Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
apprentice
apprentice
Im not saying that randomness is good, I thrown random encounters in there just coz I see/notice the pattern of linear design of 2010, Im fine with crafted/scripted encounters but I am not fine with no scripted nights at all coz for example its game breaking to have thievery/sneaking/scouting in a "its always sunny in BG3 sitcom" I am talking about world being "alive" as in to have nights and stuff that happen at nights like encountering more bandits, wolves and what not and at day days stuff, you know.. to have variety in our journey, a sense of time passing by even if it is scripted/crafted..

Originally Posted by Sordak
randomness isnt immersive either.
i dont even disagree with you on the day / night cycle.
bu acting as if fixed encounters are a bad thing is stupid.

handcrafted encounters beat 2d6 goblins any day

Last edited by PeteRock; 20/03/20 02:50 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Eguzky
Originally Posted by Erwin Smith
I don't understand why some people insist on defending the fact that the game doesn't have a day/night cycle and weather.
That is terrible! mainly for BG fans.
These details are important to me! frown

Why do people insist on saying 'This is bad for BG fans'? It's like they're implying that anyone okay with a choice is not a real fan.

It's a narrative choice. It's not going to ruin the game.

Lot of things aren't going to ruin "the" game.... But it's again and again one more thing that won't be like in BG games.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 20/03/20 07:42 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
S
veteran
veteran
S
what you call linearity i call hand crafted.
now id like a day and night cycle too.

but not having random encounters at night means that there cannot be grinding ad it means all encounters are hand picked

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Erwin Smith
I don't understand why some people insist on defending the fact that the game doesn't have a day/night cycle and weather.
That is terrible! mainly for BG fans.
These details are important to me! frown

But it appears that the company making the game don't think it important enough, and I suggest that they are in a better position to judge. Although, of course, their judgement might be wrong smile

apprentice
apprentice
If the game is presenting me immersion breaking stuff like: Sneaking/thieving/scouting only at bright day, if the game has weather not affecting my party with corresponding statuses, if the camp is placed there without any meaningful mechanics except for talking and vamp hunger gimmick, if the game has no night other than in camp as a gimmick ect.. Than dude call it what you want but it's a fact that IT IS nonsensical and IT IS immersion breaking hand crafted or not. (Coz yes all above mentioned CAN be hand crafted and doesn't mean poop. And yes I am aware that encounters will be/are hand crafted and that's not a problem to me, the problem for me would be for example to always encounter bandits close to tombs and not some times wraiths for example. Sense, verity and immersion are the key words and my concern here not a technique used to achieve something. N/D cycle would certainly help but scripted nights are also a solution but no scripted nights at all is nonsensical, encounters not curated by geographical locations is nonsensical.

what you call linearity i call hand crafted.
now id like a day and night cycle too.

but not having random encounters at night means that there cannot be grinding ad it means all encounters are hand picked

S
veteran
veteran
S
obviiously youll encounter wraiths when the developers inend there to be.
When my players encounter undead, it is because ive considered wehter or not there would be undead in the region.
wheres the issue with that?

Some simple D/N cycle "simulation" or some random weather effect time to time, for the cosmetic of the game would be great,
at least in important cities like Baldur Gate, where you go back multiple times.

To have a local ecosystem at some important areas, where you return many times would be nice, even without a real "clock".
So fort Joy is not always joyful, sometimes it is a bit cloudy ect...

addict
addict
I would like day and night as well, but with that said, given a choice between D/N or weather effect ( Fog , rain , snow, tornados smile earthquakes ) I'll take the weather

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
apprentice
apprentice
The problem is that I see the patterns that indicates that they are not giving attention to those areas that gives players the immersion at all such as:

> Seeing in dos2 that weather is there just for looks and not there that actually affects the party in appropriate way. One can assume that BG3 will not be that different of Dos2..
> Larian stating that it will not have D/N cycle
> Specials post that they ignored the the request for D/N cycle in this game, this is the 2nd game and they should at least bake weather that affects us
> Seeing thieving at bright day
> Seeing Camp to be there without any actual reason to be there
.. so on...

that are the things that it seems to me that Larian doesnt gives a poop about immersion and they have set ideas about those elements and that is concerning to me

obviiously youll encounter wraiths when the developers inend there to be.
When my players encounter undead, it is because ive considered wehter or not there would be undead in the region.
wheres the issue with that?

ecosystem is a good idea Minsc but weather for looks is not. Why put it if it has no reason to be there?? its silly to have weather that isnt affecting us as thieving at bright day. well.. Its not silly if they are building a comedy: "BG3: Minsc & Boo" now that is a title XD

Originally Posted by Minsc1122
Some simple D/N cycle "simulation" or some random weather effect time to time, for the cosmetic of the game would be great,
at least in important cities like Baldur Gate, where you go back multiple times.

To have a local ecosystem at some important areas, where you return many times would be nice, even without a real "clock".

Originally Posted by PeteRock
The problem is that I see the patterns that indicates that they are not giving attention to those areas that gives players the immersion at all such as:

ecosystem is a good idea Minsc but weather for looks is not. Why put it if it has no reason to be there?? its silly to have weather that isnt affecting us as thieving at bright day. well.. Its not silly if they are building a comedy: "BG3: Minsc & Boo" now that is a title XD

Originally Posted by Minsc1122

It can affect, what I meant, that I am happy for a minimalist approach for both D/N cycle and weather. No need for implementing crazy AI, or separate bed for each person, or super complex weather system.
To use it as a tool to tell a story not something, that determines a story.

With some "local time zone", for areas without much complexity, and without even a real "clock", which mostly for the looks and feel of the game. Different music for night, or maybe some bandits, appear at some quest events only at night. For the zones where it makes sense to have it they can add it, like main areas you return to.
If they want to leave many areas without time zone, because of quest events, as they are it is also okay...

Weather effects could be:
Like constant wet/cold/warm effect on players depending if it is raining/snowing ect... Fire disapear quicker ect... Of course you would not want the whole map to be electrified, because it is BG3 not DAO2. Make it rare and turn it off while quest are done which do not want any weather.

Darkness sure, can affect the stealth checks, but I think the system is already implemented for that. Maybe weaker the sight of people while it is darker or a bit foggy.

apprentice
apprentice
I dont think that these element are tied at all to storytelling but immersion & how much "just for looks" will be immersion breaking, we will see but I can agree on your valid points Minsc.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard