Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Seraphael
Originally Posted by TadasGa
I used to play WoW years ago and sometimes game lead designer - Ghostcrawler would sometimes share his decision making process. One thing that stuck with me was him justifying removing some gameplay element, it went something like this (I am heavily paraphrasing, it's been like a decade) - players tend to do what gives optimum results even at expense of fun, even if it's a small advantage and to get it is tedious. It is better game design to remove that option so they can do the fun part without feeling guilty about not maximizing their perfomance.

Interesting observation coming from a developer of WoW, a game where people grind for years on end lol. Larian is going that route with gameplay to avoid excessive save scumming interfering with game-flow and immersion.

However, I would argue the character creation isn't really part of the gameplay and thus won't interfere with fun. It's a one time investment if you want, and if you don't, point buy will be a quicker option. The roll method is not only by the D&D rules, it would also be a homage to the original series, both mechanically and as a way to possibly making the player character feel more outstanding and heroic (in BG 1-2 the PC had unique abilities and powers, in BG 3 the PC is seemingly one of several origin characters who share the same abilities and powers). I really hope Larian adds the option to roll and bring on the super-charged tadpole-spawn! wink

In this regard there is no difference between WoW and BG3.
You start by creating a char (class, race and so on) and you select new stuff every level up. Both games are RPGs after all.
Players tend to min max a lot, so if an option increases your power even a little bit most players will use it even if it makes no sense from a role playing or story perspective.
BG3 is not as competitive as WoW, if you play it as single player nobody else in the world cares how you play and it will be possible to finish it with a not perfectly optimized char, but many players feel "forced" to optimize everything anyway.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
journeyman
journeyman
I hope they give us both options: dice rolls and point pool.

I will defintely go for point pool

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Rafoca

I like this idea.
I will probably try dice rolls first, if both were implemented. If only because I'm known as the most unlucky person in my group.

I once had a character who's sole purpose was that he was attentive and noticed things. best Search, Spot, & Listen in the group.
I had to roll better than a 7 (on a d20) to listen in on a conversation on the other side of a wall.
I rolled 15 times, and never once rolled higher than a 5. (By roll 4, the DM was openly saying 'Yeah..I expected you to hear this, and it's actually NEEDED for the plot, so keep rolling')

I don't know what the odds are on never rolling over 5 on a D20, 15 times in a row, but I somehow did it. :P

journeyman
journeyman
0.25^15...

veteran
veteran
The thing is that we are talking about a videgame in here. In a roleplaying game is fun to have a deaf warlock of 7wis, a half-elf with 8 of charisma or a wizard with 6 of con that can be killed if someone sneezed hard beside him, but in a videogame playing with impaired starts is rarely fun because in most games there are no RP consequences but you have huge penalties.

I mean, you can still talk your way through a Planetaar in BG with a 6 cha half-orc, woo the lady in DoS2 `s Fort Joy with an undead dwarf untrained in persuasion or recite poetry in old english with a 4 int character.
Games like Fallout or Arcanum did it right because you had some speech impairments with very low stats, some dialogues in POE games cannot selected with lower stats, but few games had this feature, so there is little to no reason to not seek high or average stats for your MC.

Last edited by _Vic_; 24/03/20 08:34 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Eguzky
Originally Posted by Rafoca

I like this idea.
I will probably try dice rolls first, if both were implemented. If only because I'm known as the most unlucky person in my group.

I once had a character who's sole purpose was that he was attentive and noticed things. best Search, Spot, & Listen in the group.
I had to roll better than a 7 (on a d20) to listen in on a conversation on the other side of a wall.
I rolled 15 times, and never once rolled higher than a 5. (By roll 4, the DM was openly saying 'Yeah..I expected you to hear this, and it's actually NEEDED for the plot, so keep rolling')

I don't know what the odds are on never rolling over 5 on a D20, 15 times in a row, but I somehow did it. :P

I am thinking about pleasing both type of players, as I imagine implementing both features won't be a lot of work at all.

hahahah fun story, man. I am not lucky as well. Imagine a party with both of us! It wouldn't go well lol

S
veteran
veteran
S
as was said before.
its a video game, theres no DM to compensate for a gimped character, likewise theres no world that goes on if your character dies.
having a shit character is just turning the game into hardmode.
which in itself is fine.

but the option should be picked for all players, not just one.
that means that the host decides if its point buy or rolled

Banned
Banned

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
This idea that you cna't have fun in a crpg with a low stat/'gimped' character is just plain wrong. People have done so for years. I mean, come on. People literally make characters dumb in FO series for giggles. Playing a 'glass canon' mage in BG is fun. Playing an uncharismatic character is a whole sort of challenge in crpgs that useit in dialogue. Playing low stat characters can be hella fun. This is undisputable. I know, because I've had fun doing so. And, so have others.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
I like dice rolling but at the same time I would spend too much time rolling.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Yeah, but that should be your choice. Trust me, I fail my will save when it comes to rerolling to. But, sometimes, I actually prefer a character have a low/random stat.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by 5eRULES!

As much as I'd love to have stat rolling, but dragging 3 year old posts back to the front page is unfortunately not helpful. It actual harms the cause more than it does good...

journeyman
journeyman
Its been shown that its point buy, as much as i would love to roll for stats I'll settle for a mod

My Name is Regulator and im a Hoarder in the lands of Faerûn.

how much stuff is to much stuff, because its certainly not enough stuff.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Locking another necro-ed thread

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard