Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Eguzky #663545 12/03/20 11:37 PM
Joined: Jun 2019
Location: Orion's Belt
member
Offline
member
Joined: Jun 2019
Location: Orion's Belt
Originally Posted by Eguzky
Originally Posted by Doomlord
Originally Posted by Eguzky
Originally Posted by Doomlord
No epic levels... more Doom everyday. I really cant believe this company got this contract, or maybe someone at WotC needs to have a job review?

Oh look, another 'Larian is evil, woe is us' post.

Larian got the job because they are damn good at what they do, and WoTC look at Div 2 and went 'That engine, and those workers, would be great for what we want out of a Baldur's Gate 3 game'.

You DO realize that, in almost every choice made, Larian has to get the go-ahead from WoTC? WoTC, and indeed most IP holders, want a game that meets certain criteria. They don't want a game that ruins their IP, because that means the IP will make less money now and possible NONE in the future, if the IP bombs enough.

So most any choice Larian has implemented, WoTC has had to okay.

I'd assume that would also include the level cap. Maybe Larian felt the high-level spells were too powerful to balance around. Maybe WoTC actually told them to make it level 10 only.

One level every 10 hrs of game play.. I dont even need to argue with you it says it all. And I did say someone at WotC should have there job reviewed as well...


Just because you don't like an idea does not mean someone should be fired.

I'm sorry but this is a HUGE sore point with me. Back before I was on disability, I worked ALLOT of customer service jobs, and I could not count how many times some guy or gal wanted someone fired because their burger did not have cheese on it, or they forgot to say 'no pickles' and expected the worker to read their minds. Or they ordered the wrong meal and decided it was our fault.

I once put up a pizza for 'Smith'. I actually said 'Large sausage & hamburg pizza for Smith. Large sausage & hamburg pizza for Smith. ' over the mic and had to turn to grab another order. Pizza is gone. Smith comes up a minute later (he was in the bathroom), and wonders where his pizza went. I'm confused, because I thought he grabbed it off the counter. We had to make him a replacement pizza, as fast as we could since he was going to a movie with his kids. So he's upset.
Another 5 minutes go by, a 60 year old lady stomps up and starts screaming that we made her VEGGIE PIZZA wrong, and the cook should be fired, and I was incompetent...and then her pizza is put up on the rack, having just finished cooking. (Note: All order have a receipt with the name the customer gave us on it)
This lady heard me say 'SAUSAGE AND HAMBURGER PIZZA FOR SMITH', took it, ate half of it, then realized it was not her pizza..and blamed us. She wanted to be comped her pizza, which she got, hot and ready. I repeat; She wanted us to give her her pizza for free, because she stole someone else's.
Even after she got HER pizza, she was yelling about how stupid we were, and how she was going to call corporate and get us fired. Over HER mistake. She did not ask if it was her pizza. It was clearly sitting on a tray, not covered, with MEAT all over it, and SHE ATE HALF OF IT.
But it was our fault.

People will lie by ordering 'A hamburger, no cheese' and then scream they wanted a cheeseburger, or take the wrong order, so they can get people fired while attempt to get a freaking $6.00 burger meal for free. They don't care that getting someone demoted or fired could cost them food, or an apartment, or their car. They just want instant gratification as the cost of everyone else.

So I bloody loathe when someone gets upset over something and says 'Well <x> should be reviewed/demoted/fired!'.
It does not matter that that could leave some poor worker ultimately homeless, or starving, no. You're unhappy, and someone must pay for it.

/EndRant

Sorry. It just really tweaks me after I spent so long in customer service.


From every site I have visited or community I am part of, I can easily say nearly half is upset about one thing or another, Yes someone should have a job review with those stats IMO , But with that said, I don't want someone losing their job and home over a video game, Maybe I should have worded my feeling better.

Last edited by Doomlord; 12/03/20 11:40 PM.

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. Legion of Doom - Dungeons and Dragons online - server Orion -
Doom ~ Khazadoom ~ Nexus
Eguzky #663547 12/03/20 11:41 PM
Joined: Mar 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Mar 2020
Originally Posted by Eguzky
Originally Posted by Doomlord
Originally Posted by Eguzky
Originally Posted by Doomlord
No epic levels... more Doom everyday. I really cant believe this company got this contract, or maybe someone at WotC needs to have a job review?

Oh look, another 'Larian is evil, woe is us' post.

Larian got the job because they are damn good at what they do, and WoTC look at Div 2 and went 'That engine, and those workers, would be great for what we want out of a Baldur's Gate 3 game'.

You DO realize that, in almost every choice made, Larian has to get the go-ahead from WoTC? WoTC, and indeed most IP holders, want a game that meets certain criteria. They don't want a game that ruins their IP, because that means the IP will make less money now and possible NONE in the future, if the IP bombs enough.

So most any choice Larian has implemented, WoTC has had to okay.

I'd assume that would also include the level cap. Maybe Larian felt the high-level spells were too powerful to balance around. Maybe WoTC actually told them to make it level 10 only.

One level every 10 hrs of game play.. I dont even need to argue with you it says it all. And I did say someone at WotC should have there job reviewed as well...


Just because you don't like an idea does not mean someone should be fired.

I'm sorry but this is a HUGE sore point with me. Back before I was on disability, I worked ALLOT of customer service jobs, and I could not count how many times some guy or gal wanted someone fired because their burger did not have cheese on it, or they forgot to say 'no pickles' and expected the worker to read their minds. Or they ordered the wrong meal and decided it was our fault.

I once put up a pizza for 'Smith'. I actually said 'Large sausage & hamburg pizza for Smith. Large sausage & hamburg pizza for Smith. ' over the mic and had to turn to grab another order. Pizza is gone. Smith comes up a minute later (he was in the bathroom), and wonders where his pizza went. I'm confused, because I thought he grabbed it off the counter. We had to make him a replacement pizza, as fast as we could since he was going to a movie with his kids. So he's upset.
Another 5 minutes go by, a 60 year old lady stomps up and starts screaming that we made her VEGGIE PIZZA wrong, and the cook should be fired, and I was incompetent...and then her pizza is put up on the rack, having just finished cooking. (Note: All order have a receipt with the name the customer gave us on it)
This lady heard me say 'SAUSAGE AND HAMBURGER PIZZA FOR SMITH', took it, ate half of it, then realized it was not her pizza..and blamed us. She wanted to be comped her pizza, which she got, hot and ready. I repeat; She wanted us to give her her pizza for free, because she stole someone else's.
Even after she got HER pizza, she was yelling about how stupid we were, and how she was going to call corporate and get us fired. Over HER mistake. She did not ask if it was her pizza. It was clearly sitting on a tray, not covered, with MEAT all over it, and SHE ATE HALF OF IT.
But it was our fault.

People will lie by ordering 'A hamburger, no cheese' and then scream they wanted a cheeseburger, or take the wrong order, so they can get people fired while attempt to get a freaking $6.00 burger meal for free. They don't care that getting someone demoted or fired could cost them food, or an apartment, or their car. They just want instant gratification as the cost of everyone else.

So I bloody loathe when someone gets upset over something and says 'Well <x> should be reviewed/demoted/fired!'.
It does not matter that that could leave some poor worker ultimately homeless, or starving, no. You're unhappy, and someone must pay for it.

/EndRant

Sorry. It just really tweaks me after I spent so long in customer service.

I do agree with you that firing someone over the level cap is going to far I do not like the level cap but I would never ask for someone to be fired over a level cap also sorry to hear about you being disabled I have been disabled for a really long time so I know how that feels


Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
MasterServo #663548 12/03/20 11:41 PM
Joined: Mar 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Mar 2020
Originally Posted by Doomlord


From every site I have visited or community I am part of, I can easily say nearly half is upset about one thing or another, Yes someone should have a job review with those stats IMO


Not really. It's the internet; someone will ALWAYS be upset. Lots of someones.
Just because someone is upset does not mean someone should get fired or reviewed or demoted, because you can't please everyone. Ever. Too many different personalities and worldviews and personal opinions to ever please anyone.

MasterServo #663549 12/03/20 11:41 PM
Joined: Mar 2019
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Mar 2019
Originally Posted by MasterServo
mages will be basically useless until level 5-6, which I assume would be halfway through the game.


They'll probably do a few "house rules" to help them if so.

As an aside, I wonder what the 10 level cap means for multiclassing. 5/5 max (or 7/3, etc)? Or will you be able to go beyond ten max combinded levels? If so, everyone will be multiclassing to 10/10.

Eguzky #663550 12/03/20 11:46 PM
Joined: Jun 2019
Location: Orion's Belt
member
Offline
member
Joined: Jun 2019
Location: Orion's Belt
Originally Posted by Eguzky
Originally Posted by Doomlord


From every site I have visited or community I am part of, I can easily say nearly half is upset about one thing or another, Yes someone should have a job review with those stats IMO


Not really. It's the internet; someone will ALWAYS be upset. Lots of someones.
Just because someone is upset does not mean someone should get fired or reviewed or demoted, because you can't please everyone. Ever. Too many different personalities and worldviews and personal opinions to ever please anyone.



Well I sure wish the internets was around when I had to find a job, because being a roofer for nearly 30 years, when someone isn't happy.. people get fired. Any way I don't want anyone being fired. Lets let this end here. I like people, and dont want any hate. Just voicing my opinion, Ill tone it down. "Sometimes having peace is better than being right" or something like that


Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. Legion of Doom - Dungeons and Dragons online - server Orion -
Doom ~ Khazadoom ~ Nexus
Doomlord #663558 13/03/20 12:45 AM
Joined: Feb 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Feb 2020
Originally Posted by Doomlord
No epic levels... more Doom everyday. I really cant believe this company got this contract, or maybe someone at WotC needs to have a job review?


I can't believe Wizards of the Coast own D&D. In my opinion they've done very little good with the franchise beyond 3.5

Madaras #663565 13/03/20 01:12 AM
Joined: Mar 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Mar 2020
Originally Posted by Madaras
Originally Posted by Doomlord
No epic levels... more Doom everyday. I really cant believe this company got this contract, or maybe someone at WotC needs to have a job review?


I can't believe Wizards of the Coast own D&D. In my opinion they've done very little good with the franchise beyond 3.5

Hey now! 4th Edition was...

Hey now! Fifth Edition is perfectly fine!

:P

Doomlord #663566 13/03/20 01:16 AM
Joined: Aug 2014
T
member
Offline
member
T
Joined: Aug 2014
Originally Posted by Doomlord

One level every 10 hrs of game play.. I dont even need to argue with you it says it all. And I did say someone at WotC should have there job reviewed as well...


I see where you're coming from, but alot of people enjoy the slow pace. If I got to chose I wouldnt mind there being 20 hours for every level.

Eguzky #663567 13/03/20 01:18 AM
Joined: Mar 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Mar 2020
Originally Posted by Eguzky
Originally Posted by Madaras
Originally Posted by Doomlord
No epic levels... more Doom everyday. I really cant believe this company got this contract, or maybe someone at WotC needs to have a job review?


I can't believe Wizards of the Coast own D&D. In my opinion they've done very little good with the franchise beyond 3.5

Hey now! 4th Edition was...

Hey now! Fifth Edition is perfectly fine!

:P

But 3.5 edition was a lot better than 4th edition and 5th edition


Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
Joined: Mar 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Mar 2020
Originally Posted by TheInfinitySock
Originally Posted by Eguzky
Originally Posted by Madaras
Originally Posted by Doomlord
No epic levels... more Doom everyday. I really cant believe this company got this contract, or maybe someone at WotC needs to have a job review?


I can't believe Wizards of the Coast own D&D. In my opinion they've done very little good with the franchise beyond 3.5

Hey now! 4th Edition was...

Hey now! Fifth Edition is perfectly fine!

:P

But 3.5 edition was a lot better than 4th edition and 5th edition

I will agree to disagree.
My first edition was 3.5, then I went to Pathfinder, then I tried 4th but..ewgh. I feel like 5th has really streamlined it without being overly confusing. 3.5 had allot of clunky mechanics (Don't ever say 'grapple check!' when using 3.5 :P )

I mean, it's good. No argument there! But better? I feel that they are both equally as good.

Emrikol #663571 13/03/20 01:28 AM
Joined: Mar 2020
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Joined: Mar 2020
Originally Posted by Emrikol
Originally Posted by MasterServo
mages will be basically useless until level 5-6, which I assume would be halfway through the game.


They'll probably do a few "house rules" to help them if so.

As an aside, I wonder what the 10 level cap means for multiclassing. 5/5 max (or 7/3, etc)? Or will you be able to go beyond ten max combinded levels? If so, everyone will be multiclassing to 10/10.


If you were able to go past level 10 by multiclassing then everyone would do it, but it would beg the question why not just keep the level cap at 20 as expressed in the 5e handbook and let people level up fully in one class? I think there will probably be a hard cap at level 10 which could also make multiclassing feel pretty useless.

Last edited by vometia; 13/03/20 03:21 AM. Reason: formatting
Eguzky #663572 13/03/20 01:34 AM
Joined: Mar 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Mar 2020
I do agree with you that 5th edition was way better than 4th edition but that's not hard to do the problem I have with 5th edition is it feels like it lacks depth but I also agree with you that 3.5 had some very clunky mechanics the thing I do like about 5th edition was how there streamlined the skills but what I would really like is a 5.5 edition taking the best from 3.5 edition without the clunky mechanics


Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
MasterServo #663577 13/03/20 03:01 AM
Joined: Sep 2015
N
old hand
Offline
old hand
N
Joined: Sep 2015
Mages must be the very reason the level cap is 10 though. Cause some spells at higher lever would be really difficult to implement without making them super overpowered or force to tweak the game design in a too drastic way.

MasterServo #663590 13/03/20 06:20 AM
Joined: May 2017
Location: Europe (GMT+1)
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: May 2017
Location: Europe (GMT+1)
Originally Posted by MasterServo
The reason BG1 had a level 10 cap was because D&D at the time was designed around maxing out at level 10.

Nope. Even back then D&D was designed to max out at lvl20.


My GM Add-ons on Steam.
MasterServo #663597 13/03/20 07:09 AM
Joined: Nov 2010
B
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
B
Joined: Nov 2010
Level 10 cap does sound very low for magic users. You will miss out on tons and tons of cool spells. In addition to that, you don't have many spells slots at lower levels, so you'll be spamming nothing but cantrips most of the time. Pretty disappointing to me.

MasterServo #663599 13/03/20 07:20 AM
Joined: Aug 2019
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Aug 2019
Actually, I don't believe the level cap will be ten, I think it'll be twenty like the core rules. Maybe they're presently working on all the content for levels 1-10, for early access you know. Given the purported length of the game, and the relatively fast leveling in 5e, ten levels doesn't make much sense. Unless, of course, they plan to use milestone leveling, though one notices XP being handed out in the demo for combat.

Ignatius #663602 13/03/20 07:56 AM
Joined: Mar 2020
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Mar 2020
Most of the critics i've seen is about how unlike BG3 is to the BG series, and now that we have a level progression similar to BG 1 people start screeching and screaming blasphemy. It's funny how hard it can be to please people in general.

Last edited by Nalf; 13/03/20 08:54 AM.
Maximuuus #663605 13/03/20 08:50 AM
Joined: Sep 2015
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Sep 2015
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I'm not used to be agree with you, but yea lvl 10 sounds also good to me^^

It wasn't so bad in BG1. You really feel like a noob in the beginning but you could feel the characters becoming more powerfull at each level up... but never OP.


I agree with you.
BG1 was a great and also very large game where you ended up with lv 7-10, depending on your class.
You started very weak and you felt like experienced adventurers in the end, but not like being a god.

Don´t tell me low level spells are useless.
I have not played DnD 5E, but I have played Pathfinder Kingmaker.
- Web made any melee enemy useless, stinking cloud made every enemy useless unless they don´t breath or are immun to poison.
- There was no significant battle where you did not want to have haste.
- good luck trying to finish the game without leser/greater restauration, freedom of movement or protection from poison
- blur/displacement + mirror image was great for any tank

Plus there is a huge balancing problem at the other end of the spectrum.
Spells like wish, time stop or polymorph. Players will rightfully complain if they are not in but it will be hard not to break the game, especially if enemies can use them too.
Sure, BG2 had them, but if you really use the PnP rules some spells can really mess with the game.

I am worried about the next pathfinder game.
You get up to lv 20 plus having mystic powers of angels, demons or dragons when fighting demon lords.
I fear this will be hard to balance. Experienced PnP players will destroy everything as gods while new players will have problems to hit a demon lord at all and they get crushed in one round.


groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
Ignatius #663606 13/03/20 08:56 AM
Joined: Nov 2010
B
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
B
Joined: Nov 2010
Originally Posted by Ignatius
Actually, I don't believe the level cap will be ten, I think it'll be twenty like the core rules. Maybe they're presently working on all the content for levels 1-10, for early access you know. Given the purported length of the game, and the relatively fast leveling in 5e, ten levels doesn't make much sense. Unless, of course, they plan to use milestone leveling, though one notices XP being handed out in the demo for combat.


I think they were pretty clear that the cap is 10 for full release, not early access.

Quote
Can you say anything about the level cap?

NickP: We’re planning to cover levels 1 through 10 in full release.

MasterServo #663609 13/03/20 09:33 AM
Joined: Jun 2014
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jun 2014
There is a level 20 cap but there are bonuses you get per every set of XP beyond that. Hope Larian takes it into account.

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5