Re: Voiced Protagonist [Re: MicrobicWalnut] #675453
21/09/20 10:13 PM
21/09/20 10:13 PM
Boston , MA
IrenicusBG3 Offline
IrenicusBG3  Offline

Boston , MA
Originally Posted by Wormerine
I will be honest - I don't think you want actors to have creative control over their work - their contribution are absolutely vital but one needs to accept, what the product is - just like music their work is complimentary to the game itself, rather then the point of focus.

That is completely true. This is one of the reasons I didn't like Lohse voice acting as they portrayed her personality as a teenager.

Even worse was Fane. His voice didn't match his character and his personality didn't match his history.

Apart from that, VA in DOS2 was generally good.

Re: Voiced Protagonist [Re: MicrobicWalnut] #675456
21/09/20 10:56 PM
21/09/20 10:56 PM
rak001 Offline
stranger
rak001  Offline
stranger

VA is mostly expensive when you hire well known or sought after talent. A lot of studios in film try new actors for instance "Baby Driver" because it allows the character to shine through the actor without say just being Tom Cruise, and it costs significantly less.

I too wish for VA for my main as well.

Really makes the character creation work well.

In DOS2 I was happy however, given that my character could speak, if very little, and in fact did sometimes converse with people.

Last edited by rak001; 21/09/20 10:57 PM.
Re: Voiced Protagonist [Re: MicrobicWalnut] #675457
21/09/20 11:01 PM
21/09/20 11:01 PM
Lundquist Offline
stranger
Lundquist  Offline
stranger

This does indeed seem to be a very divisive feature. I'll always be for a voiced protagonist, because it seems like I lack some imagination some other people have. When I read text I never hear it as a voice in my head, I just kind of absorb its meaning as I read it - sort of like when you think you are hungry and will go make something to eat, you don't think in your head in a voice: "I am hungry, I will go and make me something to eat". People talking about imagining a voice in their head as they read lines seems very alien to me.
That's why silent protagonists are always lifeless to me.

Re: Voiced Protagonist [Re: MicrobicWalnut] #675458
21/09/20 11:04 PM
21/09/20 11:04 PM
W
Warlocke Online content
old hand
Warlocke  Online Content
old hand
W

You can’t have the same voice for dwarfs as you do for elves, half-orcs shouldn’t sound like githyanki, and gnomes shouldn’t sound like drow.

So how many voices should you need to represent all the different character options?

Let’s say 3, which I think is waaaay too low, but for the sake of argument let’s go with 3.

Multiple them by 2 for both male and female and now we have 6.

But all of the origins characters will be player characters, too. How many will there be?

We have 5 now, so let’s say we end up with 8. I feel that number is on the low end, but I’m being conservative.

So already we have 14 actors reading the lines for all of the main character dialogues in an exceptionally dialogue heavy game.

If Larian can pull something like that off I will be impressed, but I’m not holding my breath.

Last edited by Warlocke; 21/09/20 11:05 PM.
Re: Voiced Protagonist [Re: IrenicusBG3] #675460
21/09/20 11:27 PM
21/09/20 11:27 PM
The Frog & Hounds
vometia Offline

Duchess of Gorgombert
vometia  Offline

Duchess of Gorgombert

The Frog & Hounds
Originally Posted by Dagless
Unless it’s Brian Blessed. Every game should feature Brian Blessed.

True, that. And every TV programme.

Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
That is completely true. This is one of the reasons I didn't like Lohse voice acting as they portrayed her personality as a teenager.

She never struck me as sounding like a teenager, just a rather "bohemian" personality, which is what she was meant to be. That said, I still have a sort of teenage level of maturity but I was actually a teenager back around Victorian times.

I acknowledge it's a risky prospect because of perceptions and expectations, though. There are plenty of examples where it works but sometimes it really doesn't: FO4's female voice actor (edit: proof-reading after the event, as I do, that reads quite oddly: I meant "for the female PC", not "the female actor"!) was good but defined the character in a very particular way; worse still, she defined elements of the story in a very particular way which wasn't how I was playing it. I could've overlooked the dialogue but not the intonation.

Geralt's voice initially sounded very out of place to me with his overbearingly strong American accent. I eventually got used to it and the whole thing blended together simply as Geralt but it took quite a lot longer than was ideal.

If we're doing regional accents, the protagonist in BG3 should have a Brummie accent. Larian likes Brummies. I hasten to add I'm not from Brum.

Last edited by vometia; 21/09/20 11:28 PM.

J'aime le fromage.
Re: Voiced Protagonist [Re: MicrobicWalnut] #675462
21/09/20 11:33 PM
21/09/20 11:33 PM
W
Warlocke Online content
old hand
Warlocke  Online Content
old hand
W

Oh, also on the topic of accents and voice intonations in general: there was a lot of major things I didn’t like about Mass Effect, but one of my more minor but persistent quibbles was that my character was the whitest sounding black man who ever lived. Every time Commander Shepard spoke I couldn’t get over the incongruity of his appearance with his voice. Set voices for custom characters is a tricky tightrope that I’d rather Larian all together ignore.

Re: Voiced Protagonist [Re: vometia] #675464
22/09/20 12:16 AM
22/09/20 12:16 AM
Boston , MA
IrenicusBG3 Offline
IrenicusBG3  Offline

Boston , MA
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by Dagless
Unless it’s Brian Blessed. Every game should feature Brian Blessed.

True, that. And every TV programme.

Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3

She never struck me as sounding like a teenager, just a rather "bohemian" personality, which is what she was meant to be. That said, I still have a sort of teenage level of maturity but I was actually a teenager back around Victorian times.

Maybe not a teenager, but her dialogue was poor (notably the romance) and immature. She had such a dramatic arc that I don't think was explored well because of the way they portrayed her in the game (on top of the lighthearted tone of DOS2). Imoen also did sound like a teenager but her dialogue and drama were better explored.

Had the same problem for Fane. On the other hand I think they did well on the Red Prince (good match on personality/story/VO).

For Geralt, he sounds generic to me with a Batman-ish or Solid Snake-ish vibe. W3 had solid VO, but nobody was really impressive.

Re: Voiced Protagonist [Re: MicrobicWalnut] #675467
22/09/20 12:49 AM
22/09/20 12:49 AM
I
IndySandbagTrick Offline
journeyman
IndySandbagTrick  Offline
journeyman
I

I'll say it again, if it's a full voiced VA (which it is by the sounds...I think), then the option to turn off VA is all that's needed (so it's like how it is now) is all that's needed and boom!, everyone wins smile

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5