Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
As was seen in the BG 3 first gameplay video, sometimes in non-combat situations, you have to make a skill check which has on-screen a visible d20 roll. Sometimes you have advantage or disadvantage on rolls. The suspense of waiting to see what the final outcome will be can be exciting. Whether you like, hate or are ambivalent about Critical Role, the drama based around that can be thrilling. Moments such as "Good thing I have advantage because that was a natural 1" or "Natural 20, m-fker!" "Roll again, 'cause you have disavantage!" "...2, m-fker" are exciting.

So, in the circumstance that you have either an advantage of a disadvantage on those rolls (at least for the non-combat ones), I would like the game to display both die rolls, before the highest one for advantage (or the lowest for disadvantage) gets highlighted and the one not selected gets a little dimmer. Possibly even go a little farther, and have the dice rolled at slightly different times, and have the roll which is NOT going to be chosen resolved first about 60-65% of the time, so you see it slightly before the one which it will finally be.

This will not be confusing for the player because the game is going to explain Advantage and Disadvantage in the tutorial and help screens, and display "Advantage!" or "Disadvantage!" along with the die rolls. (If that's not enough, you can, in small text include "Advantage/Disadvantage: Roll two d20, taking the highest/lowest".)

veteran
veteran
great suggestion

I hope they show us both rolls when you have (dis)advantage and it is shown which one is taken after both rolls, e.g. highlight the one taken or strike through the other one.

It would also be nice if there is an option to show why you get (dis)advantage. Experianced players can hide this, but for new players it might be helpful to know that you have advantage because you shoot from a higher position or you have disadvantage because the enemy has buff x or you fight in a very dark environment without having darkvision.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Oh, sure, a very short explanation somewhere in a box or maybe a line in the combat the combat log: "Advantage: High Ground" or "Disadvantage: Dim Light" would be a good idea.

I also not only want to see the two rolls, and why my character has advantage or disadvantage, but I also want to see why my character does NOT have advantage or disadvantage (in 5e, if you have both one or more sources disadvantage AND one or more sources of advantage on a roll, you get NEITHER).

veteran
veteran
In tabletop you have a GM to tell you so, but there are literally dozens of ways to get advantage/disadvantages, so I think it would be a challenge to do it in a videogame

Last edited by _Vic_; 04/05/20 08:01 PM.
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Actually, this talk about combat reminds me that we only saw the on-screen dice roll for non-combat things like persuading the guard to open the door, or trying to feed on your companion. They of course do the dice rolls in combat, but those are only shown in the combat log, probably to keep things moving at a brisk pace.

I only particularly care about seeing both rolls in the non-combat instances which normally show the dice rolls anyway. If you want to see them all the time in combat, that's fine, but personally, I think seeing the rolls all the time (other than what the detailed combat log does) might slow things down a bit, so I'm more concerned about seeing them in non-combat.

veteran
veteran
I have an idea.

Give us the option to show dice rolls or not.
You can chose if you want to see it always, only in combat, only out of combat or never.
When the option is on, show us the rolling dice like in the video which means you have 2 dice when having (dis)advantage.
When the option if off you see it only in the combat log and advantage rolls are written green and disadvantage rolls red.
When you put your mouse over the combat log entry it shows you both rolls and the reason for (dis)advantage.
The reason does not need to be complete, when you have several advantages it is enough when the game tells you the one with the highest priority.
I guess the game checks the conditions in a certain order and it shows you the first (or last, depending on how the list works) relevant entry.

It was very good in PoE 1+2 that the combat log showed a simple entry and when you put your mouse over it you get the full info (dice roll, all damage modifiers, DR or penetration factors and so on)

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard