they should be just to visually show clear stealth borders.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by 00zim00
I am surprised multiplayer is the issue. If two players are in the same party then I would expect them to mostly stick together. And if they are apart, well they both should pause and go into combat. Otherwise what's stopping the other player from running half way across the map to help out in combat while his buddy waits on his turn with frozen enemies? Or "freezing" a group of enemies as the other player freely moves around the encounter radius.

It's also curious since when I first heard of no day night cycle I just assumed it was because stealth uses shadows and if the light is not baked into the map then you will get odd calculations as the shadows move. Or likewise have shadows that are darker then they should be just to visually show clear stealth borders.

Well, to answer part of it; if your friend is across a map, he doe snot go into turn-based mode.
If he gets close enough to fight; he goes into TB mode. Thus, he can't run around freely inside the combat.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Wormerine
And considering how PoE2 underperformed and we might not see PoE3, it seems that not going traditional way is a smart financial move.

WotC gave licence to Larian precisely because of what they were doing, not in spite of it.

That was an issue of the setting, not of the game itself.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by ThreeL
Originally Posted by Wormerine
And considering how PoE2 underperformed and we might not see PoE3, it seems that not going traditional way is a smart financial move.

WotC gave licence to Larian precisely because of what they were doing, not in spite of it.

That was an issue of the setting, not of the game itself.

The amount of superstition is appalling. It's as if no one read scientific literature or papers on here. Let's say BG3 fails commercially, does that mean no one should ever try making a CRPG again? Or a CRPG with turn-based combat for that matter.

addict
addict
Well this is good then.
So if BG3 setting is good, then sales will be good. Excellent, let's focus our forum attention on that then hehe

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Riandor
Well this is good then.
So if BG3 setting is good, then sales will be good. Excellent, let's focus our forum attention on that then hehe

I am fairly certain that is what the people who commissioned this game are banking on.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by korotama

Japanese RPG in the vein of Divinity: Original Sin being made for the PC market, nearly 50% of which appears to prefer RTwP and whose name is apparently an attempt to attract players with gaming interests that may not overlap with any of the aforementioned. Also it's supposed to be an accurate reflection of 5E D&D but not always (!), depending on where the devs can cut corners. Hey, they're doing it because Pillars of Eternity 2 failed from a sales and marketing perspective, which is undeniable proof you have to reinvent the series in order to succeed.

50% of PC market prefers RTwP over TB....I doubt this very, very much.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Fair enough. 46.4% do. PC Gamer ran a poll recently where more than 33,000 people cast their votes. That's as good a sample as it will ever get as far as video game surveys with respect to the PC market. I don't doubt their data.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
TB/RTwP topic, just as a reminder. Stray posts may be deleted.

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by 00zim00
I am surprised multiplayer is the issue.

It's not *the issue*, it's (potentially) *an* issue.

I don't see why people in group aren't just "on the same clock" regardless of where they are.

If two players are in the same party then I would expect them to mostly stick together.

Frankly, I'd put them all into turn based combat once combat began. It's what I do in PNP games when groups split. I bounce between the group until combat starts... at which point everyone is in the init order and can act only on their turn (even if they're really far away from the action.)

I know they don't want players to be ridiculously far away and unable to make it to combat, but I don't have a problem with that. Groups should stick together if they want to support one another. And if you're not, there are consequences.

But, that said, even if they wanted to give players that were a certain distance away "double moves" so that they have a more realistic opportunity to get into combat faster (combined with allowing waypoint travel when a certain distance away) they could mitigate the issue enough as far as I'm concerned.

So... yeah... that's not really one of the more complicated issues with day/night cycles.

Originally Posted by Raze

While allowing the party to be split up, with some in real time and some in turn based combat, does cause issues with syncing a day/night cycle, that isn't really critical.
The main problem is just the added complexity for doing a day/night cycle properly, on top of already complex scripting and narrative. With level design every NPC needs a place to go at night, those places need contents, etc.

I know larian is maximalist, but still I would not even mind a less complex day and night time cycle. Seeing people going to bed, is not something, what I would miss...
If you do not meet the kids in bigger cities and some specific characters at night, that is enough for me. So some streets, become a bit more emptier.
They go to sleep using their own "waypoints", when not seen on screen.

Weather effects could be something very rare. Rain could cause wet on characters for many turns or just a couple of very-very small spots on the map if any,
to avoid too much elemental effects...

In DAO2 some places are just always very-very bright, that is a way more stranger for me, than seeing, that people not sleep at night in their own apartment...

apprentice
apprentice
Where you want a Day/Night Cycle:

Open World RPG

MMO RPG

BG3 is neither

Peoples are just throwing features into the ring that make no sense from a game design perspective to be disappointed. In a linear story based RPG you want lighting etc as part of game design to establish the mood of a scene. I am equally furious now because I don't have Force Feedback on my console controller when I crash vehicles into the wall while driving a horsecart in BG3.

Last edited by CyberianK; 11/03/20 01:27 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by CyberianK
Where you want a Day/Night Cycle:

Open World RPG

MMO RPG

BG3 is neither

Peoples are just throwing features into the ring that make no sense from a game design perspective to be disappointed. In a linear story based RPG you want lighting etc as part of game design to establish the mood of a scene. I am equally furious now because I don't have Force Feedback on my console controller when I crash vehicles into the wall while driving a horsecart in BG3.

You realise BG1 & BG2 had a day & night cycle right?
People are various degrees of non plussed or dissapointed, but there is a reason.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard