Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#673278 26/08/20 08:54 PM
_Vic_ Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Very interesting insight about devil bargainings in BG3 in the interview for PC gamer Magazine

https://segmentnext.com/2020/08/25/baldurs-gate-3-make-pact-devil/

"The consequences of that play out when you get to hell. You don’t necessarily know if you still have fully loyal party members by then"

"Vincke noted that Avernus will put players in moral dilemmas and often, players will be completely unaware of how their actions will impact down the road. As an example, Vincke revealed that Raphael, the devil shown in past gameplay footage, will at some point approach the player and their party members with an offer. The player will never know what their party members said yes to and even for secondary playthroughs, the devil will change his offers. Baldur’s Gate 3 will have several of these dynamic events which will endanger not only the player but also their party members."

Sounds like something I want to play.

Last edited by _Vic_; 26/08/20 08:54 PM.
veteran
veteran
Possibly. Hopefully companions will be given more time to make actual decision. I am also curious what would decide what choices they make - both players and companions face the same problem and may be tempted to reach for various solutions. It is also something designed for coop players. So essencially companions would need to be designed in such a way, so they interact with content designed for players in an interesting way.

Will their choices be determined on our interactions with them? Will there be some hidden system in place? Alignment?

D:OS2 had theoretically an option for your companions to try to grab the Divinity from PC, but it was far to easy to make them like you. It didn't feel great to have them pledge loyalty to you and gave up their goals for no apparent reason.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I challenge you to Legal Kombat! Your Word Fu against my Word Fu!

Evil always finds a way.
_Vic_ Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
This would be also interesting for MP games.

Banned
Banned
Am a fan of what I am hearing. DEALS WITH THE FREAKING DEVIL awesome

enthusiast
enthusiast
They make it sound like Avernus will be an entire Act setting. Pretty cool if you can pull it off realistically. It's arguably one of the most dangerous places in the setting considering it's the primary battlefield of the eternal Blood War. Or maybe we go there in between the acts to see what's the ongoing situation between the Demons and Devils.

Evil always finds a way.
N
old hand
old hand
N
We get to visit the 9 hells and the underdark. What could possibly go wrong ? XD

Last edited by Nyanko; 27/08/20 09:22 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
We could potentially make a deal with a devil or become a mind flayer.

Sign me up.

"I used my last magic poo to check in on my daughter." Scanlan Shorthalt.
_Vic_ Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
When your only options are be snookered or be snookered hard...

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by _Vic_
This would be also interesting for MP games.

Yeah I think I recall Sven or Adam saying this could create some really interesting situation when your MP party makes different deals smile

The greatest of evils we face may lie within
S
veteran
veteran
S
>random elements
i like it.
I replay those kidns of games mostly, so having some stuff change is nice.

The question is: if you play it with a non full PC party, wil the NPCs side agaisnt you? In OS2 that wasnt realy the case (or very easy to avoid)

veteran
veteran
So far the deal with the devil is the most intriguing part of the game. I like questioning whether I trust my companions. (as long as there is on Minsc like figure -- impossibly loyal with good stats)

I'm hoping that WotC gives Larian some leeway with alignment because I think for BG3 to match the tension of BG2 players need to want to do the right thing but be continually frustrated. "I wonder if the paladins will help me rescue Imoen? My church? . . ."

_Vic_ Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Sordak
>random elements
i like it.

The question is: if you play it with a non full PC party, wil the NPCs side agaisnt you? In OS2 that wasnt realy the case (or very easy to avoid)

IIRC in OS2 there are always 2 npcs that go against you, the ones that you do not choose. I wonder if it would be the same or if would be possible that you could have a "betrayal ending" like in "Lost Dimension" where all your companions are traitors and you discover it just when you are confronting the final boss.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by _Vic_
Originally Posted by Sordak
>random elements
i like it.

IIRC in OS2 there are always 2 npcs that go against you, the ones that you do not choose. I wonder if it would be the same or if would be possible that you could have a "betrayal ending" like in "Lost Dimension" where all your companions are traitors and you discover it just when you are confronting the final boss.

Or the "final battle" is against your own traitor party? An ending worth of a game with full developement of game styles. wink

For examble: in single player your playstyle will confront or be similar to the other party characters you recruited during the game, and that playstyle could build the endgame and the final battle with your party characters for a common goal or against your party characters.

In mutiplayer it could be very interesting because of the spontaneous decisions in the last chapter of your real life friends. An examble: I play DoS2 over the last 3 years once in a year for a full week over offline lan with my best friends. We live thousands of miles depart and come together only for lan games in our old city of origin. The last three years we made it in DoS2 the first chapter completely together, while the second year we run over the map partly without knowing which quests the others solved already and the last year we fumbled together from books, stuff we found and quest log what we had to achieve to get the story forth. Maybe we will split in our game decisions some day or play together again the 4th year, who knows. But it would be worth a try in BG3, if this game had different endings for different party decisions, and maybe like in a real D&D P&P style the game master has to plan for a split of character decisions.

Gather your party before venturing forth!
journeyman
journeyman
I think it will be great especially seeing as devils tend to be lawfull evil and the devils in the details of the contract you make with them it be cool if their are ways you can try to outsmart the devil to get what you want without your soul being lossed or if the devil will out smart us and we become threats later

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard