Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#669745 30/06/20 07:10 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Do you think the races native to the Underdark, Drow, Grey Dwarves and Deep Gnomes, if we choose them as a playable character will suffer from Sunlight Sensitivity as stated in the rules or will the friendly neighbourhood tadpole remove that for us because we've seen Astarion, a High Elf Vampire spawn (a pseudo vampire) is able to walk in the sun without bursting into flames, so it stands to reason our Underdark natives should be fine as well. What do you think?

Evil always finds a way.
addict
addict
Hope they forgo the sunlight sensitivity, doesn't work for a game. And the underdark races are not that overpowered to demand such a big penalty.

veteran
veteran
If they add Sunlight sensitivity, they'll need to put in a day/night cycle. It would not be good to force players selecting Drow to spend most of their time at disadvantage.

veteran
veteran
A vampire walks around in the sunlight without problems.
I do not think drow and others will have problems then.
The toadpole in our heads is a good excuse for everything.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Stabbey
If they add Sunlight sensitivity, they'll need to put in a day/night cycle. It would not be good to force players selecting Drow to spend most of their time at disadvantage.

Having to deal with disadvantages in a RPG is not a bad thing.

veteran
veteran
Sunlight sensitivity penalty was merely a -1 to your rolls in previous versions.
In 5e its automatic disadvantage in attack rolls and perception, (i.e they have to roll twice and take the worst roll, and cancels advantage in your attack rolls) and that is a more troubling penalty in 5e for many classes in comparison.
Drow rogues could not make sneak attacks in daylight, for example (you cannot do them if you`re at a disadvantage).

In a PNP campaign is not a big deal, but in BG3 where RP is not that important and there is a lot of combat involved, the Sunlight sensitivity could be a challenge.

Last edited by _Vic_; 01/07/20 03:02 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by SorcererVictor

You had a sorcerer miss 37 times in a row and shrugged it off. You might not be the best judge of the amount of frustration that others can tolerate.

In pen and paper, the way one might deal with a constant disadvantage in daylight might be to travel at night and rest in the day, which you can't do if it's always daytime.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Based on what I've seen, (We have footage of Swn playing as a Drow in some of the gameplay previews without seeming to suffer any ill effects, then again Early Acess and therefore subject to change) and based on how the day/night cycle works (i.e. none, party and quest during the day, rest at night) and based on the assumption that the tadpole should confer the same benefits to our companion/player character Astarion the Vampire Spawn, we shouldn't be expecting Sunlight Sensitivity to affect our Underdark natives. We probably get more unique dialogue options when discussing our origin, or people reacting as appropriately when seeing an Underdark native go topside.

Evil always finds a way.
They aren't going to force disadvantage on players for 50%+ of the game because of sunlight. If the tadpole gives Astarion the ability to walk in daylight without disadvantage then no other race will have disadvantage that normally would.

addict
addict

You had a sorcerer miss 37 times in a row and shrugged it off. You might not be the best judge of the amount of frustration that others can tolerate.

In pen and paper, the way one might deal with a constant disadvantage in daylight might be to travel at night and rest in the day, which you can't do if it's always daytime.

Was a low level sorcerer on Temple of elemental evil, one of the hardest D&D adaptations to a computer and i did a no re roll run, so i had to put 7 DEX on him and was only 27 times.

On Baldur's Gate, even a mid level sorcerer has very low chances on hitting heavily armored enemies on physical strikes. I believe that a lv 8 sorcerer has base 18 THAC0 (to hit armor class zero, even with THAC0 bonuses, probably he would have 16 THAC0. If the enemy has full plate armor +1(-4 AC vs slashes), the sorcerer needs to roll 20 to hit with a knife. If the sorcerer uses the quarterstaff, with is blunt, he only needs to roll 16. But still only 20%.

When i decided to solo BG2:SoA on hardest difficulty, clay golems was by far the hardest enemies playing as a sorcerer on the earlier chapters.

About sun, a lot of games which has vampires for eg, elder scrolls daggerfall and morrowind had fully fledged sun damage along with other problems if you are a vampire. Even skyrim which is extremely dumbed down, has penalties to health/stamina/magicka on daylight and no regeneration.

Originally Posted by _Vic_
Sunlight sensitivity penalty was merely a -1 to your rolls in previous versions.
In 5e its automatic disadvantage in attack rolls and perception, (i.e they have to roll twice and take the worst roll, and cancels advantage in your attack rolls) and that is a more troubling penalty in 5e for many classes in comparison.
Drow rogues could not make sneak attacks in daylight, for example (you cannot do them if you`re at a disadvantage).

In a PNP campaign is not a big deal, but in BG3 where RP is not that important and there is a lot of combat involved, the Sunlight sensitivity could be a challenge.

Did you played Morrowind as a vampire? You don't just have "sunlight sensitivity", you take constnat sun damage.

Drow is already one of the strongest races on 5e. Why not make the race at disadvantage in certain situations?

Last edited by SorcererVictor; 01/07/20 06:03 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
i dont think tis actually related to the tadpole, i think its simply because in a campaign, you plan around that sutff, you wait till its night, you know where to set ambushes and all that.

in a video game you cannot do that.
The tadpole in general seems to be an excuse to alleviate things that DnD doesnt "let" you do. Or more to the point, that DnD wouldnt otherwise let Larian do.

veteran
veteran

Was a low level sorcerer on Temple of elemental evil, one of the hardest D&D adaptations to a computer and i did a no re roll run, so i had to put 7 DEX on him and was only 27 times.

Oh, it was ONLY a mere, trifling, 27 misses in a row. I stand corrected. You do seem to have failed to understand my point that not everyone is the kind of person who will enjoy missing 27 times in a row.

About sun, a lot of games which has vampires for eg, elder scrolls daggerfall and morrowind had fully fledged sun damage along with other problems if you are a vampire. Even skyrim which is extremely dumbed down, has penalties to health/stamina/magicka on daylight and no regeneration.

That's right, those games do have penalties for going out in the sunlight. They also have a way to avoid going out in the sunlight, by waiting for nighttime.

Which. you. cannot. do. in. Baldurs. Gate. 3.

addict
addict

Oh, it was ONLY a mere, trifling, 27 misses in a row. I stand corrected. You do seem to have failed to understand my point that not everyone is the kind of person who will enjoy missing 27 times in a row.

That's right, those games do have penalties for going out in the sunlight. They also have a way to avoid going out in the sunlight, by waiting for nighttime.

Which. you. cannot. do. in. Baldurs. Gate. 3.

All other party members was hitting the enemy with a decent frequency. My point is simple. You don't need to change any rule to make missing rare. Mainly on 5e which is far less punishing than 2e. Just don't put a deathknight with +3 plate armor, buffed by illusion spells against a low level party.

About Drow, Drow on 5e are so powerful that having to roll with disadvantage in few occasions would't kill the viability of the race,.

About Drow, Drow on 5e are so powerful that having to roll with disadvantage in few occasions would't kill the viability of the race,.

In other settings I might agree with you but BG3 has no day/night cycle so a drow would have disadvantage on everything, 100% of the time that you are outside...which seems to be a pretty big portion of at least Act 1 from what we have seen so far.

stranger
stranger
Sunlight Sensitivity. You have
disadvantage on attack rolls and on
Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on
sight when you, the target of your attack,
or whatever you are trying to perceive is
in direct sunlight.

i think the key word here is how you as a gm decide what trying to perceive in Direct sunlight mean.
it does not necessary mean every target outside during day time is a disadvantage for you.

veteran
veteran
Sadly in BG3 you cannot talk to your DM about it. Mainly because your DM only speaks binary code.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
01010111 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101110 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01110101 01101110 01100111 01100101 01101111 01101110 00100000 01001101 01100001 01110011 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01100100 01101111 00111111

Evil always finds a way.
apprentice
apprentice
Yeah, if you can't even wait for nightfall to do your adventuring, they shouldn't penalize you. The tadpole should apply.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard