Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Joined: May 2016
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: May 2016
I prefer silent protagonists since when the protagonist is voiced it's always a generic boring voice designed to fit all faces the "Tav" voice. When the game comes out I will mod the voice out if it is present, though I would prefer the "silent" button option in CC.

Joined: Sep 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Sep 2020
Protagonist should have a separate sound slider in the menu. Those of us that don't want this new voiced stuff can set this slider to off and the rest of you can keep it on.

Joined: Dec 2020
B
Banned
Offline
Banned
B
Joined: Dec 2020
Originally Posted by pageu
What makes you think, that "overwhelming vast majority of people" won't be satisfied with voiced lines? Because few guys from this forum don't like it?
BEcause it's a well known fact for years now that blank slate characters and voice acting don't mix.


Originally Posted by pageu
Don't be selfish.
Stop projecting.

Originally Posted by pageu
Fully voiced game is far more enjoyable.
No it's not you just want to gloat about your bad taste.

Bruh #746046 22/12/20 10:13 AM
Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Bruh
Originally Posted by pageu
What makes you think, that "overwhelming vast majority of people" won't be satisfied with voiced lines? Because few guys from this forum don't like it?
BEcause it's a well known fact for years now that blank slate characters and voice acting don't mix.


Originally Posted by pageu
Don't be selfish.
Stop projecting.

Originally Posted by pageu
Fully voiced game is far more enjoyable.
No it's not you just want to gloat about your bad taste.
If it's a well-known fact, as you claim it is, then you should have trouble proving it, or at least citing sources showing such.


Lover of non-haughty elves and non-smutty lesbian romance
"1404. I will not spoil the adventure's mandatory ambush by using the cheesy tactic of a "scout"." - From "Things Mr. Welch is no longer allowed to do in a (tabletop) RPG"
Bruh #746051 22/12/20 10:50 AM
Joined: May 2016
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: May 2016
Originally Posted by Bruh
BEcause it's a well known fact for years now that blank slate characters and voice acting don't mix.

In theory they do, just in practice it's impossible. I'm sure that even you would enjoy voice acted character more if you had an option of voice with the right personality for every character you came up with, and voice acting would not reduce the number of available dialogue options.

That would just be a 500+gb game with insane development costs.

I think that our main disagreement here with people that like voiced PC is that we like to play unconventional characters while they like to play "Tav" so it's much easier to satisfy them with a voice.

Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Kadajko
Originally Posted by Bruh
BEcause it's a well known fact for years now that blank slate characters and voice acting don't mix.

In theory they do, just in practice it's impossible. I'm sure that even you would enjoy voice acted character more if you had an option of voice with the right personality for every character you came up with, and voice acting would not reduce the number of available dialogue options.

That would just be a 500+gb game with insane development costs.

I think that our main disagreement here with people that like voiced PC is that we like to play unconventional characters while they like to play "Tav" so it's much easier to satisfy them with a voice.
I'm not sure I agree. I have a very active imagination, personally, and love characterization, so unconventional characters come naturally to me. While my character may be named Tav, she's still unique in various ways within my head, and voice acting will not change that. I just fill in the blanks, create explanations for why she would do or say x. It's something I've done with all games with a protagonist, voiced or otherwise, and it's not particularly hard to do without straying at all from my character, with rare exceptions where the only options are those that my character would never consider doing, which happens just as often with "silent" protagonists as it does with voiced ones in my personal experience. Usually the biggest stretch I have to go with is "It's the right thing to do," or "it's for the greater good," but most of the time it just flows naturally for me as the options make sense with the character, though this may just be because I have a strong streak of making chaotic good characters unless I need a villain (and I don't like playing as the villain, personally, outside of villain protagonist games like War For The Overworld).

(As a side note, I think voice acting only limits character statements somewhat compared to text based, which still has the constraints of only allowing what the devs come up with for the character, meaning you can still end up with situations where your character has only choices s/he would never do the way you imagined them, voicing just tends to reduce the number of options available). Again, all personal opinion.

Also, text based on both sides (to go to the opposite extreme, not to argue against anyone at all, I just feel like ranting a bit about dialogue I don't like) tends to end up with rather wooden sounding dialogue that goes on and on, which is why I write with a text-to-speech program going, to catch the wooden, awkward phrasings that look fine on paper.

The whole voice not matching the character thing (ie a black man with a white man's voice) that was mentioned either here or elsewhere is a valid criticism, however.


Lover of non-haughty elves and non-smutty lesbian romance
"1404. I will not spoil the adventure's mandatory ambush by using the cheesy tactic of a "scout"." - From "Things Mr. Welch is no longer allowed to do in a (tabletop) RPG"
Joined: May 2016
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: May 2016
@zyr1987

I can just give you a practical example: I want to create a feminine male character who is cynical, fearless and rational. 1) There are no feminine male voices available. 2) The voiced PC always shows a lot of emotion ( because otherwise people say that the voice acting is bad and bland. ) Boom, character impossible to create, since every time the character will open their mouth it will not fit.

The problem when you have a voice protagonist is not only with WHAT you can say, but also with HOW you say what you can say. It's not about filling the blanks, it's about how the voice fills these blanks for you in ways that you might dislike.

Joined: Dec 2020
B
Banned
Offline
Banned
B
Joined: Dec 2020
Originally Posted by zyr1987
Originally Posted by Bruh
Originally Posted by pageu
What makes you think, that "overwhelming vast majority of people" won't be satisfied with voiced lines? Because few guys from this forum don't like it?
BEcause it's a well known fact for years now that blank slate characters and voice acting don't mix.


Originally Posted by pageu
Don't be selfish.
Stop projecting.

Originally Posted by pageu
Fully voiced game is far more enjoyable.
No it's not you just want to gloat about your bad taste.
If it's a well-known fact, as you claim it is, then you should have trouble proving it, or at least citing sources showing such.
Same back at you. Prove to me with citations and statistics that people are pefectly satisfied with vocied protagonists that dont represent their ethnicity.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Rugby, UK
Cleric of Innuendo
Offline
Cleric of Innuendo
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Rugby, UK
Let's stop treating personal opinion and 'everybody agrees with me' as hard fact.

Bruh #746343 23/12/20 12:52 PM
Joined: Jun 2020
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Joined: Jun 2020
Originally Posted by Bruh
Originally Posted by zyr1987
Originally Posted by Bruh
Originally Posted by pageu
What makes you think, that "overwhelming vast majority of people" won't be satisfied with voiced lines? Because few guys from this forum don't like it?
BEcause it's a well known fact for years now that blank slate characters and voice acting don't mix.


Originally Posted by pageu
Don't be selfish.
Stop projecting.

Originally Posted by pageu
Fully voiced game is far more enjoyable.
No it's not you just want to gloat about your bad taste.
If it's a well-known fact, as you claim it is, then you should have trouble proving it, or at least citing sources showing such.
Same back at you. Prove to me with citations and statistics that people are pefectly satisfied with vocied protagonists that dont represent their ethnicity.

He doesn't need to, as he never claimed to be speaking for anyone other than himself nor did he state that what he's saying is "a well known fact for years". There are obviously many people in this thread who prefer voice acting, and many who don't. All opinions are valid and it's up to Larian to decide what to do with those opinions and how to best accomodate their playerbase. I'm personally hoping that they will fully voice the main character (with the option of being silent), but I'm not going to pretend my opinion is the only correct one and everyone who disagrees is just "gloating about their bad taste".

Joined: Dec 2020
B
Banned
Offline
Banned
B
Joined: Dec 2020
Originally Posted by MicrobicWalnut
He doesn't need to
Then I don't need to either.

Joined: Jun 2020
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Jun 2020
Really absurd that someone was actually praising the pathetic vague dialog wheel from bioware over "a list of sentences."
Absolute clown world.

Joined: Dec 2020
Y
member
Offline
member
Y
Joined: Dec 2020
Wasn't that bad, Mass effect had a similar wheel. Wasn't that bad either. It was something more UI inventive than...

1. Blah
2. Blaah
3. Bhal
4. Bah

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5