Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#664070 16/03/20 08:59 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
After that reddit AMA, I can see that there's no place in BG3 for old relics like me, and whenever I try to voice my concerns I'm usually shut down by people that think I'm weird for expecting a similar but upgraded version of the original BGs. Imagine if Blood Bowl 3 went real time without any dice rolling, I'm sure a lot of the original players wouldn't prefer that because that's not what the originals were about, but to then be told why they're so wrong by other fans for expecting a progressive continuation to the original mechanics, or to just straight up not be considered by the new company making said new game..

Anyway. Thanks for the month of excitement, and I genuinely wish you luck, Larian.

Back to the originals and Pathfinder I go. Bannerlord will come out soon, too =D

enthusiast
enthusiast
Fare thee well, sir. All this game needs in order to succeed is for Divinity fans to buy it. Old relics are just a nuisance after all.

apprentice
apprentice
They want to appeal to oldschool fans. If you are really oldschool you remember a time where you did not have the internet to force your opinions on Game Developers by jumping on a bandwagon like here with the "BG3 is just DoS3". I am as oldschool as everyone been playing P&P DnD and Tabletop (as you mentioned BB) for almost 30 years and played all the oldschool games even back to the 80s. Give them the creative breathing room to make the game they want to make and then judge it afterwards. This pressure brigading on here wanting them to make a BG2 clone is tickling my grumpy senses. I can get some feedback like wanting the 6 person party but there are legitimate arguments for 4 as well.

I hope they have a thick enough skin and don't let them get influenced too much by these voices. When we get the Open Beta phase we will see if this game plays well or not. And ultimately its Gameplay together with Story and immersion and authenticity of the full package that decides if this game is good. And if its great you will buy it anyway contrary to what you posted here. We get this "You are not doing what I want I won't buy this" posts in every game community these days it is extremely childish and not the wisdom of old age.

S
veteran
veteran
S
Blood Bowl 1 had a real time mode bruv.
You cant make that comparison anyway, bloodbowl is a game defined ENTIERLY by its mechanics. Its not an RPG, bloodbowl i sa game about playing bloodbowl.
Bloodbowl 2 had some very strong changes from 1. Like the SP mode beeing entierly about the tutorial or the focus of the game shifting heavily towards online leagues.

The issue here is that you refuse to accept anything that isnt 100% your vision.
Well the youre not getting it. If bioware was making this, you also wouldnt get htat.
You cant, unless you start a developer studio yourself.

journeyman
journeyman
You are not not even thirty, young mister! laugh

edit:
Originally Posted by CyberianK
Give them the creative breathing room to make the game they want to make and then judge it afterwards. This pressure... [...]

That is a good attitude. And pressure never produced good games in any way, I would like to add.

Last edited by LaserOstrich; 16/03/20 10:13 AM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Sordak
You cant, unless you start a developer studio yourself.

... and make it a good enough studio in the genre to get the license for Baldur's Gate.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by LaserOstrich
You are not not even thirty, young mister! laugh

edit:
Give them the creative breathing room to make the game they want to make and then judge it afterwards. This pressure... [...]

That is a good attitude. And pressure never produced good games in any way, I would like to add.

Lol nice find😂😂 His like ancient 😂 When BG 2 released he was under 10 😂😂

Last edited by MiQo; 16/03/20 10:17 AM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I meant relic as in the older way of thinking on sticking to the style of previous BGs.

I'm sorry if my post is offending you guys, but there's no need for you to not be respectful.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
We get this "You are not doing what I want I won't buy this" posts in every game community these days it is extremely childish and not the wisdom of old age.

Amen.

I confirm. It's everywhere and for every studio now. Bigs "sagas" are like some... news religions for people in our modern ways... they become dogmatics. I'm "new" in the Larian community, but i can say with experience that is the same on others bigs IP...

It is completely paradoxical.

People want "news things" ( if not, they talk about the recycled side of the game ) but "the same as before" ( if not, they talk about the original game betrayal ).
I've saw that in many "famous" IP these last years, in video games industry, but movies and books are also concerned.
I'm not saying that BG 3 will be a good game / RPG just now, but i 'm not against changes if it is for good reasons ( and being amazed by DoS games make me confident toward Larian ). We will see... maybe i'll not like the game, but for now, it's and by far too soon to say it.

Last edited by The Storyteller; 16/03/20 02:35 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by YezCrusader
I meant relic as in the older way of thinking on sticking to the style of previous BGs.

I'm sorry if my post is offending you guys, but there's no need for you to not be respectful.

I don't feel any of your posts are disrespectful, nor did I aim to be so myself, you just asked a bit for it with 'old men',
but I know how you mean it wink

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by YezCrusader
After that reddit AMA, I can see that there's no place in BG3 for old relics like me, and whenever I try to voice my concerns I'm usually shut down by people that think I'm weird for expecting a similar but upgraded version of the original BGs. Imagine if Blood Bowl 3 went real time without any dice rolling, I'm sure a lot of the original players wouldn't prefer that because that's not what the originals were about, but to then be told why they're so wrong by other fans for expecting a progressive continuation to the original mechanics, or to just straight up not be considered by the new company making said new game..

Anyway. Thanks for the month of excitement, and I genuinely wish you luck, Larian.

Back to the originals and Pathfinder I go. Bannerlord will come out soon, too =D

What is this "Whenever I try to voice my concerns" stuff? Your account has four posts, and two of them are in this thread. One of them was a request for a party size of 6, which many other people have also thought to be a good idea, and in the other you said you were under 30 - so why are you calling yourself an old man?

How can you been dogpiled for "voicing concerns" when you apparently haven't been voicing concerns?

The only way that seems to make sense is if you're accidentally confessing to having multiple accounts posting on these forums at the same time to try and make it seem as if your opinion is popular among more different people than it actually is - AKA "sock-puppeting". Either that or your previous account was banned, and if you were banned, it was likely for a lot of abusive language or aggressive behavior.

addict
addict
Don't think your weird for wanting BG2 upgraded...

I'm over 40 and I admit when I first hear BG3 was in the works my initial thoughts went that way as well, but I am intruiged to see where Larian takes this and I am not against changes. Whilst NWN was a different game, i saw it as Bioware's desire to change and branch their D&D style and I felt it had pros and cons. So in some respects I personally see this as much the same thing.

So I am happy to voice my likes and dislikes, but ultimately know my voice counts little on a forum (though Larian if you want a creative writer...).

I agree with allowing for creative freedom, but I also agree with those expressing concern at too many similarities to DOS. Somewhere in the middle is hopefully the sweet spot.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Stabbey
How can you been dogpiled for "voicing concerns" when you apparently haven't been voicing concerns?

I did wonder about that but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming they meant elsewhere.

The only way that seems to make sense is if you're accidentally confessing to having multiple accounts posting on these forums at the same time to try and make it seem as if your opinion is popular among more different people than it actually is - AKA "sock-puppeting". Either that or your previous account was banned, and if you were banned, it was likely for a lot of abusive language or aggressive behavior.

Well yeah. We've had several instances of that lately. One fairly obvious, another innocuous but odd, the usual sort of stuff. I dare say there are others I may not yet be aware of.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
We get this "You are not doing what I want I won't buy this" posts in every game community these days it is extremely childish and not the wisdom of old age.

I can't say I have seen much childish behaviour here. Disappointment and worry are to be expected from longtime fans. I genuinely don't mind BG3 is being made - BG saga has been complete for some time now, and I have no interest in a direct sequel. Larian approach is interesting, even if I don't believe it will be a game faithfully using the IP (I am not talking about RtwP/artstyle etc. - just overall what the game is trying to accomplish). But I will most likely play it, and if I were back in Uni with a chance for regular LAN parties with friends I would be really looking forward to it. I am confident BG3 will be a good game, and one worth keeping an eye on.

Still, BG2 is pretty important game to me. It open my mind to a possibility of using the gaming medium for storytelling, and I found those interactive adventures inspiring. I was extatic to see the genre come back to life - Pillars had some great things going for it, but was hampered by budget and need to appeal to nostalgia rather then be the best game it can be. Pathfinder's writing and storytelling is pretty crap unfortunately.

In spite of my support to Larian, I can't help but being disappointment that BG3 will not be this deep narrative experience brought to a next level by a large studio development, and lot of cash and 20 years of progress. Storydriven RPGs and immersive sim are my thing, and BG3 could and should(?) be that. BG3 "should be" my thing - the most anticipated game. It is not.

It is not Larian way, however, and I would rather have them make a game they believe in, then have them try to guess what I would like to see. I have accepted what it will be when it was announced that Larian is doing it... and with a sigh of releif. Sometimes we get Bladerunner 2049, but most of the time we don't. In the end I would rather have not-BG BG3, then bad BG3. Unlike Theif-reboot it won't be a wasted opportunity.

S
veteran
veteran
S
Originally Posted by vometia

I did wonder about that but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming they meant elsewhere.

Well yeah. We've had several instances of that lately. One fairly obvious, another innocuous but odd, the usual sort of stuff. I dare say there are others I may not yet be aware of.

Id like to point out that theres evidence of another RPG focused Forum creating sock puppet accounts to dogpile Baldurs Gate 3 related discussions.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well that the thing you can move on with the times or you can stay behind there really is no middle ground you pick one or the other

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
journeyman
journeyman
Ditto Cyberiank. Old man here as well. I love table top D&D so the dice rolling aspect is one thing I have very little problem with.

enthusiast
enthusiast
They want to appeal to oldschool fans. If you are really oldschool you remember a time where you did not have the internet to force your opinions on Game Developers by jumping on a bandwagon like here with the "BG3 is just DoS3". I am as oldschool as everyone been playing P&P DnD and Tabletop (as you mentioned BB) for almost 30 years and played all the oldschool games even back to the 80s. Give them the creative breathing room to make the game they want to make and then judge it afterwards. This pressure brigading on here wanting them to make a BG2 clone is tickling my grumpy senses. I can get some feedback like wanting the 6 person party but there are legitimate arguments for 4 as well.

I hope they have a thick enough skin and don't let them get influenced too much by these voices. When we get the Open Beta phase we will see if this game plays well or not. And ultimately its Gameplay together with Story and immersion and authenticity of the full package that decides if this game is good. And if its great you will buy it anyway contrary to what you posted here. We get this "You are not doing what I want I won't buy this" posts in every game community these days it is extremely childish and not the wisdom of old age.

Agreed I really wish people would just wait until BG3 comes out first to make a judgement I mean you can hardly make a judgement on a game when it is still in it's pre alpha stage

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
veteran
veteran
I thought forum is a place to share ones thoughts on the subject? Like impression of BG3 and likes/dislikes based on what one seen, backed with knowledge of Larian's previous works?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Sordak
Id like to point out that theres evidence of another RPG focused Forum creating sock puppet accounts to dogpile Baldurs Gate 3 related discussions.

Yeah, I know the one, they've been doing the same for years. It's the sort of place that I'm in no hurry to visit...

J'aime le fromage.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard