Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
With all respect.

I have never seen a forum where so much trash talk, quote mining, spreading false rumors about other forum members and condescending behavior are allowed, as the steam forum for BG3.

Are this really the community standard Larian Studios want for their games ?

If it is, then i am not sure that i want to support you any longer, not that i think you care about single individual, but that is how i feel.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Are Steam forums usually moderated?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I couldn't really comment, I don't use Steam forums at all. I can only speak for this forum and should probably reserve comment about other sites which have their own policies.

J'aime le fromage.
addict
addict
Valve moderate steam forums themselves, unless companies opt out. But that’s only a relatively recent thing.

No idea bout Larian in this regard, but it’s possible that the bg3 forums are "only" moderated by valve themselves and your misgivings about Larian would be misplaced, but I don’t know for certain.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Riandor
Valve moderate steam forums themselves, unless companies opt out. But that’s only a relatively recent thing.

No idea bout Larian in this regard, but it’s possible that the bg3 forums are "only" moderated by valve themselves and your misgivings about Larian would be misplaced, but I don’t know for certain.

I have seen other steam forums with their own (not Valve) modarators, and i think it reflects back on Larian Studeos what is allowed there.
ect. you cant even enter the ESO forums with out owning ESO on Steam.

Last edited by Halfling Rogue; 08/03/20 12:56 PM. Reason: Type error
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Halfling Rogue

I have seen other steam forums with their own (not Valve) modarators, and i think it reflects back on valve what is allowed there.

Like I said, certain companies opt out of valve’s moderator scheme and have their own in place

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I have seen other steam forums with their own (not Valve) modarators, and i think it reflects back on Larian Studeos what is allowed there.

Zenimax is a rather larger company than Larian, however, and can dedicate more staff to social media and the like. Otherwise you're talking about volunteers, which comes with its own potential issues.

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
With all respect.

I have never seen a forum where so much trash talk, quote mining, spreading false rumors about other forum members and condescending behavior are allowed, as the steam forum for BG3.

Are this really the community standard Larian Studios want for their games ?

If it is, then i am not sure that i want to support you any longer, not that i think you care about single individual, but that is how i feel.

Most Steam forum moderators for most games (not all), are volunteers. Fans who, in their spare time, moderate the forums.
Of course the devs can talk in those forums, but the mods are not usually company employees, or even paid.

steam is the wild wild west especially when your a game that has such importance on people. DnD is a popular franchise and we dont like see people mess around with aka sword coast legends

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by wpmaura
steam is the wild wild west especially when your a game that has such importance on people. DnD is a popular franchise and we dont like see people mess around with aka sword coast legends

I get that, but that is not a reason to spread false rumers or hate just because some people have different oppinions. (im referring to the steam forum and not your comment)

addict
addict
Baldur's Gate fans just need to let off some steam. Pun intended. Everything should calm down in a week or so.

veteran
veteran

Valve moderate just their own boards OR tend to have global moderators intervening only in case of very explicit illegal behavior.
For any other case, every company is supposed to pay attention to and to moderate their Steam boards, IF they care enough to be bothered with it.

If it's going to be paid "social media manager", volunteers or developers themselves in their spare time is up to them.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
enthusiast
enthusiast

you can't even own Baldur's Gate 3 yet.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Steam moderators only ever get to anything if you report something. Then they will go look and decide.

Discussion moderators are assigned by the owner of the steam-dev credentials for the game and can merge topics, close topics, create new categories and all the other things that steam moderators can in fact not do. Steam moderators have only 3 actions, ban, delete, ignore (Do nothing). Assigned moderators have a ton of other features available to them to order a discussion, they also do not get any reports funnily enough, the reporting feature and assigned moderation people are different systems.

And just to make it clear, steam discussions are HEAVILY moderated. Reports are always going to lead to the above mentioned 3 actions. But developers would do well to employ proper moderation on steam imo. The current situation on bg3 steam discussions is driving newcomers away, and that is not ok imo

Support
Support

Currently I don't think anyone from Larian is actively moderating the BG3 Steam forum, and I don't have mod privileges for that forum.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by eRe4s3r

Steam moderators only ever get to anything if you report something. Then they will go look and decide.

Discussion moderators are assigned by the owner of the steam-dev credentials for the game and can merge topics, close topics, create new categories and all the other things that steam moderators can in fact not do. Steam moderators have only 3 actions, ban, delete, ignore (Do nothing). Assigned moderators have a ton of other features available to them to order a discussion, they also do not get any reports funnily enough, the reporting feature and assigned moderation people are different systems.

And just to make it clear, steam discussions are HEAVILY moderated. Reports are always going to lead to the above mentioned 3 actions. But developers would do well to employ proper moderation on steam imo. The current situation on bg3 steam discussions is driving newcomers away, and that is not ok imo

Agreed even I am thinking of not posting anymore on Baldur's Gate 3 steam and just sticking to this website do to how toxic the Baldur's Gate 3 steam is getting

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by TheInfinitySock

Agreed even I am thinking of not posting anymore on Baldur's Gate 3 steam and just sticking to this website do to how toxic the Baldur's Gate 3 steam is getting

My favorite poster is the dude who made a level 0 account called 'Biggest BG Fan' and made sheep noises at anyone who defended Larian, complete with a sheep icon.
He's since switched to making short, simple posts riddled with typos (which are made deliberately), 'defending' Larian with attacks and generalities in every thread he can find.

He's been doing it for days, I've reported him multiple times, and yet he's still not banned.

Edit: Other Larian-attackers are defending him by claiming it's 'roleplaying', to be insulting Larian fans.

The BG3 steam forums are a barn fire.

Last edited by Eguzky; 08/03/20 09:21 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Eguzky
Originally Posted by TheInfinitySock

My favorite poster is the dude who made a level 0 account called 'Biggest BG Fan' and made sheep noises at anyone who defended Larian, complete with a sheep icon.
He's since switched to making short, simple posts riddled with typos (which are made deliberately), 'defending' Larian with attacks and generalities in every thread he can find.

He's been doing it for days, I've reported him multiple times, and yet he's still not banned.

Edit: Other Larian-attackers are defending him by claiming it's 'roleplaying', to be insulting Larian fans.

The BG3 steam forums are a barn fire.

I saw the sheep toll myself yesterday I don't mind people having fun but there is a limit on how far you should go

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Raze

Currently I don't think anyone from Larian is actively moderating the BG3 Steam forum, and I don't have mod privileges for that forum.

I wish you did, it really needs some cleaning up, i have never seen a forum that toxic as that.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah, that place is a mess, those folks are simply there to abuse one another. I considered myself a long-time BG fan before this, but I wouldn't even admit I was a BG fan after this week and a half of nonsense, it'd be embarrassing to say the least.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard