Next Thread
Print Thread
#668833 20/06/20 01:55 PM
Source Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi

Firstly let me say the music and soundtrack is sounding awesome. I especially loved the music when fighting the spiders in the cavern from the latest gameplay demo, with the atmospheric voice sounds. It created a very Baldurs Gate type atmosphere imho. I also love the words spoken when characters cast spells. That is all heading the right direction I think.

On that note, could you please look into or discuss removing the flute type sounds in the music, for example in the first fight scene against the goblins on the rooftops, the flute sounds were very prominent. It automatically reminds me of Divinity Original sin, and in my opinion is a very easy way to keep the two IP's separate, by keeping the music thematically separate. Don't get me wrong I don't have anything against the flute inspired music, but it doesn't suite BG imho and was something quite specific to the DOS series.

Thanks for the consideration

addict
addict
The flute is not the right instrument for battle music, unless maybe you can get Ian Anderson to play but even then I would do so sparingly ... bagpipes are the obvious way to go.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Argyle
The flute is not the right instrument for battle music

Flute can be whatever it wants to be
https://youtu.be/hAt1b21S97k?t=258

stranger
stranger
I had a professor that would play Jethro Tull before every class while we were getting seated. I swear some people took their sweet ole time.
I haven't seen the play through yet, Music is key element in immersion.
Hoping we're just nic-picking and you weren't taken out the "game" by the flute sounds that would be a problem....
like we currently have with the jump animation.

veteran
veteran
I almost was going to say something along the lines of "how petty can these gripes get..." but I actually did hear that piece in the live stream and instantly recognized it as from DOS 2.

veteran
veteran
Yeah, joking aside, it certainly jumped into D:OS2, which was unexpected as other then that it was quite different tone wise. I don't mind it. If it's the same composer it is unavoidable there will be some stylistic preferences.

Source Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Stabbey
I almost was going to say something along the lines of "how petty can these gripes get..." but I actually did hear that piece in the live stream and instantly recognized it as from DOS 2.

I hear you, I only brought it up because I read in an article that their intention is to keep the IP's as separate as possibly and music tone and style is an easy way to do that. Another example is making the UI design completely unique to BG3. There will obviously be similarities between the games, which I don't have a problem with, but the suggestion is in line with minimizing aspects that would remind one of DOS in an obvious way. Kudos to the team in already making great progress in that direction.

S
veteran
veteran
S
Imagine having such phenomenally bad taste.
Also lmao, like they should apologize for divinity. Who cares if it reminds you of it.

Should they just purge anything simmilar to OS to placate your nostalgia addeld sensibilities?
You realize that maybe thats just the musical styl of the composer?
and thats good, i liked that about OS2. No matter how much you complain, a developer will not be ashamed of their most profitable game so far.

Ive noticed this among the nostalga crowd. Now its "We MIGHT let you get away with making baldurs gate 3 but only if you pretend that your other games never happened and that theres no connection."

you dont have that kind of authority. And quite frankly, its an evolution of the engine. its the same team. get real.

Last edited by Sordak; 21/06/20 07:53 AM.
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
This is Larians take on Baldur's Gate. Trying scrub off everything that reminds you of D:OS 1&2 seems really silly.

addict
addict
I've always thought that the best in-game music is something you don't remember. It imparts the vibe the game wants to convey at any given time without you actually noticing it. This is quite different from the primary opening theme music which you want to be iconic.

From that viewpoint, I thought the music in the latest gameplay was perfect, I didn't notice any of it!

veteran
veteran
Um, no, the best videogame music is stuff you DO remember and can't get out of your head. I've got about 15 GB worth of videogame music on my HD. Do you know how often I listen to music which is bland and forgettable? Never.

S
veteran
veteran
S
you absoluteley should remember game music.
Good game music is stuff like Nerevar rising. not combat theme #7

Last edited by Sordak; 21/06/20 01:20 PM.
addict
addict
You guys just have a different idea of what you want out of game music than me smile

I'm quite happy with BG3 having music I didn't notice.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard