Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
addict
OP Offline
addict
"George Ziets is an American video game designer best known as the Creative Lead for the 2007 PC title Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Ziets

Originally Posted by "RPG Codex"
I’ve always thought that the struggles of a new FR deity could be pretty interesting. Think about what the Bhaalspawn would be up against:

• 1) few or no followers in a setting where a god requires worship to survive,
  • 2) no divine portfolio to speak of, and
  • 3) a fortress / headquarters that is still floating somewhere in the Abyss – not friendly territory, even for an evil PC.

Under those circumstances, I think a divine campaign would be a battle for survival. It’s suggested at the end of ToB that Cyric and his allies will be coming after you (whether the player is evil or not) because Cyric took over Bhaal’s divine portfolio. The player, as a nascent god, would be facing off against some powerful deities.

Terrible odds? Yes. But that’s great for a story hook.

Initially the player may just be staving off imminent disaster as Cyric and his friends move quickly against the player – several strong deities against a relatively weak one. I could imagine the player being forced to abandon the Throne of Bhaal and going on the run across the planes. The player’s goal would be to gain followers (faith=power), usurp the divine portfolio of another god, and carve out a base of power in the wider multiverse. Your journey could take you to some of the planes we’ve never visited in a CRPG – Mount Celestia, Limbo, and Mechanus, for example – as well as revisiting old favorites like Sigil, though seeing the City of Doors through the eyes of a minor deity could be a very different experience. In a divine-level planar campaign, the player might stir up a civil war on Mount Celestia, conquer a layer of the Abyss, or assemble an adventuring party of divine avatars. Ultimately you’d take back the Throne of Bhaal, smack down Cyric and his friends, and establish a place for yourself among the pantheon of gods.

Mechanically, it seems like a critical resource would be your divine power, which would rise with your number of followers (humans, divines, demons, or whatever), the extent of your notoriety and influence, and the importance of your divine portfolio. (The concept of divine rank could conceivably replace character level.) You’d create avatars to go adventuring in the various planes, so death wouldn’t force a reload. And as you travel the planes, you might learn ways to change or improve the traits of your avatar, or to create multiple avatars, each with different shapes and abilities, useful for different situations.

That’s just some quick brainstorming, but I think a divine-level BG3 could be a lot of fun, and the Bhaalspawn’s story could certainly go on if developers wanted to pursue it.

source : https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=8728

I honestly loved that premise. However, this doesn't means that Larian's BG3 will gonna be bad.

enthusiast
enthusiast
This sort of game I really could get my teeth into video games rarely get into what happens after you become a deity it does not need to be about the Bhaalspawn’s story you could just be a new deity with your own thing I mean if your portfolio is about murder you are going to have Bhaal and Cyric wanting to kill you

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
addict
OP Offline
addict
Bhaal is dead in the times of BG2...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by SorcererVictor
Bhaal is dead in the times of BG2...

Not in BG3 timeline he is alive and well

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
veteran
veteran
Sounds nice for a fanfiction that I would read.

It does not take into account that the baalspawn could choose not to be a divine (In fact the canon is that the hero of baldurs gate chose not to) and that, in retaliation for his murder of Mystra, which sparked the Spellplague, Lathander, Tyr, and Sune trapped Cyric in the Supreme Throne for 1000 years.[sc: Brian James, E Greenwood (2007) "Grand story of the realms " ]

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by _Vic_

It does not take into account that the baalspawn could choose not to be a divine (In fact the canon is that the hero of baldurs gate chose not to) and that, in retaliation for his murder of Mystra, which sparked the Spellplague, Lathander, Tyr, and Sune trapped Cyric in the Supreme Throne for 1000 years.[sc: Brian James, E Greenwood (2007) "Grand story of the realms " ]

This is why I think it would be better in the long run not to be the Bhaalspawn do to the fact that the Bhaalspawn is dead canon wise anyway

apprentice
apprentice
I like all the gods of FR, but I really hate the idea of literally fighting the gods, or becoming a god. The gods should be mysterious, distant and alien, so that people struggle to discern their will completely (the whole purpose of religion), rather than being able to know it completely. And most of those sort of storylines centred around fighting gods end up killing gods that are way more interesting to the setting than the storyline itself. I.e. Times of Troubles which killed Myrkul and Bhaal, until they were revived in 5e. So I am glad that BG3 most likely won't be oriented around fighting Bhaal. If we are going to fight him in anyway, it should be with his mortal followers, his church and various organizations led by his followers; not with the actual deity himself.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by _Vic_

His answer is from 2007. WoTC din't decided that Bhaalspawn din't ascended and is a human fighter.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by deserk
I like all the gods of FR, but I really hate the idea of literally fighting the gods, or becoming a god. The gods should be mysterious, distant and alien, so that people struggle to discern their will completely (the whole purpose of religion), rather than being able to know it completely. And most of those sort of storylines centred around fighting gods end up killing gods that are way more interesting to the setting than the storyline itself. I.e. Times of Troubles which killed Myrkul and Bhaal, until they were revived in 5e. So I am glad that BG3 most likely won't be oriented around fighting Bhaal. If we are going to fight him in anyway, it should be with his mortal followers, his church and various organizations led by his followers; not with the actual deity himself.

If I remember right in 4e their was a epic destiny that you could have that kinda dealt with this kind of thing about building up a religion it was the demigod destiny you was not so much a powerhouse that you could do anything you wanted you was still mortal and can be killed off I am not a fan of 4e but there did a good job with the epic destinies

addict
OP Offline
addict

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard