Next Thread
Print Thread
#669059 21/06/20 07:12 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hi everyone,

In the description of Thunderwave in the D&D rules I can read :
"Each creature in a 15-foot cube originating from you must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 2d8 thunder damage and is pushed 10 feet away from you."

The question is about the 15-foot cube.
I don't really understand the "cube" according to what I see in the video.

I'm not a D&D player but a new Baldur's Gate game hype me to read things about it (as I did 20 years ago...).
You may also noticed that EN is not my mothertongue so maybe my understanding of a "cube" is wrong (I guess a square in 3D?).

In the video, we can see (not that good) an arc in front of the character when Sven is starting to launch the spell.
The wave comes out his hands and it's area of effect is that small arc.

When I read the rule, I understand that the wave start from his entire body an has an area of effects of 15 feets at 360°
Am I wrong or is it something that's (still) not according to the rules ?

Last edited by Maximuuus; 21/06/20 07:14 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
I believe most games make maps with grids, each square is 5 feet by 5 feet. So a 15-foot cube is 9 of those squares in a 3*3 pattern (technically 27 in a 3*3*3 pattern, but that only matters for verticality). Originating from you means that at least one point on the cube must be in contact with the square you're standing in.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Thanks a lot for the answer!
If I understand well, "radius" is the word to describe the area of effect I was think to.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
D&D has multiple AoE shapes. Radius would be for a circle, cylinder, or sphere.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard